1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking about getting a 75B but then ran across some info about the SP-01 and it looks pretty solid. I have lived with out an accessory rail for a while now and don't think that it would be a must but it is nice to have the option, the higher mag cap is attractive but the price is a little supprising (per mag) considering the fact that they just squoze a couple more cartrages in there. What's up with that price jump? Standard 75B mags are not compatable right?

So in comparison, are the only differences between the 75B and the SP-01 that the SP-01 has a higher mag cap, front strap serrations and an accessory rail? This gun would be used for target shooting, courses and possible carry. Which would you go with?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I would not get an SP-01 if I intended to carry it at all....waaaay to heavy for a 9mm (it weighs more than a GM 1911). It would make a great range gun though IMO (the extra weight would help here) as CZ 75s are usually very accurate.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
With a light/laser combo it would make an excellent nightstand gun as well.

But weight? It never bothered me. I've carried an AMT longslide mated to a Para Ordnance frame, a SIG 229 Sport in .357 SIG and in a lapse of judgement even carried a Grizzly .50 AE with the bushing comp.

Today I carry a 3" S&W 629 Mag Na Ported "Trail Boss" and though it's only got a 3" tube, it still isn't all that light. If you can handle the weight, go for it. It's a formidable sidearm. And what makes it heavy will also make the 9mm shoot even easier than it already is.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Pop,

I bought the CZ 75 TS for a range gun. It came with 3 mags. that hold 20 rds each.

I bought adjustable rear sights and fiber optic fronts from Ghost Products.(nice people)
The trigger is extremely light and a pleasure to shoot.

This is a large pistol but it fits my small hands just fine. I have had no failures of any kind after 1000 rd. +. It is a very accurate pistol and I would buy it again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
3 of my shooting mates have the SP-01-Shadow.
What a great gun for a good price.

But you realy have to be sure what you want to do with it.

The SP-01 is here mostly...if not only used for IPSC-Shooting.

For target-shooting you will find better guns...
And as an EDC it is realy to heavy.

Get a S&W M&P in 9mm and you have at leat the carry and cources covered.
Or a Glock or a SA-XD...

But this are not all "bullseye" guns...but sure accurate...I don´t know how high you want to go.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, thanks for the feedback guys. I am not looking for a super accurate handgun, mostly a fairly accurate and very reliable 9mm. I like the more "potent" cals but I think that having a 9mm is a good idea, easy to find ammo and WAY cheaper than big old 230grn .45s. As mentioned by soemone else, an HD pistol as well.

I was soooo impressed when I picked one up at a local store the other day. I like the idea of a beaver tail and all metal construction. It's becoming so rare now days! X-mas cleaned me out so it will be a little while before I am able to get one but I think that it will be my next purchase.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I fondled one at Gander Mt. the other day just for giggles. It was an exceptionally heavy gun! It would make a great competition gun or a bedside gun, but would be awfully heavy for daily carry.

The ergonomics were excellent. The 9mm CZ platform fits my hand exceptionally well. The sights were perfectly adequate. The SA pull was nothing to write home about and had plenty of take-up and creep. The DA pull was smooth without any perceptible stacking. It was very revolver-like.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would go with the 75b. I will probably follow my own advice too.
I just looked at the same choice at the store and wanted to like the SPO1. I found it way too heavy and the light rail unnecessary. Leather is probably not as available for the SPO1 and daily carry would just not happen for me.
The 75 only lacks sights for my taste and that should prove to be easily solved. My current Commander has had sights installed, Novacks, and that was painless.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Next to the 1911 nothing else including the Hi-power feels as good in my hands. I have never found a CZ SP-01 to hold, but my CZ 75 feels good in my hand with only the long trigger reach being a problem. I do find the CZs' with decockers have a shorter trigger reach if that is a problem for you.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for your input. What other full size all steel pistols would you recomend (besides Beretta)? I know BHP are well respected pistols but I unfortunatly have not found one to fire.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Just letting you know that standard 16 round CZ mags will work in the SP 01.

You could consider Taurus's version of the Beretta 92. The PT 92 and 99 have a frame mounted safety allows for condition one carry and they also have versions with rails. Mag capacity for those are 17 rounds.

The safety also does extra duty as a decocking lever if you prefer DA for the first shot.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have been debating w/ myself if I should sell my 75B & upgrade to an SP01 but still haven't made the jump. Let us know how U net out.

O2B.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Although I usually advise against selling a 75B replacing it with an SP-01 isn’t a bad move if you can’t afford both. The guns are the same basic design and except for the weight and capacity of the SP-01. The SP-01 is just as reliable as the 75B. My SP-01 has been completely reliable, including reman and steel case ammo. My 75B is in .40 and it’s quite the shooter – if only the ammo wasn’t so expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Love the feel of the SP01..besides the feel of the 1911..the CZ is great..
I use my SP01 for USPSA production mostly..and find it very very accurate for a service grade gun and very reliable..

The beavertail is the biggest gain over the std 75 model..allows for a higher and deeper grip..

I like the feel of the frame, that I decided to convert a 75SA model to DA/SA.
lighter to carry..so makes a great carry gun as well as competition gun.
This one still needs to have a CZ competition hammer, ext ambi safeties fitted and to go off for an action job..

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Very nice pictures of your CZs' eerw. I only have regular CZs' and have never even held the frames of a SP-01 or their SAs'. Could you comment on how their frames feel better and if you have tried a trigger stop in them? Are you going to send it to Angus for the trigger work?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
eerw, nice pistols, share a little more details on them if you would be so kind. Really like the grips, if I may, where did you find them? I'm looking for a 9 and I owned a CZ years ago, if I don't do it in the 1911 or HP platforms it will be a CZ.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Very nice pictures of your CZs' eerw. I only have regular CZs' and have never even held the frames of a SP-01 or their SAs'. Could you comment on how their frames feel better and if you have tried a trigger stop in them? Are you going to send it to Angus for the trigger work?
what I like about the SP01 and the SA frame is the more upswept beavertail..it allows you to get just a slightly higher and deeper grip on the gun than the standard frame..two other little pluses that I like are the ext. mag release..it is bigger and slightly longer than the std version..and the frame allows you to use the ext thumbsafeties..which I like and can reach.
The SA framed gun will go off to Matt Mink for an action job and to install a CZ competition hammer..and refit the safeties while its there..

eerw, nice pistols, share a little more details on them if you would be so kind. Really like the grips, if I may, where did you find them? I'm looking for a 9 and I owned a CZ years ago, if I don't do it in the 1911 or HP platforms it will be a CZ.

both guns have been tweaked a bit..new sights, action job, new grips, etc..
the CZ grips are really thin..and give the gun a really nice feel..I have small hands and short fingers..so all this helps me..

you can get the grips through Angus Hobdell at Ghostholster.com

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you want to use the SP01 for IDPA it will have to go on a diet. It can make it with some simple mods. I have a now 17 year old CZ75 that is my favorite shooter, converted by Angus to SA only 3 years ago. Reliable and easy to shoot well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts