1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I hate to say this but I see this a great thing. Colt will most likely have some stronger leadership and a lot more financial freedom.
Hopefully they will become a leader in the industry instead of being a day late and a dollar short on new models and features while keeping the same North American sourced manufacturing materials.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really hate to see an American brand that stood for quality have issues and have to be bought out. But in the last few years trying to get replacements or spare parts that are actually Colt manufactured parts has been a pain. I'm hoping with an injection of capitol and some help with leadership we could see more parts or fully complete fireamrs on the market with maybe some hiring of more staff. That is as long as they do not trade for good quality.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm cautiously optimistic.
Colt could have ended up loaded with debt, stripped of all assets, then sailed into the rocks of bankruptcy.
There are CEOs that collect big bonuses for doing just that.

Instead they are picked up by a company that wants to make and sell firearms.
I'd keep an eye out for signals of their intentions of preserving jobs in unfriendly government atmospheres. Union jobs with legacy liabilities.
Colt has valuable skilled workforce in place there in the Northeast...what happens here?

How will Colt and Dan Wesson come out of the chute here in our area of interest, the 1911?

I have managed to scratch together a few Colt 1911s. I've also managed to acquire a Dan Wesson Pointman Carry made in 2019.
When the smoke clears will these pre acquisition pistols be worth more or less?
The Rampant Colt lives on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I can’t see how it won’t be a good thing. As Ingramite noted, it will be the first time in quite a while Colt will be owned by someone who wants to manufacture and sell firearms.

There will be changes, but, better that than being leveraged and sucked dry by private equity firms.

·
Registered
581 Posts
When the smoke clears will these pre acquisition pistols be worth more or less?
More. Just like the old Winchesters.

Collectors will forever separate them into Colts and Coltz.

On a good note, I think that the quality will become more consistent. Colt can make a good gun now. Cz will force them to up their QC game.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I accept this with open arms...Every CZ (3 rimfires rifles and 2 75s) have been excellent weapons...Can't say the same for my two recent Colt purchases...CZ & DW already have a partnership...Perhaps if everything comes together, they can save a battered brand...

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I can't think of a firearms company I would rather see grab the grand ol' Blue Dome. CZ has a long history of excellent design , state of the art manufacturing and high quality old world craftsmanship.
In fact , I have more CZ auto pistols than every other make except Colt!

Any American-owned conglomerate that would buy it would just ruin the name even more. Or kill it completely.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
(MKK41the blue dome was abandoned in the 90s!, they're in a hideous factory in West Hartford now.)

I couldn't agree more- CZ has had a great rep since the early 20th century. I am glad everyone seems to be happy about it. People who are upset are acting like Hi Point bought them!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
As a 1911 enthusiast- I love this... the choices were Colt resurrected under CZ or a firesale of old equipment and no more colt.

CZ is great, stand alone, but as a Dan Wesson customer, I don't like it because DW has slipped A LOT in the last few years under CZ.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They will need to address their customer service. I have multiple, months old inquiries that have gone unanswered by the CZ customer service team. I just moved on and bought something else after not hearing back.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
CZ and it's acquired companies are making the finest quality handguns in America right now. I would LOVE to see them bring that kind of quality back to Colt. Hell, I might even be tempted to buy one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They will need to address their customer service. I have multiple, months old inquiries that have gone unanswered by the CZ customer service team. I just moved on and bought something else after not hearing back.
I had to send a Colt back due to cracked frame with reservations after reading all the horror stories. The customer service was good, I had a new gun within a few weeks. Maybe it was quicker because they didn’t have to fix it, just replace it.

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
I really hate to see an American brand that stood for quality have issues and have to be bought out.
Colt was first bought out in the 1960s... by an investment group that couldn't care less about firearms or the Second Amendment. For the first time in 60 years they are now a GUN company first and foremost once again. I couldn't care less that they're now owned by a bunch of Czechs. They probably know more about freedom than most younger Americans do these days.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
This is a very good thing. I'll raise MAYHEM on his point: I believe CZ is making the finest, massed-produced firearms at the moment, period. I know that says a lot considering some of the competition, but I honestly haven't come across a bad example of their work, be it pistol, PCC, rifle or shotgun. Dreadful thought, but, If I were limited to only one make, it would be CZ.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
This is a very good thing. I'll raise MAYHEM on his point: I believe CZ is making the finest, massed-produced firearms at the moment, period. I know that says a lot considering some of the competition, but I honestly haven't come across a bad example of their work, be it pistol, PCC, rifle or shotgun. Dreadful thought, but, If I were limited to only one make, it would be CZ.
I agree. Service/defense pistols, competition pistols, military rifles, hunting rifles, shotguns.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts