1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a high quality hammer/sear set to replace the typical “high volume production quality” parts in a couple of my 1911’s. It was suggested, by a reliable gunsmith, who does a lot of high quality 1911 work, that I check out the parts by Cylinder & Slide. Fortunately a friend had just purchased one of their Tactical II Trigger Pull kits (which includes hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring and hammer spring). Overall the quality of the machining and finish of the parts seemed excellent….significantly better than the factory parts! On my friend’s Springfield 1911, these parts were truly “drop-in”. The resulting trigger pull was clean, crisp and seemed to be around the advertised pull weight of 4 lbs (we didn’t have a trigger pull gage, but in comparing it to one of his guns with a “known” trigger pull, it seemed about the same…though even a little crisper).

While the complete “kit” is not inexpensive, it is less expensive than buying the components separately and reasonably priced, considering the quality of the components and the fact that they are all matched to work together. My gunsmith says that these parts will probably outlast me. ;-) I managed to find a site that has them on sale at the moment http://www.roguesp.com/cs_tpk.html , but thought I’d check in with the experts here to see what your experience is prior to making my purchase.

Do any of you have experience with the Cylinder and Slide 1911 components?

·
Registered
576 Posts
The search function is your friend. You will find what you need if you use it. You may also want to consider the Yost-Bonitz kit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
re: C&S kits

FYI - C&S kits are recommended by any number of well known top tier gunsmiths, and I think that some of the USMC 1911s contain C&S hammers, sears, etc, although I am not a marine and only have read this in magazines, etc.

Reputation of Yost-Bonitz is top drawer also.

One point I wanted to make is that for your kit to "drop in", it has to match up closely with your thumb safety. The reason why I point this out is that C&S can fit their hammer to their sear, but they have no way of knowing what your thumb safety looks like. My drop in C&S kit worked great, but wasn't anywhere near close with matching up to my oem Springfield Milspec thumbsafety.

Just wanted to point that out, very best regards,

Tim

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Right. Anytime you change your hammer and sear, you better order a new thumb safety - and know how to fit it to block the sear.

The parts may very well drop in - but that doesn't mean your pistol's safety will function correctly after.

(I use C&S hammers and sears in all my 1911's.)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You might want to try.....

Nowlin's kits. It's a little cheaper price wise than C&S and it was truely a drop in kit for my GI 1911. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Good luck,
Joseph

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input. I think that I am going to give it a try with the C&S parts. I will post a follow up as soon as I get the parts installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts