1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order a DAN WESSON 1911/pointman match grade tomorrow,I spoke with the company it will take about 8weeks.They seem like a good deal.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I hope you will post here again, once you've gotten your DW and fired it a bit. I'd like to know if it really is a good gun. Just based on the name, I would assume it is at least decent quality, solid workmanship, but I'd like to hear your comments.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Originally posted by JOEE:
I'm going to order a DAN WESSON 1911/pointman match grade tomorrow,I spoke with the company it will take about 8weeks.They seem like a good deal.
You know I wasn't going to reply but I thought maybe I can save you some grief. I read an article on this gun and it wasn't too good. Now I dont normally take stock in gunwriters but why buy this DW when you can get a Kimber or something else. The gun wasnt very accurate. Its just seems like you would put alot into it to make it right. Just my thought. Good luck

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks all, maybe i'll think a bit...........

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...about what?
What made you curious in the first place?
Have you seen one? If you already did the research and decided you wanted one, you aren't letting one stranger change your mind are you?
LOL...I really want to see one of these! I've heard the opposite....That they're very nice right out of the box and about the same as most as far as your basic no frills 1911...

I'd seen something about different models as well...4", 5", etc...Do you know if there are options from the factory with regard to barrel makers and such?

The pictures are around but I haven't seen one in person yet and don't know anyone that has. Does anyone OWN one of these or is it all just gossip so far?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I saw the Dan Wesson line of 1911's at a gun
show recently and they looked very nice..The only problem I had was that they cannot be
sold in Mass.. It is rumored that there will be a list of new guns that will be legal to sell new.. At the moment a pistol has to be made before 10/98 to be legal to sell..
Real pain in the a**,if you know what I mean..

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the future, when posting negative reports on anything in the handgun category, list the publication and the name of the person who did the test and wrote the report. Without this critical information, there is no point in repeating it. Without reference, it is just innuendo and second hand war stories...of no value to anybody.
There is one magazine that purports to do thorough tests on firearms using "testers" who have absolutely no background in engineering or gunsmithing. Some of what they report is useful, but most of it is atypical and shows a total ignorance of the field. The "problems" encountered could be fixed in a few seconds by anyone who understood guns.
There are those who ask: "Why shouldn't I expect something to work right out of the box if there is adequate quality control at the factory?" In 1936, every pistol that left Colt was checked thoroughly by one inspector. Today, doing that final check would raise the price of the gun over $100.
These people who complain about "quality control" would probably take a new knife out of the factory box and immediately cut themselves with it while testing the edge with a finger to see if it was really sharp.
So, they could get into trouble with a device that has no moving parts!
I hate to bring this up, but there are no tests that have to be passed by potential buyers to determine whether they have sufficient knowledge of firearms to be allowed to purchase one, so guns fall into the hands of people who have the potential of hurting themselves or others with a device they do not properly understand and obviously have no idea of the proper use and safety rituals. If they were required to take classes before purchase or to demonstrate that they understand the gun they are going to have under their control, it would be a great benefit to the pro-gun cause, because there wouldn't be so many gun "accidents" for the news media to report.
Most gun accidents are caused by people who simply don't understand the potentially dangerous nature of their firearm.
Before you take the word of ANY gun writer, make certain that he has the background to BE a gun writer. "Well, I shot a lotta guns," isn't the kind of background that qualifies a person to be a gun writer. I have a Ransom rest that has shot more guns than anyone on this forum, and it would be a lousy gun writer, in my opinion. (Or, in other words, just photographs of a pistol being tested without the interpretation and evaluation of a knoledgeable gunsmith or firearms engineer are not the way to evaluate a particular pistol.)

Thank you for listening.

·
Super Moderator
7,789 Posts
Originally posted by waldopepper303:
I have a Ransom rest that has shot more guns than anyone on this forum, and it would be a lousy gun writer, in my opinion. (Or, in other words, just photographs of a pistol being tested without the interpretation and evaluation of a knoledgeable gunsmith or firearms engineer are not the way to evaluate a particular pistol.)

Thank you for listening.
Bold statement sir. I commend you for having the guts to say that.

As far a gun writers and reviews go, I don’t believe a word of it. From any gun rag.

I just ask shooters, not writers, who have shot them. Much easier in the long run.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Originally posted by Bompa:
I saw the Dan Wesson line of 1911's at a gun
show recently and they looked very nice..The only problem I had was that they cannot be
sold in Mass.. It is rumored that there will be a list of new guns that will be legal to sell new.. At the moment a pistol has to be made before 10/98 to be legal to sell..
Real pain in the a**,if you know what I mean..

It's illegal...If it's not, it should be! I hate the thought of someone deciding what's "safe" for me...Kinda' like spittin' in someones' face...and" of course you can't have that...Now run along before you get a stern talkin' to! "

Sheesh...Is it time for another "tea party"?

Cripes...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've seen a DW 1911 at a shop recently. It was NIB for $399.00. If I remember correctly, it was blued w/ Videcki-like trigger, bt grip safety, can't remember about the thumb safety, adj. rear target sight, can't remember about the front being dovetailed or not. The slide/frame fit was nice...not too tight, not sloppy. Barrel and bushing seemed to fit well also. Only thing, the trigger was heavy and had some creep. Haven't shot one, and can't remember any thing else about it other than the finish was not bad either.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey Waldopepper, don't know what state you live in, but CA (KA)legislature is voting on a bill to require "demonstrated competency" with a handgun before you are allowed to buy one. Some bureaucrat will decide what this means.

How are you supposed to gain competency? Rent a gun at a shooting range?

My feeling is this is only another ploy to stop people from getting handguns. It would prevent new legal owners, and I think the anti-gun people would be happy with that for now, while they figure out how to take away the handguns of the existing legal owners.

We ALREADY have the "approved for sale list" and it's got nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with restricting access to handguns (IMHO).

Dan Wesson 1911's are not on our list, so we can't legally buy a new one from a dealer. I've seen their web site, they look great.

I've read their frames/slides are made by Essex, and that Essex recently upgraded machinery to improve quality control. Essex has a checkered reputation, to say the least. Used to be good enough, lately not so good, and now,pposedly very recently, much improved.

But never seen a Dan Wesson, and probably won't for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Ya' know those look good...I've not seen the newer pics' til' now! Thanks Shane-Man!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts