1911Forum banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I wouldn't take any public consumption early acquisition statements as gospel.... anywhere.
Watch what they do, not what they say.

Colt fiscal management has been abysmal. Pleased about CZ buying Colt, but pretty sure change is going to be necessary.

·
Registered
138 Posts
[Interesting aside here: when a company increases its product quality, the result is actually decreased cost of customer service and lowwer product warranty repairs. That formula was preached by management guru Edward Demming in the 1950s and early 1960s, initially in the US to deaf ears, and later to the Japanese, who fully bought into the notion of continuously-improving product quality in everything the Japanese made. But corporate America failed to recognize that relationship - check out Chrysler in the 1970s-1980s as a prime example of what declining product quality did to the company's existence.]
1986, finally. The year GM got the message. I was a service advisor from Oct 1983 until January 2017. Were they perfect? Nope. But every year since 1986 the product got better.
[/QUOTE]

I saw this happen to many companies. Short term thinking did in many.

·
Registered
407 Posts
CZ's statement about Colt's management competency is standard corporatespeak. It means nothing. CZ will make changes as it sees necessary. We'll all learn what the outcome is as events unfold.
That's pretty routine; the acquiring company doesn't want to be portrayed as the stereotypical corporate bad guy by the media.
Once the dust settles and the media Eye casts its gaze elsewhere the purges, downsizing and streamlining will begin.

For example, I'm in the foodservice business. You've probably heard of Viking, which for decades has been perceived as the top quality manufacturer of ranges, ovens, etc. in the USA.
Not too many years ago, an industry conglomerate called The Middleby Corporation bought family-owned Viking. Immediately, the Middleby CEO appeared before the employees (and the cameras) with the current Viking CEO who specifically reassured the employees that no one would be losing their job.

Once things had died down and media attention moved elsewhere, Middleby management appointed a new CEO and immediately started reorganizing Viking, beginning with numerous firings.

So, expect a lot of deadweight to be heaved overboard once CZ has evaluated Colt and decided how to move forward. And honestly, firing is the least that Colt management needs.
Maybe some American company will acquire Colt in future, but I'd rather see Colt owned by a solid firearms company like CZ than picked apart in bankruptcy like Remington.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Read another article that CZ is building a new $90M manufacturing facility in Little Rock, Arkansas. The timing suggests this might be for Colt, and I suggest this might be the start of a southern migration for Colt's operations - the civilian part, at least. They could leave the military part in Hartford, because Connecticut might loathe the civilian ownership of firearms, they love an armed-up government (and the spending of taxpayer money, and the tax revenue). This will be interesting to watch as it develops.
ETA: Here's an article in the Arkansas Business Journal on the subject: CZ-USA Parent Buys US Gun Maker Colt

·
Registered
108 Posts
your "effite" in the last paragraph is spelled effete. Sorry I'm an English teacher couldn't help myself. I use spell checkers myself.

I love my CZ and Dan Wesson products have seemed to hold up. This made in America or not made at all b.s. was debunked by Toyota a long time ago. Biden America is not the old America anyway, so who cares? My Glocks were made in Austria and who cares? It's who makes the better mousetrap is what counts. And that used to be a well known American slogan and philosophy.
Glock moved production to New Smyrna GA. For its newer models. My G41 was made here as was my G43.

·
Registered
800 Posts
your "effite" in the last paragraph is spelled effete. Sorry I'm an English teacher couldn't help myself. I use spell checkers myself.

I love my CZ and Dan Wesson products have seemed to hold up. This made in America or not made at all b.s. was debunked by Toyota a long time ago. Biden America is not the old America anyway, so who cares? My Glocks were made in Austria and who cares? It's who makes the better mousetrap is what counts. And that used to be a well known American slogan and philosophy.
Caring about your countrymen is back in style if you haven’t been around. Yes, it matters to me and many others who gets the salary to make a product that I buy. I would rather it be my neighbor than a foreigner. Toyotas btw, tons of them are made in US.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ditto guys. Colt management in the last 40 years has been a complete disaster which is what you get when you put bean counters in to run the company at GM or Colt. CZ will only IMPROVE the Colt guns and THAT IS A GOOD THING.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hope so. I bought a CZ Mallard O/U 12ga in 2013. It was the worst fitting firearm I had bought. I could never install the choke tubes without the threads stripping. I sent the barrel back three times to have it rethreaded. The barrel and receiver fit was too tight. It was a struggle to break it open to eject the spent shells and reload. I sent the shotgun back for that repair. It was past the return period so I sold it for a loss. I used what little I got for it plus overtime money to buy a Browning Citori Satin Hunter $1200. After an afternoon shooting trap and skeet I wished I'd never bought that CZ.

Maybe their products are better than they were. If not they'll be producing lots and lots of junk.

Maybe our pre-CZ Colts will be worth more?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I hope so. I bought a CZ Mallard O/U 12ga in 2013. It was the worst fitting firearm I had bought. I could never install the choke tubes without the threads stripping. I sent the barrel back three times to have it rethreaded. The barrel and receiver fit was too tight. It was a struggle to break it open to eject the spent shells and reload. I sent the shotgun back for that repair. It was past the return period so I sold it for a loss. I used what little I got for it plus overtime money to buy a Browning Citori Satin Hunter $1200. After an afternoon shooting trap and skeet I wished I'd never bought that CZ.

Maybe their products are better than they were. If not they'll be producing lots and lots of junk.

Maybe our pre-CZ Colts will be worth more?
CZ firearms has always been good products. Their .22 carbines and the CZ 75 series a simply great performers.
Furthermore, CZ represents a great european nation who truly believes in the right to own guns an personal liberties. A sample to follow..

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

(Maybe our pre-CZ Colts will be worth more?
)
I am wondering this myself!

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
)
I am wondering this myself!
The CZ Mallard is a Turkish made piece of crap. Not to be confused with the Check Republic made pistols/rifles or the American made CZ/Dan Wesson products. Have no fear, I believe the future of Colt products will amount to a better and more available product, and it will remain made in the USA, by American workers.

Reactions: Frank Vaccaro

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Colt hit rock bottom so CZ bought them the only way is up now.
CZ buying Colt is a write off let’s face it till they restructure.
CZ is moving Colt to a gun free state down south we’re they offer free taxes for five years.

My question is remember when CZ offered there version of the 1911a1? They did a short manufacturing limited run. We’re they testing the 1911a1 sales market in offering another brand of 1911’s? Maybe CZ found out they couldn’t handle the increased production in manufacturing another 1911. So figuring by buying colt they can operate a sister company. Think about it.

Which stocks are we going to buy CZ or Colt or both. One of the last mergers I purchased the lower priced stock. When the merger was finalized the lower stock increased more to the higher price.

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
My question is remember when CZ offered there version of the 1911a1? They did a short manufacturing limited run. We’re they testing the 1911a1 sales market in offering another brand of 1911’s? Maybe CZ found out they couldn’t handle the increased production in manufacturing another 1911. So figuring by buying colt they can operate a sister company.
The CZ 1911-A1 was a really nice gun, but CZ lost money on them. They were trying to keep them at an $800 price point IIRC, but it didn't work. As a result they ended production after only about 1000 units, and then tried to bring it back in a slightly fancier version under the Dan Wesson name called the A2 with things like a beavertail and bobbed hammer to justify the price increase. They didn't sell very well because just a couple hundred dollars more put you in DW Heritage range, with a better set of features.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Colt hit rock bottom so CZ bought them the only way is up now.
CZ buying Colt is a write off let’s face it till they restructure.
CZ is moving Colt to a gun free state down south we’re they offer free taxes for five years.

My question is remember when CZ offered there version of the 1911a1? They did a short manufacturing limited run. We’re they testing the 1911a1 sales market in offering another brand of 1911’s? Maybe CZ found out they couldn’t handle the increased production in manufacturing another 1911. So figuring by buying colt they can operate a sister company. Think about it.

Which stocks are we going to buy CZ or Colt or both. One of the last mergers I purchased the lower priced stock. When the merger was finalized the lower stock increased more to the higher price.
CZ did not take over Colt looking for a way to manufacture 1911s, CZ took over Colt just because Colt is still a great company with good products and because of Colt position as provider for the US Armed Forces as well as all around the world (we are Colt Defense distributors in this part of the world and you could be amazed how well Colt Defense products sell among official and goverment institutions), that is what CZ is looking for.

As distributors, we have received no word about any move to Little Rock, AR. In fact we have received word that production will remain in CT.

Maybe I wrong I am not saying this is going to happen or is the final truth but that is what we have been told.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Colt is a private company. No stock for you to purchase.

·
Registered
763 Posts
More. Just like the old Winchesters.

Collectors will forever separate them into Colts and Coltz.

On a good note, I think that the quality will become more consistent. Colt can make a good gun now. Cz will force them to up their QC game.
I agree, QC will have to get better, plus I believe they want to move colt, to Arkansas.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The CZ Mallard is a Turkish made piece of crap. Not to be confused with the Check Republic made pistols/rifles or the American made CZ/Dan Wesson products. Have no fear, I believe the future of Colt products will amount to a better and more available product, and it will remain made in the USA, by American workers.
CZ is the same company that sold that piece of crap. I was just on their website where it states the Mallard was discontinued in 2015. Don't be telling me it ain't the same company. I bought that piece of crap from the same company that sells your wonderful Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
CZ did not take over Colt looking for a way to manufacture 1911s, CZ took over Colt just because Colt is still a great company with good products and because of Colt position as provider for the US Armed Forces as well as all around the world (we are Colt Defense distributors in this part of the world and you could be amazed how well Colt Defense products sell among official and goverment institutions), that is what CZ is looking for.

As distributors, we have received no word about any move to Little Rock, AR. In fact we have received word that production will remain in CT.

Maybe I wrong I am not saying this is going to happen or is the final truth but that is what we have been told.
Colt might be able to sell to foreign military markets but they won’t be making much more money off the US Military.

the US Army is currently working with three entities to develop the new infantry rifle and Colt isn’t one of them. Neither is FN. the three players are Textron, SIG Sauer and General Dynamics (with Beretta’s involvement).

The US Marine Corps is buying HK-made M27 to replace the M4 as their main infantry rifle.

141 - 160 of 184 Posts