1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking to get my first 1911 and I went down to my LGS I had decided on the DW Heritage but then today they had a slightly used SA TRP for a little over $900 which is about $100 less than the DW. As this is my first 1911 I'm not sure which way to go I mostly plan on using the gun for target and USPSA and perhaps if I get comfortable enough with it HD or a car gun on trips.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Gee.. i don't think you can make a bad choice here.. However, if it were me, I would buy the Springfield.. I know the DW is very well made and a very good value... I just cant get over the fact that the company is owned by a foreign business.. CZ is an overseas company taking the profits that DW generates.. Whereas SA is 100 percent American.. Like I say... FOR ME.. I would take the SA

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
DW. Heritage all the way. By the way. I drive a Toyota 4Runner too. :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
DW. Heritage all the way. By the way. I drive a Toyota 4Runner too. :)

I knew i was gonna see you here charger.. :biglaugh::biglaugh: Keep it up, you just might make me buy a CBOB.. :bawling:

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
You da man V. Get any DW and you will be happy. I got 1, and a few good old Colts. Life's good. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
IMO just buy the Dan Wesson Heritage you will Like it even more.......

Clyde

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You da man V. Get any DW and you will be happy. I got 1, and a few good old Colts. Life's good. :biglaugh:
Yeah Yeah Yeah.. i know... Mmmmm I do have someone that wants to give me $400 more then I paid for my Kobra Carry... Let me think about this.. I can get a Cbob and have change in my pocket.. :rock:

Or I can send it to Wilson right out of the box and have it really setup... Now ya got me thinking...

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
SEED PLANTED. GROW BABY GROW. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Both are good guns but I would have to go with the DW without question, I think the extra $100 would be well spent for the better fit and finish of the DW and better internal parts. DW is owned by CZ and SA has most of their frames made in Brazil and has for years so I would say that is kinda a wash. Just pick the one you like the best and go shooting:).
Greg

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
CZ is an overseas company taking the profits that DW generates.. Whereas SA is 100 percent American.
True, but Imbel is a Brazilian company making profits from the sales that Springfield generates. Now i'm not sure if the TRP's frame is made in Brazil, but either way the company has a lot of business interests there. I understand your point of one company being American owned, but neither is like Colt which, to the best of my knowledge, is 100% American made and owned. Well, that's globalization for you.

Back to the point, is the DW new? If so i'd get that. I'm funny about used guns. For your purposes though it seems like the TRP might serve your needs a bit better. Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
True, but Imbel is a Brazilian company making profits from the sales that Springfield generates. Now i'm not sure if the TRP's frame is made in Brazil, but either way the company has a lot of business interests there. I understand your point of one company being American owned, but neither is like Colt which, to the best of my knowledge, is 100% American made and owned. Well, that's globalization for you.

Back to the point, is the DW new? If so i'd get that. I'm funny about used guns. For your purposes though it seems like the TRP might serve your needs a bit better. Can't go wrong either way.
Good point 7.. I didn't consider that about the frames...

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I don't know enough about CZ to know, but i know that Springfield stands behind their products 100%, absolutely great work. Plus, they have one of the best custom shops in the country.
So does Dan Wesson, their customer service is top notch and they have built some gorgeous custom guns.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
If that TRP was in excellent condition that is the gun I would go with. More features that might prove useful with what you intend to use the gun for. My opinion is that the TRP is a better gun overall in my mind. In fact, the more I shoot mine, the more I like it over my Ed Brown.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I also posted the same question on G&A forum and it seems everyone there says TRP. I like the fact that the DW is new but it's very hard to pass up a $1700 for just over $900.

The more I do some research the SA TRP seems to be more of a duty/ Tactical pistol where the DW seems to be more of a semi custom target/ comp. gun.

Does one brand have a better history of reliability? I own several CZ and have had Zero problems.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
DW Heritage has a cast frame, not forged. DW Valor has a forged frame, but costs alot more.
I think for me that would be the deciding factor. All of springfield's frames are forged, and I'd personally rather have the forged frame over the cast.

·
Registered
366 Posts
+1 on what everyone has mentioned about the frames above. However, me personally, I would take the Springfield. My thought on it is if it were new it would be about $1450. A new Heritage is still about $1000... and for me, where I live, a Heritage is much easier to come by than the TRP. Just take the TRP apart and throughly check it for wear and damage before buying it.

Tough, tough decision. Good luck either way.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts