1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting the first box of ammo through my new commander and had a FTF on my 3rd magazine; it was the last round in the mag so I removed the mag and pulled the slide back and drop the round.

The slide still would not go into battery so I pulled it to the rear and eased it forward, just as it made contact with whatever was stopping it from going into battery the firing pin, firing pin spring and firing pin stop flew out of the rear of the slide.

I have not disassembled the pistol yet to inspect the firing pin plunger and was just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem before.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Sounds like the FP stop was loose enough that when you fired it (and the FP was forward), the FP stop was free to drop down just enough to prevent the slide from going all the way forward, and then when you racked the slide back again, the FP was no longer through its hole in the FP stop, and the stop dropped the rest of the way out, allowing the FP to launch out of the back of the gun. You said this is a new Commander? Is it a Colt?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is a Colt.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Sounds like a fitted FPS is going to be needed.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I believe I'd call Colt, tell them what happened, and send it back. The FP stop should not have been that loose. None of 'em are tight when they come from the factory, but they're not supposed to do THAT! What also worries me is that it may not have happened as I described. If it's a series 80 gun, then the FP might have not been ALLOWED to come back if the S80 safety parts weren't right. I'd send it back to Colt for sure.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I believe I'd call Colt, tell them what happened, and send it back. The FP stop should not have been that loose. None of 'em are tight when they come from the factory, but they're not supposed to do THAT! What also worries me is that it may not have happened as I described. If it's a series 80 gun, then the FP might have not been ALLOWED to come back if the S80 safety parts weren't right. I'd send it back to Colt for sure.
Friend of mine bought a Stainless Gov't model (NRM 1991A1) and the firing pin safety had jammed in the up position and the firing pin was dragging horribly. He was going to send it back to Colt but I fixed it for him, it had a horrible case of burrs from the unfinished F/P safety cut out. He could have dropped the F/P stop too if his gun had been reliable enough to make it thru 3 mags :rolleyes:

·
Registered
856 Posts
and why I won't buy anything with a firing pin stop send it back that utterly sucks and should never happen to anyone no matter how evil a soul they have.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I used to feel that way, yocan, but not any more. Series 80s are just fine with me, now that I know that they do actually provide a little extra margin of safety, and especially since (due to pistolwrench's "definitive" thread) I know what to measure to ensure that they function correctly. Still, this should not happen to anyone - for any reason - with a brand new factory pistol. It simply should not happen.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Loose firing pin stop

If there are burrs inside the firing pin tunnel, it is possible the firing pin got hung up once the firing pin pierced the primer. I would check the cases and look for any unusual or deep firing pin marks. Firing pin drag marks on the primer are another issue, usually caused by a slide unlocking too quickly with high pressure rounds. If the firing pin did get hung up, this could cause a jam.

You could take the slide off, and use a small punch to push the firing pin in and out, to try to see if there is anything that may restrict or catch the firing pin and/or spring. (It is alot easier on a series 70 gun without a firing pin block!) If the firing pin hangs up at all, you have most likely found the problem. If this is the cause, I would remove all burrs with a round needle file and try reshooting the gun. Even a loose firing pin stop should not fall out of the gun. However, a properly fitted firing pin stop is essential to hold the extractor firmly in the proper position. A loose firing pin stop plate may allow the extractor to turn or "clock" which may also cause failures to extract. If the firing pin stop is excessively loose, and you can turn the extractor in the extractor tunnel, then a properly fitted firing pin stop is recommended either by purchsing a new one or adding metal.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Agree, Rich, but it's a brand new gun. If you didn't know all that you know and had that happen to you with a brand new Colt, wouldn't you send it back to Colt?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was shooting hand loads that I had seat the bullet (225 grain cast FP) to a OAL of 1.16 to get them to chamber.

I did notice while firing that the slide was about 1/8 of an inch out of battery a few times and a small push with my thumb on the back of the slide would force it into battery. I attributed this to the hand loads.

I disassembled the gun today and the slide would not come off; the firing pin plunger was extended so far that it was preventing the slide from moving forward. I reseated it and put the FP and FPS back in the pistol. It seems to function during dry firing.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
and why I won't buy anything with a firing pin stop send it back that utterly sucks and should never happen to anyone no matter how evil a soul they have.
So which 1911 do you own that doesn't have a firing pin stop...

if you mean a firing pin SAFETY we are not talking about that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Based on what you said I pulled the firing pin spring off and let the firing pin fall through the bolt face hole to see if there was binding and found none.

However, when I looked at the primers on the reloads almost all of them had burrs around the strike locations, some so big I could flake off metal with my thumb. I had some issues finding a suitable seating depth for the FP bullets but was able to get them to cycle at an OAL of 1.16. Could the burring of the primers cause the firing pin to stick long enough to cause the problem.

The burring did not occur with factory ammo.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
With the other problems you mention, it has to be the firing pin stop is too small and allowing the extractor to clock, which is causing the FTBs. If you don't want to send it back to Colt, then you could peen the edge of the FPS to widen it and then file it to fit the slot in the extractor, that should correct the clocking.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Friday Gun

It must have been Friday on the assembly line. Mine works great! Meaning it was most likely a Wednesday on the assembly line as everyone was happy and looking forward to Friday. I did throw away the mags and I replaced them with Chip Mccomicks. GBA&2nd Merry Christmas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts