1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm tooling around on the PSA site. I see a blem complete pistol lower for $109.99. I see a 10.5" carbine gassed, 1/7, melonited pistol upper w/o BCG and CH for $179.99 with free shipping. I have a brand new BCG sitting around. Hmm.

However, being cheap, and not so flush, I'm balking at shipping or any other excuse I can come up with. Mind you these items are in my cart, but I let it set a few days to think about it. I've long been wanting an AR pistol to try out, but not wanting to go hardcore on it. I don't want to spend what it would take to build a nice (decent components, nothing primo) middy carbine for an AR Pistol though.

Then I make the mistake of popping back on the PSA site last night and the first thing I see is "All lowers shipped free through Sunday." Oh crap! I check my cart, check the shipping location has been selected, press recalculate and DANG! Free shipping on both upper and lower. That's $289.98 for both complete pistol lower and the barreled upper. I already have the PSA Premium BCG I caught on sale at $79.99 and a CH I have little in.

So less than $400 in an AR pistol to play with. If I like it I can do upgrades as I go. If I don't? Then pull the barrel and receiver extension, pick up a carbine barrel on sale and a carbine receiver extension and Viola, I have another carbine and sell the pistol take offs.

Oh yeah. To make matters worse, Primary Arms has their MagPul carbine handguard on sale for $24.95, and in FDE no less. Yeah, that's on order too.

The scary part is that well, since I'll have this box with standard handguards (this take off), a pistol grip or two, and standard stocks from past take offs, it only stands to reason that at some point I should consider building an inexpensive carbine for an extra. Right? That's sound logic isn't it? I did promise the wife that at some point I'd lego up an AR for her. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Sounds to me like big fun!

I'm doing a *wifey carbine* even as we speaketh and she doesn't even know it yet. :eek:

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He has no issues converting a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol again if he so chooses. None, Nada.
Exactly. If it started life as a pistol, and this applies to T/C Encore and Contenders, you can convert it to a rifle, then back to a pistol if you choose. The technical kicker is during the change to be perfectly legal you need to make sure you put the rifle barrel or upper on first, THEN the stock. Stock then barrel change and you have a brief overlap of having created a SBR. Now if the receiver was first built into a rifle (transferred as a rifle and not a handgun) then you cannot convert it to a rifle.

Love those little details. :rolleyes: Just remember, it's not required to make sense. It's bureaucracy preening itself.

If you are expecting sympathy from this crowd. You might be waiting for a while. :)
:D Naw, pretty much a knowing nod and a chuckle from my fellow afflicted. And I'm just a lightweight (currently) compared to a lot of you guys. At least I haven't had to feed that long range precision rifle craving. Yet. ;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Amos that is the same upper my friend bought about 6 months ago and it groups really well and hasn't had a malfunction to date. He too bought his set up so cheap that it has become his truck pistol.

·
Administrator
18,598 Posts

·
Administrator
18,598 Posts
It has a barrel shorter than 16" oa, anything shorter would be dedicated to being either be a pistol or a short barreled rifle pending on how the lower is set-up. Could swing both ways.
My point, exactly. Nothing on that upper makes it a "pistol" upper.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My point, exactly. Nothing on that upper makes it a "pistol" upper.
Good point too. I was just calling it a pistol upper so like the SIG brace, I could say, "See, my intent was to use it on a pistol lower and not for a SBR." ;) "I bought an AR pistol upper." or "I bought a short barrel AR upper." After all, the ATF seems to now claim that as to the legality of the SIG Brace is based solely on a person's intent now. :rolleyes:

It's not specifically a pistol upper, but just a 10.5" upper with a carbine gas system. Oddly enough PSA has this one labeled as a 11.5" Pistol Upper I can't see any difference other than one inch of barrel length and it comes with BCG & CH.

:D It's all in the way you hold your mouth and say the words I guess.

Speaking of tube add on goodies. I saw this and found it interesting. http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/AR-PISTOL/p/ENHANCED-ARAK-PISTOL-CHEEK-REST-KIT-x3607311.htm

I like the enhanced version with the QD sockets and the idea of getting a good cheek weld. No shoulder needed. Couple with a sling adjusted just right and you could get some solid shooting from a balanced rig. I've played with a Ruger Charger and a Henry Mare's Leg in a similar way.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You have a sickness that we all must encourage and embrace. Don't you love it when they take away all of our excuses? :D

I love my AR pistol build. I went with an 11.5 inch BCM upper and the SIG brace too.

Nothing about the upper makes it a pistol upper until it's paired with a pistol lower. :) Then again, nothing makes it a rifle upper until it's paired with a rifle lower, then it's considered a "SBR". That's the ATF's fun with definitions and intent for us...

I thought about SBR'ing mine, but with the travel restrictions, and family and friend restrictions of a tax stamp the pistol build was the way to go for me.

With my concealed carry permit I can legally carry it as my truck gun without having to ask the ATF permission to cross state lines.

Definitely worth the money for the fun factor at the range too.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A fun short video, PSA beating up one of their own.
https://youtu.be/g2rG8xXfDbg
I can just here those guys saying, "Yeah! Take that LAV and DD!" LOL The drag test really made me cringe.

I loved the first part running a few hundred rounds totally dry and buried in dirt. I still hear the never even owned or were issued one guys who parrot the same lines about AKs running bullet proof and ARs being so delicate, must be kept spotless, and needing to be oozing lube.

Like 1911s, build em right, feed em right, and they run.

Since I'm just getting the Melonited upper on my pistol I guess I'll skip the thought of kicking some dust in mine then running it and refer folks to the video. :D

Oh yeah. The lower is due at the FFL tomorrow and the upper being delivered to work Thursday. :rock: I placed the order last Thursday, the 13th.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update and Pic

So I placed this order last Thursday night. The lower was at my transfer FFL yesterday and the upper arrived at my workplace today. Even though I work at an FFL they don't do transfers, BUT I didn't have to worry about missing the BBT (Big Brown Truck) by having the upper sent to work.

I ordered a Magpul FDE carbine handguard from Primary Arms and it arrived even sooner. I already had the BCG and CH in hand and I snatched the red dot off my FDE middy gassed Dissipator and put the carry handle back on the later for sighting. And it looks good on there I think.

Anyway, went Lego and snapped it all together and decided to snap a quick phone pic of the FDE pair. Looking at it I think I might need a brace just for the look, and other things. Thinking about the Thordsen Custom Enhanced Buffer Tube Cover w/cheek rest, but would entail changing out the tube. By the time I do that I've spent enough to just get a SIG brace.

Anyway, here's a quick pic, so don't be too harsh. ;)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Both look real good! The pistol build reminds me of mine, except mine is all black MOE furniture. I really like the AFG or AFG2 (whichever fits your hands better), and I like the looks and ergonomics of the Thordsen. I didn't really know about the Thordsen until after I had ordered my Sig brace. I really like the Sig brace too, and with KAK's buffer tube design I can change the overall length to my taste (which is not nose to charging handle).

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I was thinking that the AFG would be a good idea on the pistol. I usually run a VFG to use primarily as a handstop on the carbines. The one in on the mock dissy is set so it acts that way and the light is right under my thumb (set for southpaw operation). But, on the pistol if using a cheek weld I can see the AFG would relieve some of the the stress on the wrist.

The pistol lower came with an ambi hook sling mount on it. Just playing around I can use a single point to snug the pistol a bit when setting for a cheek weld. I'm thinking the Thordsen Enhanced because it would have Q/D wells on each side near the receiver. A short, two point sling adjusted just right and a slight push forward would provide an anchor point using a cheek weld. You could run the sling short and with the push button Q/Ds be able to get in and out of it easy. I'll have to give the KAK tube a bit more thought too. Hearing personal experiences from someone who uses both the AFG and the KAK tube is always helpful. Thanks for the info.

I'll probably add a linear comp just to push the blast and flash downrange. Plus some of the linears I've researched tend to push straight back more with less flip. A little more recoil that goes straight back beats more muzzle flip and/or blast in the face for me. Already wondering if I should swap out the barrel for a 10.5" .300 Blackout.

PSA is getting to be represented in the house and on the bank statement. I only have two ARs and now the pistol. Weak I know, but I ain't that flush. Otherwise they would all be DD or BCM. ;) The pistol upper and lower, the upper and lower for the AR not in the photo, plus their premium BCGs for each (caught on sale), and the mock dissipator upper (CHF steel) in the photo that's on a Windham lower, are all from PSA.

It's a dangerous website to peruse. My Wishlist must be trimmed weekly or it grows like weeds in an ungrazed pasture. Labor Day nears. I should just block the site until after... Nah.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
PSA's website definitely keeps me in trouble too. Most of my builds have PSA premium build kits in them. My favorite AR is the one with my PSA premium carbine upper on it. I'm at 3 AR's, and one AR pistol. Then again, I still have two spare complete lowers (one PSA and one Anderson) in the safe ready to go. I'm just trying to bide my time until the Black Friday sales.

Must resist.......!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
PSA's website definitely keeps me in trouble too. Most of my builds have PSA premium build kits in them. My favorite AR is the one with my PSA premium carbine upper on it. I'm at 3 AR's, and one AR pistol. Then again, I still have two spare complete lowers (one PSA and one Anderson) in the safe ready to go. I'm just trying to bide my time until the Black Friday sales.

Must resist.......!!!!!! :D
SSHHHHH....I'm hoping for something Labor day sales...my complete PSA lower wants this right now

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ium-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts