1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Preparing for my 2nd 1911 and thought I'd throw this out there. I've read most of the This vs. That posts on this site and - you guys blow me away. More than knowledgeable, insightful and articulate. That said, the Les Baer vs. more expensive custom builds entertained me all night. But, generally speaking, the Les Baer (my one and only 1911 is a Premier II Tactical) prices up more appropriately to the Dan Wesson, which has a solid following on here as well.

FWIW - my next one is probably a Commander model for carry.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Baer builds his Commanders (Commanches) on government frames. It may, or may not be an issue to you.

A true Commander frame has an extended ejector, shortened frame rails, and modified internal dimensions (for guide rod placement) to accomodate the shorter slide travel. Baers do not...just sayin'...

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Do you want a hand-fit gun, or an off-the-shelf gun?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Baer builds his Commanders (Commanches) on government frames. It may, or may not be an issue to you.

A true Commander frame has an extended ejector, shortened frame rails, and modified internal dimensions (for guide rod placement) to accomodate the shorter slide travel. Baers do not...just sayin'...
See - this is exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you, Shane.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
No worries.

I have a couple Commanches and one ran fine out of the box. The other wouldn't run for the life of me, until I machined the frame to "true" Commander specs. Now it runs perfectly.

There are many happy Commanche owners. However, I feel that Baer not matching a true commander frame with the short slide is a bit of an un-needed compromise. It's not that much extra work to make a commander frame. And it would have solved a lot of my initial FTE issues had Baer done that in the first place.

My (limited) experience with DW pistols is positive. For a production gun, the examples I had seen, and the couple I shot - were fine. Not too tight, not too loose. There were no obvious examples of anything not fit correctly. With Baer, you are definitely paying more for a higher level of hand-fitting and (arguably) better parts, however. If you want a tight gun with accuracy as your main concern, go with Baer. But as I said, I could find no fault with the few DW's I've shot.

Let us know what you end up doing. :)

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Both are great guns and gun builders. But, the price point has become so close I would go with Baer. As you know they are old school hand built guns.

I have zero experience with the commander size Bears, and as was pointed out above, they aren't true commanders.

If you want a top notch commander size gun for carry, out of these two brands, I would go with the Dan Wesson Guardian. It is an aluminum frame, and this may bother you, but it is a dream to shoot.

If you're talking government size, Les Baer.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I chose a Valor over a Baer when I wanted a government size, and I'd be even more likely to go DW on a commander.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I love Baer's.
But i would take the Dan Wesson in this case.
check my signature.
Nough said

·
Registered
329 Posts
Since you've already got a Les Baer, try the Dan Wesson for comparison. They are both excellent. I have two LB's and four DW's and would get more of each :) In a Commander sized gun my choice would be a duty finish Dan Wesson V-bob

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Well, my second 1911 was a used DW Cbob. Great gun, has never had any issues. My 3rd 1911 is a Baer that I just ordered.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either one, just have to decide what YOU want in a pistol and who offers it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
If you were talking government, I would recommend the Baer. The government size Baers are excellent. However, I would get a DW or STI Lawman 4.0 if I wanted a commander.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well..did ya do the deed yet???
Post some pic's.

Hope you did the smart thing and took the Wesson:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts