1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a new Charles Daly 1911 the MS Field grade model,
after going to the range I have a couple of questions that I would like help with:

1. After shooting 200 rounds at the range I tried disassembling the gun only to find out that the recoil spring guide rod extends further than the barrel bushing , so that I am unable to take the gun apart, the spring stop can be depressed with the thumb and will clear the bushing , but the bushing hits the guide rod and cannot be rotated any further,
is this normal?

2. When I fired the gun, I noticed that a good proportion of the ejected brass cases had deformed to seriously scarred case mouths, leaving marks that led me to believe all cases were hitting the back edge of the ejection port.
Furthermore a good proportion of the ejected cases flew right into my safety glasses when firing the gun, some also flew forward of the gun as if the slide was hitting them on the return stroke.
I had a few malfunctions in which the spent catridge failed to eject getting stuck longitudinally in the slide ( no stovepipe like failures)
Is this normal when breaking in a new 1911?

regardless of the failures the gun shot to point of aim and I was happy with the looks feel of it.

My last question is should I give the gun a thorough cleaning and try it again at the range, or send it back to KBI? ( assuming I can take it apart that is....see question #1
)

I thank you in advance for your replies

a 1911 beginner....

[edited to say that I was using Speer Lawman 230 gr FMJ rounds during the session...]

[This message has been edited by type11 (edited 08-14-2000).]

·
Registered
802 Posts
type11,

Don't have a Daly but can offer general advice... First check the procedure in the manual if u have one.

1. Guide rods usually extend flush to the bushing face. Unfamiliar with the Daly, but does it have a hex key socket? If so, it is a two piece and use a hex key to unscrew front half of the rod. If not, remove the slide lock lever and remove the slide/barrel combo in one piece - on some compact pistols, the guide rod can then be removed by sliding the rear up over the barrel lugs and link.

2. Most guns dent cases a little unless they've been tuned right. Severe deformation or denting indicates an extractor/ejector problem that needs tuning or adjustment.
Most stock 1911's have somewhat erratic ejection, but in conjunction with the empties in the ejection port, it sounds like a loose or faulty extractor, or tip that may have a burr. Possibly ejector and/or weak recoil spring. A few have said that heavier recoil springs have helped functioning - search all the Daly posts.

Some of these problems could improve, but after 200 rounds, not likely. A good cleaning and another trip may satisfy your need to send it in, or have a smith tune the ejection problem.

You might post in gunsmithing for more qualified opinions.

JSP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your reply JSP,
I will try to remove the whole slide/barrel, I hope it works,
the guide rod does not have a hex key socket on it so I assume it is a one piece,
I will also try a different recoil spring, and see if it helps, in a previous post in this forum I heard good things on a daly with 18.5 lb Wilson spring
again I thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You mention this is a commander sized gun. If so, I think the spring may want to be a bit stiffer. Stock commander springs are 20#, and for ball, Kuhnhausen's shop manual recommends a 22# spring in the commander. That 18.5# spring is an "upgrade" for the full size 1911.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To remove the barrel from the MS first remove the slide stop. This will allow you to remove the entire slide/barrel. Once that is off have a straightened paperclip ready then push the guiderod forward until you see a small hole on the guide rod outside the bushing. Insert the paperclip into that hole then bend it straight with the guide rod. This will allow you to remove the guide rod/spring assembly. Then you can remove the bushing and the barrel.

As far as the problem with the brass and ejection if you find out please let me know because mine does the same thing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pnuner,

thanks the paper clip trick worked, did your daly have a disassembly procedure manual in the box?
mine only had a KBI document with the trigger lock and nothing else.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes the disassembly instructions came with it.

BTW does anyone know if a series 70 Wilson extractor will fit the MS. I've been thinking about trying one to see if that will help the extraction problem. I've also heard that the 8 round magazines may be part of the problem especially when the round is not caught by the extractor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
funny you mention the case mouth problem. i don't know what it was, because it never made my daly jam, but i was horrified when picking up the brass. some of these puppys were darn near crushed all the way to the primer. i dont know what caused it, but mine was not "brass friendly!"

i ran mine (a full size govt. model) with a 18.5 lb. wilson recoil spring and a shock buff. if i were to do it again, i'd use a wolff's 17.5 or 16.5 variable.
check out denny's or brownell's. you can get a 2 piece ed brown recoil rod for around $20. it makes taking it apart alot easier, and puts a little more weight up front to keep the muzzle down. (it's not significant, but i could tell the diffrence.)
when i re did the trigger group on mine, i had a wilson's reduced main spring put in that took about .5 lb. off the vedicki trigger i had.
if you're looking at a cheap overall improvement, i'd suggest getting a wilson barrel bushing for it. cost: bout $17, and it tightens up the groups quite a bit.
they are sweet shooters, and better quality than i expected. you can do alot to them to make them better though...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
an update on the extraction dented brass problem I had with my Daly MS model,

I got a Wilson 7 round mag and a heavy duty recoil spring 20lb

the result:

no more dented/crushed brass but......

the recoil spring seems to be too heavy and the slide refused to lock back after last round, it locked when pulled back manually but released itself when you would eject the mag....

I was a little too eager to get it working so I applied 2 solutions to one problem and I'm not sure which one actually helped,

the wilson mag has a noticeably heavier spring than the ones provided with the daly

by the way the erratic ejection problem, ie casings flying on my forehead is still there, so the extractor/ejector problem is still there...

I'd appreciate any pointers on what to try next...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts