1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came from the range with the pointman minor and had a problem. After about half of the shots the hammer would end up in the half cock position. I would cock the hammer and it would fire just fine.

I guess I will send it back to Dan Wesson, but any ideas why this is doing this. Would it be a problem between the sear and hammer?

Thanks

------------------

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Your trigger over-travel screw may not be adjusted properly.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Not really sure what may be happening, possibly a bit more detail in what is happening might help...

Are you shooting, and when the slide cycles, the Hammer is following the slide back, and catching on the Half-Cock notch, rather than locking back?

Is the empty case ejecting cleanly? Were are the empties landing, same spot, scattered? Just wondering if the slide is fully cycling to the rear.

Factory ammo? Reload's? What loads? Recoil spring too heavy for a soft load, and not allowing the slide to cycle fully? Recoil Buffer's being used?

Any mod's to the gun? Someone do a Trigger job, and get the Hammer Hook to short?

How's the trigger? Too light, too much creep, Sear Spring not properly seated, maybe not bent enough?

I know, lot's of questions, but the amount of info provided isn't enough to really answer the question.

Moving this to Troubleshooting...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the trigger overtravel screw.

This happens when I'm shooting and the hammer follows slide back to half cock position.

I'm shooting my reloads which function very well in my Kimbers and Springfield. 230gr west coast plated and 5.2 gr of W231.

Empty cases seem to be ejecting fine and in a fairly tight group.

Only mod to the gun is a two piece full length guide rod from Ed Brown.

Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a lot of adjustment out of the trigger overtravel screw. I will try it out tomorrow and see if this was the cause.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

------------------

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Just a further point, you want about 1/8" (or just SLIGHTLY less) of trigger over-travel. That is, your trigger should still move back another 1/8" past the exact point where the hammer drops.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After adjusting the trigger overtravel screw, I put some rounds thru the gun today and it functioned flawlessly.

Thanks again for the advise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts