1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the 1911 world in general (not to mention this forum). A couple of months ago I was at an indoor range with my wife and we had the greatest time shooting a Kimber Custom Stainless (fixed sights). It was way better than the Glock 23 and 19 that I own. (she loved it too!) So now I am looking to purchase my first 1911. Although I have shot the Kimber I have been looking hard at buying a Dan Wesson Pointman Major because I read about all the little things that make a 1911 better and this gun has a lot of them. What do you think? I am a fool to think that I will get such a great perceived value in a gun in this price range? I appreciate all help and feedback.

By the way I registered here because I like the friendly responses all of you offer to each individual, no matter what their topic is. Nice group you have here!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey there. I am kind of the Dan Wesson Pimp. My girl friend and I each have a Pointman Major and we love them. I feel that there are lots of good manufacturers out there and to say one is better than another is a matter of personal preference, but I do feel that the Pointman Major is comprable to the big boys and often less cash.

The Majors are loaded with name brand aftermarket parts and have recieved great reviews in magazines. The best way for me to sell you on them is to tell you to call or e-mail them. They are always happy to speak to people. You will either talk to the director of marketing or the owner Bob Serva himself. I have had people take my advise on this and three of them were impressed enough they bought one right over the phone.

Here are the pics of our guns:
www.geocities.com/dwfa2000

So e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

www.danwessonfirearms.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So being a Dan Wesson owner, do you have any rules of thumb that might be useful in using the Dan Wesson? I looked at your two autos and I noticed that they do not look like the ones they show on the website. What is the model with the stainless frame and black slide? Should I make any plans for an immediate change in parts on them to improve performance? Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I see no reason to replace anything out of the box. Almost everything on the Major is made by big name after market companies like Wolff and McCormick.

The two tone gun is actually a 9mm. It is my girlfriend's gun and she didn't want a .45. On the website they only show two tones in the shorter commander style but any gun they make can be upgraded to a SS frame. So that would make her gun a Major-9, designating the 9mm. The thing I like about it is that all the controls (slide release, safety, mag release) are blued, where the guns on the webpage have stainless controls. I happen to like the contrast it adds.

Like you I have a Glock, then tried a friend's Kimber and realized I wanted a 1911. We actually are close to the DW factory here in Upstate NY so we thought it would be cool to buy from them. I like my buddies Kimber (classic royal) and we have taken them to the range side by side and I have to say I perfer the DW. For about the same price it has more "loaded" features. Don't get me wrong the Kimber is great too, but I think the standard laser engraving on the DW makes for a more handsome gun. Also the DW customer service folks are so personable that I wanted to buy from them.

Finally, it is cool to have something that not everyone has. I get alot of people coming up to me wanting to check it out.

Edited to say that as far as performance the DW is more accurate then me or my buddy (the Kimber owner) so I see no need to mess with it. Also I again urge you to take the time to call them, they can tell you much more about the guns and will be happy to do so.
607-336-1174

[This message has been edited by CounterStrike (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the help. I am happy to read that you too have tried a Kimber and still find the Dan Wesson to be acceptable. I will take your advice and give them a call. By the way.. how is the pricing if you purchase them right at the factory?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
One of the magazines recently had a very complimentary review of the DW Pointman.

Especially the accuracy, which is what it's all about (well, assuming reliablility!) They included a chart detailing their groups, some were less than 2" at 25 yards. About as good as a Wilson or Brown.

I would get one of them, if they were available in CA. For the money, they seem like a good deal.

They are made in America, have "70-series" action, and have the Kart brand barrel, and brand-name componentry. Only the frame is a little suspect, and reports are that their supplier (Essex) was required to upgrade that in order to get the contract.

Let us know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Ranger for the added feedback. Do you know what magazine that was and possibly what month it would have been? This would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This months issue of Combathandguns features the Pointman Guardian Duce. Essentially a major in the commander size. A few months ago the same mag did a feature on a regular major. I think if you search the web, you can find the page for Combathandguns. On a side note a member of AR15.com with the nickname Waverunner ended up buying the exact gun tested in the mag. If you head over to Ar15.com you might be able to ask him about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will take my time to respond because I have had a good experience W/ D. Wesson. I considered the Kimber Eclipse and Springfield Match. The Springfield was my second choice to the Dan Wesson. My reading indicated that the Springfield had good service and warranty. While I am sure the Kimber was a wonderful gun its warranty is lacking as, I read, is its customer service.

Value wise the Pointman PM1-S is $300-400 less for the performance I wanted. I had a feed problem with the gun and all my communications with Dan Wesson were positive. They aranged to return Fedex the gun back and 4 days later it was returned. I have yet to fully test it but am confident it will perform.

It would have been a much easier decision for me to make if I had been able to go to a shop and compare the SA and Kimber directly to the Pointman.

Maybe the Kimber or SA is marginally better but the diminishing return for the extra cost was not worth it for me. Besides, I tend to be for the underdog.

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY KATANAP:GUNNUTS HERE,I see your from HAPPY VALLEY,I live near Harrisburg,about 15 miles north,off the WATTS EXIT-22-322,Your first 1911 WILL NOT be your last,I now have 6,What gunshop do you deal with up there?About your forum name,does that have to do with bikes?Maybe this spring I'll take a ride up that way on my YAMAHA FZ1 to check out your gundealer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
CounterStrike said:
On a side note a member of AR15.com with the nickname Waverunner ended up buying the exact gun tested in the mag. If you head over to Ar15.com you might be able to ask him about it. [/B]

Well well well...thought I'd finally check out other boards besides AR15.com, yup I did purchase the test gun that they reviewed in the Feb. 2002 issue of "Combat Handguns" magazine. :D

I am no 1911 expert but I did research long and hard before deciding on my first 1911 purchase. I am also on a "cops" budget so even though I would have loved a super high end 1911 like a Wilson Combat or Les Baer, I took a risk and went with something uncommon.

So far, the Dan Wesson Pointman has been 100% reliable and has gotten many a thumbs-up at the range. It shoots better than I am capable of with the various ammo I have used so far. Also, they do stand totally behind their products so if you ever have a problem it will be corrected immediately. Do I like it? Hell yes? Is there better out there? Sure, you do get what you pay for when it comes to 1911's but give Dan Wesson a chance, they are up and coming and have some fantastic new stuff coming in 2002.

http://www.danwessonfirearms.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
DW Purchased

Hi,

I just purchased a DW Guardian Deuce. Havent been to the range yet but so far it looks like a great firearm. I didnt recieve a
barrel bushing wrench and sent email to DW last night. When I got up this AM they had already responded and wanted my address to ship a wrench out. Any idea how you can identify the parts used in your DW? They advirtise using Chip McCormick parts as well as other "name" brand. I do have a Jarvis barrel. Also could anyone tell me the date that the article was published in Combat Handguns? I would like to buy the back issue. for those who care I bought mine from gunbroker.net. I looked at a few in various gun shows. All the show dealers wanted MSRP some even more. At least Gunfinder gave me a discount. The price of 1911's in general seem to be sky rocketing. I was floored at a show when I saw the price $$$ on a Colt Gold Cup SS Delta Elite like the one I have. I think I'll rent a safety deposit box :)

Thanks for any information

·
Registered
6 Posts
Combat Arms article

Fantastic! Sorry I missed what date the article was in CHG. I ran off to their web page and missed that bit of info. But I am contacting CHG for a back issue :p I am looking for 45 brass and bullets now. Also looking at some load data from a previous 1911a ownership. Probably should have never parted with that one either. I seem to say that alot..

Dave in GA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts