1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting a 1911 with an officer's size frame and a more of a commander length barrel. I am looking at the Kimber Pro Carry II and the Dan Wesson CCO Bobtail. I wanted as much of an unbiased opinion so I didn't put this in the actual manufacturer's forums. I feel like I will be happy with either gun, and the price difference between the DW and the Kimber may be a factor. However, right now I would rather hear some actual feedback from owners of each gun. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
CCO Thread

Cats, I started a CCO thread down a bit that has some nice pictures of the DW CCO, though not the CCO BT.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'd go with the Dan Wesson, hands down. Better workmanship, tighter fit, and if you call them for help they'll actually be HELPful. With my Kimber Pro I was told I was SOL because I wasn't the original owner, just like that. And yes, I've dealt with customer care with both manufacturers. And the Pro is a Gov't frame with a 4" bbl, not an Officers frame

·
Registered
220 Posts
CBOB is a better weapon, however my Kimber has yet to fail me and my experience with CS has been 100% outstanding.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a stainless Pro Carry II. But if I had the choice and price wasn't a factor, I'd have the DW CBob. I got my Kimber new in the box for $759 OTD. It is my every day carry and I like the alloy frame ( it is a standard frame - not an officers frame). I have had no problems and it shoots everything I put through it.
However the DW is a nicer gun with more options and is a better buy for a couple hundred more - IMO. Don't take me wrong, I love my Kimber- I simply didn't have the budget when I purchased.

Either one should treat you well, but I think the DW is just a bit better and a better bargain.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm leaning towards the Dan Wesson as well. I meant to bring up the Kimber Pro Compact not Carry, but they are close enough that I can get a good feel for what people think about them.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have a DW CBOB and it's the best 1911 I've ever owned..(my 5th) but I've been looking at the Pro Carry II to get bobbed for a lighter one to carry..
A colt XSE LW .45 would work but the front serrations tear up holsters..

I've read here about a few problems with the Kimbers and the company but at the price of a Pro Carry II theres room to have a good smith go over it, and that will happen when it's bobbed..

I'd pay $1500 in a NY minute for a DW alloy CBOB .45 but they don't make it and have no plans to as far as I know...

I grabbed this pic off your thread here...(not mine) This is a real good carry .45 and HEY!!! Kimber...you might want to make these...Theres a gap to fill..

I think this is a PC II... are these 4" or 4.25" like a commander?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Kimbe Pro is a 4" not a normal commander

·
Registered
627 Posts
Are you comparing the DW CCO or the DW CBOB? The CCO is said to be bobtailed, but the bobbing is really just a rounded corner (don't get me wrong this rounded corner makes it feel MUCH better in the hand the a traditional officers frame, because you don't get that poke in the palm of your hand as much).

Personally I think either DW is better than the Kimber. I'm not saying Kimber is a pos or anything like that, but I do believe DW is a nice step above Kimber and aren't that much of a difference in prices, at least for the 2009 lineup.

If you are going to purchase a DW and are worried about prices, then I would buy one before the new 2010 lineup rolls out. There will be a significant price increase in 2010, but will also be a significant parts quality increase also.

If you have the time to wait they will supposedly be offering a commander bobtail on an officers frame in .45 in 2011 through the Guardian lineup. In 2010 they will release the Guardian as a 9mm. Both look very sexy.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Either one will do you right. I have a Kimber Pro-Carry and its a great gun, never had an issue with it. The Bobtail will conceal carry easier with the cut grip, but that doesn't mean you can't CC the Pro-Carry. The quality of both manufacturers is great, so no worries there. If I was you I would pick the one that best suited me, ie, price, & features.

Good luck to you and make sure you post pics and a range report. :rock:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you comparing the DW CCO or the DW CBOB? The CCO is said to be bobtailed, but the bobbing is really just a rounded corner (don't get me wrong this rounded corner makes it feel MUCH better in the hand the a traditional officers frame, because you don't get that poke in the palm of your hand as much).
I am talking about the CCO specifically, but I like the CBOB as well. For the price the CBOB beats the Kimber Pro in my book but unlike my original post that spoke of the Pro Carry, I meant the Pro Compact. I have a full size that I can conceal right now in the winter, but I feel like I will need either an officers frame or a bobtail for other times of the year.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am talking about the CCO specifically, but I like the CBOB as well. For the price the CBOB beats the Kimber Pro in my book but unlike my original post that spoke of the Pro Carry, I meant the Pro Compact. I have a full size that I can conceal right now in the winter, but I feel like I will need either an officers frame or a bobtail for other times of the year.
If it is the CCO and you can find/afford a DW CCO. Then by all means get that. I don't think you will look back after you purchase it at all. At least for me, it is almost perfect. The only thing that I think might help it is a true bobbing like they will be doing for the Guardian lineup. But I am not sure of that. All I know is the CCO is one excellent gun and compared side by side the DW CCO will far outshine the Kimber.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I'd pay $1500 in a NY minute for a DW alloy CBOB .45 but they don't make it and have no plans to as far as I know...
Ther will be a .45 version of the bobbed guardian in 2011. If you're not familiar.. thats a commander length, bobtailed, aluminum framed .45... and its black... I'm on that list in 2011, for sure!!:rock:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it is the CCO and you can find/afford a DW CCO. Then by all means get that.
I was frugal this semester at school and have some money left over that I am adding to the gun fund which will be about enough for the CCO I think. What is a good price range to look for one in. I actually have never seen one in a store just the CBOB, but i may see if I can get put on a wait list or try a few upcoming gun shows in my area.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was frugal this semester at school and have some money left over that I am adding to the gun fund which will be about enough for the CCO I think. What is a good price range to look for one in. I actually have never seen one in a store just the CBOB, but i may see if I can get put on a wait list or try a few upcoming gun shows in my area.
Check out the Dan Wesson locator thread in the Wesson forum. I put one on layaway from Whittaker' Guns in KY for $1186. I have seen them from that price to the $1300 mark. At this point, you'd better buy one of the first ones you can find. With the impending price increase for next year, every Wesson out there flies off the shelf just about as soon as the dealer gets them in.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ther will be a .45 version of the bobbed guardian in 2011. If you're not familiar.. thats a commander length, bobtailed, aluminum framed .45... and its black... I'm on that list in 2011, for sure!!:rock:
How do you know this? Are you sure?

·
Registered
627 Posts
The one thing I would say is that you should put one on down payment now. Check the DW locater at the top of the DW forum (it's stickied) and see if you can put one on downpayment.

They are upgrading all their guns for 2010 and the CCO will see around a $200 - $300 increase. While I am all for upgrades, I think the CCO is an excellent gun now and I know that given the option and how my budget plays out I would choose the 2009 version. Mainly due to my budget.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check out the Dan Wesson locator thread in the Wesson forum. I put one on layaway from Whittaker' Guns in KY for $1186. I have seen them from that price to the $1300 mark. At this point, you'd better buy one of the first ones you can find. With the impending price increase for next year, every Wesson out there flies off the shelf just about as soon as the dealer gets them in.
Where is Whittaker Guns in KY. I live in KY so that caught my eye.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts