1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to install an EGW flat bottomed firing pin stop in my 10mm Dan Wesson Pointman 7 and noticed something off about the old firing pin stop:

this is my first 1911, so I'm not sure if this is supposed to be like this or not. the bottom of the firing pin stop does not extend flush with the bottom of the slide. as a result, you can see where the hammer (?) has been scraping across the bottom of the slide! when I removed the FPS, I also noticed that it was not cut straight:

is this firing pin stop out of spec, or is this normal for this particular gun? also, is the hammer supposed to rub against the bottom of the slide like it is, or should I be concerned about it? if it's out of spec, I'm sure Dan Wesson will replace it for me...I hear their customer service is excellent. anyway, what do you think about this firing pin stop?

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Typical DW QC. You need a new stop.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If your installing an EGW FPS then why do you want DW to replace the old one? It looks like the person who fit it was using a dremel tool or some such non sense.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Not being familiar with the procedure they use, but being familiar with small parts production I can conceive of one part in a batch of 50 being held up by grit or just friction. The person running the mill or grinder wasn't paying close enough attention when loading parts perhaps. The bad part, unforgivable in some folk's minds, is that it got past QC, but they too are human beings. Being a human being myself I'd welcome a call from my customers if a part got out the door in less than acceptable condition so I could rectify it. What would chap me would be folks talking down my name because two people who were suppose to catch it didn't, and the end user didn't call me first.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The bottom part of the oversized EGW FPS needs to be beveled (rounded). There are some threads about this over at another 1911 forum. Also, since the EGW FPS is oversized, it needs fitting to the FP slot. The slot on your DW looks cockeyed, but no big deal.

If your gun functions fine in its original parts, leave it alone. If not, have that EWG FPS properly fitted if you cannot do it yourself or if you do not have the tools.

This would be a simple job for a decent gunsmith.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I personally wouldn't leave that alone...replace with your EGW FPS. As others have said, you'll have to fit it yourself but that shouldn't be too much of a big deal. Your disconnect rail is getting damaged at the edge so throw the old FPS away and don't use it. Just because the pistol has been functioning doesn't mean it will keep on functioning. The damage is very minimal at best and nothing to loose sleep over. The other forum (1911.org) has some photos of how the EGW oversized FPS should be beveled and fitted.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
You may want to check out this thread http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=187471 and then make arrangements to send that pistol back to DW for a new FPS, slide and hammer, if necessary.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me like it might be a fairly new pistol by your pics. Maybe yours was built by some of the people DW recently let go for doing shoddy work.

I never believe anyone that says any damage is minimal and nothing to worry about. Most people are quick to say that when the damage isn't on THEIR property. :)

If that were mine, I'd call DW and send it back to get fixed. When it gets back to you, fit the EGW FPS or have it fitted and keep the replacement FPS as a spare.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Hello,

how tall is the stock fp stop?
we make ours .657 tall. should be the same as the print.
Interesting that a factory is installing a somewhat square stop. someone is paying attention.

the peen at the end of the disconector track may cause a problem.
if you put in a stop that is std height and it turns out to be flush with the disconector track there will be a chance the hammer will catch the stop as the slide moves forward. Please check this as if left alone it may peen the slide, firing pin stop, break the back of the slide off or some other good thing.

geo

www.egw-guns.com

·
Registered
395 Posts
George,
This was true with my Dan Wesson RZ-10. I ordered one of your flat bottomed stops but found it was not really needed. I installed it on my Kimber TLE instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts