1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about at my wits end, on a 10 yard range, im usually hitting down and the to the left 4-6 inches off the bullseye... or recently on concentrating on finger pull im now low about 9-12 inches... and this is on 10 yds.... Really need to be pointed to a good video or blog on how to shoot.... I really wish I was kidding and this was a fake post, but its not. Extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
You need a good instructor that can watch what you are doing as you shoot. Find a local NRA Bullseye club. Watch. Learn. Sounds like you are convulsing your whole gun hand, looking OVER the front sight to look at where the rounds are going - not watching your front sight, ignoring the "wavering", just maintaining sight alignment while pressing the trigger straight back until the pistol surprises you and discharges; then following through while watching the Front Sight ALL the way through recoil and settling back into the notch of the rear sight, and reacquiring the proper sight picture. Do not look at the target to see where the bullet went right after the shot until you have followed through - reacquired the sight picture and have recalled what the sight picture looked like when the pistol went off!

Get Gil Hebard's book. Read it, then get a copy of The Modern Technique of the Pistol. Read it. Then look for a Randy Cain Handgun 101 class.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I do not know if this is your problem, but I was recently shooting at a indoor range next to a guy shooting a 9MM with a laser. He was shooting at 7 yards and he would have the laser around the bullseye, then as the round fires the laser would drop straight down about 8-10 inches then back up. He was hitting 8-10 inches low, common sense tells you he should have been on target then with recoil the gun should rise. He had developed a severe flinch and was jerking the gun down when he pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Go to the range with a friend
Without you looking or listening......have him either hand you a loaded ....or empty chamber gun
Then take the shot ..... if you are flinching, anticipating, jerking, the shot you will find out fast

·
Banned
608 Posts
I've found this useful in diagnosing issues.

As said, a good instructor is very useful. Even as a skilled shooter its good to work with someone every so often to catch any little bad habits that you've picked up and haven't noticed and to watch your form like you can't

1 - 12 of 12 Posts