1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm trying to make a decision on my next gun. It's between a CZ85 and a 1911. The 1911 would be in .45 acp. The more "basic" new 1911's around here start around $750 for a S.A. Loaded, or lower level Kimber. A CZ85 combat is about $200 less. BTW, I would want the 85 over the 75 because I need the ambi thumb safety, free-dropping mags and, possibly, adjustable sight. I had a Loaded until last year, but after it broke, and S.A. replaced the barrel and bushing, it was never 100% again (but much more accurate than stock).

My current pistol for shorter range competition is an XD9 Service, and it's fine for that, but I can easily outshoot it with my friend's Kimber at maximum indoor range distances.

My main requirement is accuracy, out to 25 yards. Not bullseye, but other competition. I'm not going to drop bucks on "upgrades", so I want accuracy out of the box. Without an unlimited bankroll, will I lose much- or anything- with the CZ as opposed to a stock 1911? I hope I made myself clear here. Any input would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Chuck, you need to send the SA back. After making sure the malfunctions are not bad magazine or bad ammo related, contact SA and let the nice lady in customer service know what problems you are having. They will fix it.

I like CZs. Since you already have a 1911, I would buy the CZ85. Should you be moved toward another 1911, I would suggest a Colt S70 reissue. Whatever you do decide to buy, get a .22lr conversion kit to go with it for even cheaper practice.

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy- I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I don't have the S.A. Loaded any more. Trip back to Geneseo didn't help that much. Also- if I get a 1911 without the ambi safety, I'll have to spend a decent amount of bucks to install one. Extra expense. Wish I still had the Loaded, and it was 100%, but I also wish Chicago would petition the NFL for a pro team here!:biglaugh:

Chuck

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is a tough call, because I love my Pointman 7, but I also love my CZ 75. Honestly, though, for the price I don't think you can beat the CZ. Then again, you can usually find the DW's for good prices too (I paid under $900 for mine, NIB in May, the CZ was tagged $499 and I actually left with money from the Kimber I traded). In terms of straight out of the box accuracy/reliability, I think the CZ would take it from the start, but after a good break-in the 1911 would catch right up.

I'm gonna have to say 1 of each, just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
My wife and I own 8 CZs and about 36 1911s (an a bunch of plastic). Each CZ comes with a test target with five shots at 25 meters. The dispersion area on one of our full CZs is about 2 inches while one compact is 4". Just ask to see the test target inside the box before you buy.

A full size CZ with the CZ Custom Shop competition trigger (smoother trigger action translates to better free-hand accuracy) should be as accurate as any stock $800 to $1200 1911 at 25 yards.

Only a small number of shooters will be able to demonstrate the differences at 25 yards freehand. I need a bench rest to prove it. My Kimber Custom II (which is the best and cheapest of my Kimbers) is the most accurate of my under $1500 1911s. It is just a little over 2.25 at 25 yards off a bench rest.

Now Les Baer and Wilson "standard" would be 1" at 25 yards and LB would sell you a guaranteed 1.5" at 50 yards. I can't manage that even off a small bench at the range.

I'm not very strong and have damage in my hands and shoulders so 4" free hand at 25 yards would be a five round best for me with my Wilsons.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't really think you have a problem, flycaster. Buy the one that feels the best to you and be done with it. They are both quality and proven designs (CZ75 and a quality made 1911 design from a respected company)...

There are just too many companies making the 1911 these days for me to recommend a single brand, and that's a big compliment to its design and reliability. The 1911 market is HUGE, and they all want to get in on the sales. Having just said that, buying a series 70 Colt would work quite well for the 1911 platform as a good middle-of-the-road priced 1911, since it sounds like you are going to go with just one (1) firearm...

I own a CZ75 and it's a nice piece for the fit and price; I'm not familiar with the CZ85, so I'll stay mute in its regard....good luck

·
Registered
366 Posts
I will share my personal experience with you. :)

I have a CZ75 9mm that is a fantastic gun and is the second most accurate of my 9mm's; my Baby Eagle out shoots it and is more reliable. All of my 1911's, with exception of the G.I.'s, are more accurate than my CZ. But I think they should be, the cheapest, a bone stock plain 'ol Kimber Custom II, was $400 more than the CZ. That said, I have always liked my CZ and it is usually the one I reach for when I grab something other than a 1911.

I'm sure you have heard this one hundred million, billion times before, but I'll say it anyway...go handle those you are considering and make the best choice for you personally
and go shoot and have fun. :rock:

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
My CZ85DB is my very first 9mm luger pistol and its awesome. I found it in the used pistol case in excellent +++ condition for just $299. What a buy it was.:rock:

If you still want a 1911 with no frills, bells or whistles, a plain jane i'd go with a new Auto Ordnace army ww2 copy 1911a1 this new pistol has been flawless for me right out of the box too. :rock:

Heck i'd get both....:rock:

After seeing how good my CZ85DB was I went after more CZ's in the CZ83 and CZ82 models. There flawless too and the used ones in awesome condition can be for for around $200.:rock:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think "per-dollar-spent", you will get more accuracy out of the CZ 85 as compared with a 1911 which has the same features and price-range-when-new.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oh, and this IS just me. I know for a fact. But after going for an extended period without shooting (guns are in NH, I'm stationed in NC, so goes life), it takes me less time to get into "the groove" with the CZ. Takes me about 3-4 mags in the Dan Wesson for me to get into the swing of it, whereas the CZ is about 1-2 mags. At 25 yards, though, the 1911 shoots better, for me, largely due to the adjustable target sights. But like I said, this is just me.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It is hard to go wrong either way. But you asked so I'll give you my take. Mechanical accuracy will most likely go to the cz. My cz is is in the same boat as my brownings. Good handling characteristics. Great reliability. Great mag capacity. Don't care for the adjustable sight on the 85 combat, but that is just me. The only problem is trigger. CZ's triggers are just not good enough for me for target purposes.

A decent 1911 with a new match barrel bushing and touched up trigger job in my opinion is really the way to go for ME. The trigger on a 1911 really allows me to harness the accuracy of the pistol. Maybe a fitted bushing won't be needed.

The right 1911 be it a colt, springer, dan wesson, ect, with a good trigger primarily, would be my vote.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I do appreciate all of your opinions. Since I've shot both platforms in the past, I know I can handle either one well. After combining your generous input, combined with my prior shooting experience, I'll just go get whichever one strikes my fancy- and my pocketbook at the time!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
The CZ line is hard to beat when it comes to accuracy ........ I 've had two, and currently have one, a 75D P-01. Sold my 97b stainless to help finance an Ed Brown 1911 ... :)

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Here's my family of CZ's. And its growing too because there so affordable plus they grow on you after shooting just one. It took me many years to get a 9mm luger pistol I had a hard time choosing one. To me the cz line of pistols are awesome with there double action first shot plus there quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
In my hands, because they are on the small size; there is no question as to which of the two win out. 1911 hands down, the trigger for me is the deciding factor and the CZ's trigger is too long. But they are a fine firearm.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow- thanks everyone! My decision is on hold for a while. My bud is loaning me his Wilson-customized S.A. for two months while he's out of the country. Granted, it's not an inexpensive, out of the box gun, but I plan to have some fun for a while. Maybe after he comes back, I'll look again.

Chuck

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
In my hands, because they are on the small size; there is no question as to which of the two win out. 1911 hands down, the trigger for me is the deciding factor and the CZ's trigger is too long. But they are a fine firearm.
i never use the double action trigger pull on my cz's. it's too far of a reach for my small hands. luckily they both have a safety, rather than a decocker, so i can carry cocked and locked. the single action pull fits my tiny mits perfectly.

cz's are fantastic guns, especially for the money. my cz75 was made in 1982, and has had 13,000+ rounds through it, with no jams! :)

just to mention too, in my opinion, there is no autopistol in the world that feels as good in your hand as the cz75, not even my 1911's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts