1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a double action 9mm 1911 that they would recommend? I have looked around but I don't really see much out there. i have a para Tac Four .45 that I really like, but I would love to get a similar gun in 9mm, 4.25 0r 5 inch barrel. I hear that Para actually used to make such a gun but I sure haven't seen one. I really love the Nighthawk signature series in 9-they are beautiful family heirloom type guns but I'd like a DA so that i don't have to remember to mess with a safety under duress.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to say you won't find a true 1911 as a DA (as far as I know). It may look like a 1911, but it isnt one.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Colt makes a DA .45acp that is as close to what "looks"like a 1911 I ever saw. It's not very close though.

No DA pistol can be called a 1911.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Para Ordnance and Colt did some that were/are sold as DA but were really an engineering trick because they were in reality sort of partially cocked with the hammer down. Some how they convinced agencies that and the DA only requirement that these things were DA. Go search "how LDA Para Ordnance works."

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I believe the closest you're going to get to this is the Para P-18 LDA. I must confess, I love the darn thing. Been using it in practical handgun for years. Purists have issues with it, but I've had no complaints whatsoever. It still uses all of the regular 1911 safeties.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I'm just trying to get a grip on how a safety on a firearm that will not be one's primary carry could be forgotten under duress.

I suggest that your H&K is a fine primary carry firearm.

Trying to change a 1911 into a NOT 1911 is an exercise that has resulted in many OTHER fine firearms. They are just not 1911's.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Colt shows a double action only model under the 1991 Government listing of its web site. Call it whatever you like, but it is double action.

Whether any are actually out there in the market, who knows. Anyone actually see one at a LGS or chain?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Colt used to make a DA pistol styled like a 1911 and they called it the Double Eagle. I always found it an ugly thing to look at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts