1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a DW commander bobtail,Im getting ready to put a one piece guide rod in,can i use shok buffs.:scratch:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I pick up my DW bobtail in a few days and I'd like to know this as well. I have shok-buffs in 5 of 6 fullsize models and they have never caused any issues, but I have never owned a commander sized 1911 before.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Yes you can.

Though the argument as to whether any gun needs them has been going on as long as there have been shock buffs. I use them in every one of my guns w/o any probs including my SA V-10. Tracy

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
The beauty of a 1911. You can do whatever you want.

Personally it's the GI plug and no buff for me.

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
ghipower, FWIW my limited experience w/ buffs...

I tried buffs in: SW1911 [5"], GI build [5"] & Colt Combat Cmdr [all w/ FLGRs].

Used two types: brand [x] black & Wilson blue.

The black ones were softer and seemed to deform quickly and come apart, and I found pieces of them falling off in the GR channel.

The Wilson's held up much better, but still seemed get hammered a bit.

One suggestion a 1911 smith gave me:

"Make yourself a washer the same shape as the rear of the recoil spring guide with a hole in it and install in front of the buff so the buffer is sandwiched between the front of the guide and the washer. You should only need this to be about 40-50 thousands thick.

It seems that the worst thing is not using a heavy enough recoil spring. They want you to change the buffs after 1000 rounds and I think they don't even last that long."

The other problem I've had w/ buffs: in slide lock they seem to add a bit of vertical pressure on the barrel which results in you not being able to thumb the slide lock lever down. Only way to release the slide lock was to yank back the slide manually.

Some would say this is preferred/tactical way to do it anyway, and that's how I was taught in the Chuck Taylor 3 Day Hangun Course. But I've since gone to thumbing the slide release to speed up reloads in IDPA. It's just plain faster.

My two cents...hope it helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problem solved

Shok buff's only work in full size 1911's,tried in my commander bobtail,slide would not go back far enough to engauge slide stop,talked to Gunsmith at Wilson Combat,said shok buffs will not work in commander's and compact's

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
I would not and do not use either one of your choices.

They are both a solution to a non existing problem.

Bob

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am thinking this: If John Moses Browning thought shock buffs were needed, He would have made it part of the design. Granted, there may be some use for them, but necessary? I don't think so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts