1911Forum banner

Dan wesson Patriot

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  MishMash 
#1 · (Edited)
I just read Stephen Camps' Review on the Patriot and I visited the Dan Wesson Site. I think this gun is the one I'm most interested in at this point. I'm excited because I found the Range where I'm a member is a Dealer!

I was considering Colt and Kimber I haven't discounted them yet but I'd like to explore this possibility a little more. For hard core 1911 shooters how do you think this .45 would stack up in contrast to Colt or Kimber?

Is it worthy of competition shooting? The Camp report suggests so but as I said I'm NEW to the .45 realm.

Has anyone recently purchsed this Model? If so what are your Pros and Cons? I'd appreciate any input. My apology for asking such basic questions . Thank You!

#2 · (Edited)
Razor Ribbon......

No need to apologize. Basic questions are how we all learn.

The Patriot is a gorgeous pistol with all the bells and whistles that anyone could want. The fact that it is a Series 70 style pistol with no firing pin safety is a plus for many. The fact that the slides and frames are cut after they are hardened makes for a uniform fitting, strong product. The match quality barrels are excellent. If you're using the Patriot for a range piece, you've made an excellent choice.

(The Series 2 Kimbers don't even show up on my radar screen as I have concerns about their Swartz firing pin system. I just don't like the Series 2 pistols compared to their pre-Series 2 pistols.)

In my opinion, if you are purchasing a 1911 for self defense and possibly competition......I would go with a Colt. In my opinion, the current Colt QC is simply better than DW's. To use a weapon for self-defense, you must trust the weapon. Colt has always offered me the level of confidence I need and that's why I carry a Colt, not a Kimber, not a Dan Wesson nor any other, under $1,000 pistol.

Regards,
Sam

#3 ·
Razor

I have the blue'd model of the expert. I've been using it for USPSA L10, well for this shooting season.. It's gone bang every time and i've only had a very few problem really with it, mostly of my own making i.e. not seating mags properly, etc.. I do have a problem of the slide not locking back with the mags i use, but it's not a big worry for what i use it for.

The pistol itself is very nice, i liked the trigger from day one, they are VERY accurate in my opinion.. Although I would say the Blueing does not hold up real well with Competition use.. I would suggest stainless.

Let's see, i've added a magwell, DW sent me a lower front sight, gratis, i've had a Ambi safety installed(which i wish DW would do on more of it's pistols) changed the Barrel bushing and mag release, recoil spring and guide rod.. Except for the bushing the other stuff was done just becuse...

The external extractor came apart on me while trying out an 18lb recoil spring.. don't know why.. but DW sent me the parts and i was back up in less then a week.

Check out the threads on this board and you will see lot's of good things about the Experts..

I can't comment on other pistols, except the kimbers which while seemingly ok, i'm not overly fond of the price..

good luck.

Jeff.

#4 ·
Razor:
Why not seek to try out as many models as possible at your range? Do they have loaners or rental guns? Find what you like and can shoot well. All of the different bigger name mfg's out there make some fine guns. All also make a lemon from time to time, making customer service an important part of the equation in a successful purchase.

To answer your question, I think the Patriot would stack up very favorably against the other brands. Personally, it would be my choice. Why? In my personal opinion, it offers the most performance for dollar spent. It is a very, very accurate gun (probably more so than the Colt), and you are not wasting money on unnecessary firing pin safeties which could (especially in the case of the Kimber) potentially have a negative effect on the performance/reliability of the weapon. Further, I think the DW customer service is awfully hard to beat. The president of the company himself frequents this forum, and offers advice and commentary. I don't know of another mfg. where this is the case.

Again, these are only my opinions, and I suggest that you make every attempt to see for yourself. Take care.

#6 ·
The Patriot series has been a great gun for us and has performed exceptionally for the $$$. We are now going to feature the external extractor in our new products because of its reliability and flawless function.

Thanks,
Bob
DWF
:)

#7 ·
Thank You for your replies. They gave me food for thought. My Range does have Loaners but not in every Model. The great deal about being a Member and Instructor these Gentlemen will locate the firearms I'm interested in in order for me to test fire. I know of no other Range willing to to do.

They are Dealers Kimber - Colt - Dan Wesson - S&W concerning the 1911.

My husband favors Kimber as do quite a few Range Officers. I read the Pros and cons of the newer Kimber especially the safety.
My husband is a Certified L.E.O. Instructor but we do differ in tastes.

Prior to purchasing a gun I do extensive research. I usually test fire as many different Models as I can and gather opinions from owners - shooters and Dealers. I followed this pattern for all of my purchases. I was never swayed by popularity - asthetics or price.

This Saturday I'm going up to the Range and peruse what they have available to test fire.

If anyone has any opions concerning specific 1911s' Please feel free to suggest! I'm open to any and all suggestions.

#9 ·
I recently went through a difficult six month's process to make my decision, and chose the Patriot as the best value, best fit and finish across several particular models (consistent), and best 'feel' in my hand.

I feel like _I_ won!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.