1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct on part of the problems with stainless slide and frame galling is due to the metals being of the same hardness not allowing one or the other to give?Is this why its better to go with a stainless/carbon steel combo?How about Damascus steel.Is there any differernce between the hardness of stainless versus Damascus steel?Would galling still be an issue if using a stainless frame and a Damascus slide?

------------------
"I'm your huckleberry"

SHOKz

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hydra-shokz, while galling on early stainless steel guns was a problem, attention to alloy formulations and heat treatments and advances in lubricant technology have effectively eliminated it as a concern. Modern stainless guns from reputable manufacturers, properly cleaned and lubricated, will not exhibit any sign of galling.

While I've taken several metallurgy courses, I do not have a degree in metallurgy. I do, however, shoot a stainless 1911 in my club's matches. These competitions, along with practice sessions, tend to cycle a lot of rounds through a gun in a short time. They also get it dirty, so I disassemble and clean it a lot. I've yet to see any evidence of galling on the contact surfaces, and function has remained reliable.

Hope this helps dispel some of your concerns.

------------------
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

[This message has been edited by Slapshot (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah .

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
We had very bad galling problems in the old days when we were making frames and slides out of 17-4ph stainless for Randall and Detonics. Althought the corrosion restianse was good on this matrial ans it was very toght, it galled like crazy. To compound matters,a gun would be testfired a few rounds and not gall. However if you ran a full magazine through it it wouls seize up. As the slide heated up it tended to claw on the frame. Left alone until it could cool off the gun would free up. The 400 series stainless used today is not as corrosion resistant, but is less likely to gall. It is true that disimiliar heattreats between th frame and slide help. Also we use 416 0n the slides and 410 on the frames to also help prevent galling. It is not the problem it was 10 years ago as I am sure many owners of tight stainless pistols would testify.
The formulation of the two stainless steels used in the damascus slides have similiar net properties to 416 SS and we have not experienced galling problems with them.
Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rich Wyatt, owner of Gunsmoke Guns, is preparing a batch of damascus steel slides... He's excited about how they look. Check out his web site www.gunsmokeguns.com for contact info. He has a good reputation as a gunsmith in the Colorado area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts