1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dan Wesson Pointman Minor. Out of the box i had some minor problems.

The easiest fix was adjusting the tension of the extractor to get reliable ejection.

The second was the slide stop cut in the frame was not cut correctly and the slide would drop when removing the empty magazine. Dan Wesson fixed this problem and took less than a week.

The Slide stop does not work with the factory mag but works well with Wilson and Chip McCormick mags.

The pistol came from the box with a great trigger, @ 3.5# and shoots dead on point of aim. I have have approximately 1000 rounds through it since getting the slide stop fixed and 800 rounds before getting the fix. It has eaten 230 grain ball, Winchester silver tips 185 and 200 JHP, Corbon 185 & 200 JHP +P and Federal Hydroshock 185 &230 JHP +P with no Failure to feed and and after the initial 50 rounds and tensioning the ejector no failure to eject.

The rounds were shot ramdomly in session between 50 to 400 rounds per shooting session.

For a gun that cost less than $500 I am really impressed.

------------------
Jerk

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Under $500? Wow! I was under the impression the new Pointman series would be too costly to even check into, so I largely ignored the offering. I guess that may have been a mistake, going to Wesson's site now....

<p>Thanks,
Callahan

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have a couple of questions...

- Is the slide/frame forged?
- Is the black oxide finish durable, and does it resemble Mil-Spec parkerization?
- Is the thumb safety extended/tactical or is it like the one on the Series 80 Colt Government?
- Do you have any pics? (expecially of the left side) Wesson's page only shows the right side of the weapon.

Thanks for your help,
Callahan

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just got off the phone with Wesson. Slide and frame are investment cast by an unidentified contractor. Finish is matte blue and NOT parkerized. Price you paid is on target for that model and any FFL holder
can order factory direct and make a profit selling at MSRP.

I'm pretty bummed about this. Oh well, back to salvitating over the Colt '91A1....

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Don't be bummed...Check into the Major!
That's where the better pistols are. The Minor is an entry level competitor for a Daly or maybe a bit better finished, not sure. The comparable pistols to SA and Kimber are the Major series...Veery good reports about them for accuracy...Less than a 1000 for several models. I'd sure like to shoot one

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
160 Posts
One of the guns rags had an article about the new Dan Wessons. Gave their higher end gun with a Jarvis barrel good reviews.

Essex is making the frames, I'm not sure but they might also make the slide. Investment castings.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Caspian makes some good cast frames too. I think they are warranted for life just like the Essex...at least in 45acp...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hmmm.... Oh well, too late now. I've already ordered the Colt 1911A1 reproduction. I plan to make a carry piece out of it and slightly customize it. The value won't increase all that dramatically anyways, so why not put some decent night sights and a King's drop in 'tail on it?

I've also got the ultimate set of grip panels in mind. The wait is killer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts