1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have decided that I "need" a CBOB. I found a factory blemish for sale (about a $100 less than non blemish). Does anyone here have any experience with their "blemish" guns? How minor can I expect it to be? Is it marked somewhere as a blemish gun? Also, would you buy one? I've been going back and forth on it. Thanks for any input you may have.

Brian

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello,

I have decided that I "need" a CBOB. I found a factory blemish for sale (about a $100 less than non blemish). Does anyone here have any experience with their "blemish" guns? How minor can I expect it to be? Is it marked somewhere as a blemish gun? Also, would you buy one? I've been going back and forth on it. Thanks for any input you may have.

Brian
DW should galdly take it back and remove the blemish free of charge if its a defect in the weapon. i am assuming you paid a dealer at a gun shop, you can then send it in claiming it needs repair. FYI: don't say anything about buying it knowing it had a blemish or saving money becuase of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe they're sold from the factory to the retailer as "blemishes" so I don't know if that would work.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
From what I have seen, you can hardly tell there is a blem. Save the $ and buy ammo. JMHO. :)

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
A true "blem" model should have an upside down Y on the serial number.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The '09 blems Ive seen do not have the upside down Y. Im not sure when they stopped, but I've never seen one with the upside down Y.

Buy it, you wont notice the difference after 1,000 rounds.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
If it is only a "C" note why have the worry in your life, get the non blem, and be happy. You will only say later "I wish I had got the non blem" I know I would. That's just the way I think.......I have enough worries without the worry of guns. They are suppose to be fun!

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
If it wasn't a blem beforehand, it will be after a I get ahold of it.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Are ya gonna trade one of them Kimbers for the DW ?:biglaugh:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually only have one Kimber (which I'm keeping). But I am selling my USP .40... The Kimber was my first 1911...cant stop now...

·
Registered
371 Posts
i just ordered a "scratch & dent" or "blemished" razorback. it was $200-$300 cheaper depending on where you look.

im pretty hard on my guns so it doesnt matter to me.

from what ive read on it the "blemishes" are usually near microscopic inclusions(specks) in the metal, or "swirls" from polishing.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Get the blem and save some money. If it's like mine, you will never notice it, and no one else will either.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Seems like lots of Kimber owners are turnin' to DW. Hummmm! Enlightenment perhaps??
Mmm, I have three Kimber's, two DW's, one Baer, two Springfield's, one Colt, two Fusion's (with third in process). Maybe people like more than just Chocolate or Vanilla, preferring multiple flavors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was up in the air between adding a Colt or DW. Since I already own a 1903, I guess I can hold off on another Colt. Thanks for the feedback. I'm still debating on the blemish model. I'm planning to buy online as local shops here inflate OVER MSRP :eek:. My only reservation is that I would be the one to get the not so minor blemish e.g. Classic misspelled on the slide:biglaugh:

Anyone who else have direct knowledge of what to expect from these blemish guns feel free to chime in. Or if anyone finds me a bargain online let me know. I plan on making a decision no later than Mon. Thanks again for all the input.

Oh, and I DO plan to carry / shoot this gun a lot. Only 50+ year old guns get to retire to my safe...

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I bought a Blem CBOB. It has several VERY tiny pits in the slide. It took me quite a while to even find them. They are so minor that they mean nothing to me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Without the inverted Y after the serial number, how can we tell it's a blem gun (given that the blems are hard to notice) when the seller does not disclose this fact, and the gun is priced as a flawless one?

·
Registered
437 Posts
My new blem was under $900 and the pits are less than half the size of the head of a pin on the frame. I consider it a steal at that price....now if I can just get it to function, but that's for another thread.

Also, the inverted Y is stamped on the frame under the grip on mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts