1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 times now I've been bid up beyond reason on a pre 70 govt.
Guess I need to rethink my values if I want to add one to my collection.
And to the high bidders, I hope they are everything they appeared to be.

·
Administrator
74,042 Posts
What did they sell for? I got $1800 for the LNIB one I sold a year ago, maybe they've gone up even more since then?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not Lnib
This last one had an obvious idiot scratch and a few other blemishes/scratches.
I bounced at $1400
If I could find a Lnib one, I'd have reservations about sending it off to get chopped up in to what I want.... Might be less expensive to buy a $2k nib one and let it sit in the safe...... What fun is that?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=378699735

·
Administrator
74,042 Posts
Well, they're definitely startng to achieve collectible status, like most everything else made in the old Blue Onion Dome factory. There will be a day when people will see a custom gun made from a pre-70 and wince, much like they do these days when they see a WW2 M1911A1 chopped up in similar fashion.

·
Premium Member
15,730 Posts
DSK, I'm pretty sure we're already there. That's why those post-war to 1969 GMs have already doubled in price in the last ten years. As far as using it as a mule to customize, I have to question why anyone would specify an expensive pre-70 with intent to modify, with MKIV/Series '70 prices still low for an obviously used one.

·
Administrator
74,042 Posts
I'm sure a lot of folks (like me) simply prefer the old pre-70 rollmarks. I really, really, REALLY wish Colt would bring them back on their so-called Series 70 repros. Aside from the taller sights they're actually pre-70 repros.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Back in the 1970's I wanted a commercial .45, but really hated the Series '70 billboard rollmarks. Got some G.I. 1911's and stopped looking for a postwar commercial. Finally about 6 years back I got the bug and found one for close to a grand. It wasn't by any means flawless, but it was decent and available. I sprung for what I knew was too much and am glad I did.

Put some walnut stocks to replace the plastic and couldn't be happier. Prices are finally coming in line with what I paid.

Just love those rollmarks, especially the little stars!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yes, it's true, these post-war to 1969 Government models have in fact doubled in price in just the last 10 years. Now I am starting to seeing the same trend for the pre-80 series Colt Combat Commanders (blued, steel frame models) are heading in the same direction. I'm talking about the ones manufactured from 1970 to 1978. I guess the name of these models is very appropriate...."Commander" for the prices they command.:D

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Some of the prices are impressive. I think a lot of it is due to online auctions like gunbroker where you have an international audience.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They were hand built Colt was at the top. Try GA I've seen some reasonable prices. I like the NiB NM. Take a look at Pythons, Diamondbacks whew!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Well, they're definitely startng to achieve collectible status, like most everything else made in the old Blue Onion Dome factory. There will be a day when people will see a custom gun made from a pre-70 and wince, much like they do these days when they see a WW2 M1911A1 chopped up in similar fashion.
+1M

Lot of bubbas do not know the difference between a pre-70, a S70 or a S80.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Yes, it's true, these post-war to 1969 Government models have in fact doubled in price in just the last 10 years...
Just a bit of trivia, the "pre-70's" were built up to the end of June, 1970. Colt shut down for a week around July 4th, then re-opened with the assembly line turning out the Series '70 afterwards.

This is one of the last 100 "pre-70s" built in June that year.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a bit of trivia, the "pre-70's" were built up to the end of June, 1970. Colt shut down for a week around July 4th, then re-opened with the assembly line turning out the Series '70 afterwards.

This is one of the last 100 "pre-70s" built in June that year.

If I'm not mistaken that is a "bb"
Which is series 70 collet bushing?
Asking, not stating.
Edit:
It's breathtakingly beautiful as well

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that is a "bb"
Which is series 70 collet bushing?
Yes, that is a stealth 70 prototype. There were about 1,000 built randomly in the last six months of pre-70 production. You got the best of both worlds!

I have two, and there are other collectors here with more than I (where is "ribbedbumpers" when you need him?).

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
That's a nice rare one Bryan...

I paid $1,028 for this one last month. Needed a birth year gun. There's deals to be had.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts