1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me when a Smith Model 60 serial number 510xx was manufactured? It may be a Model 6 because there is no 0 after the 6. It is a small 5 shot.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Well, there never was a Model 6 and if it's a Model 60, it should have a R prefixed serial number or, if any early one, be within the 401754-401792 range, so I'm not sure what you have.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it appears to be a Model 60. Definately no 0 after the 6 though. One of our Trooper's got it from her grandfather. It's all stainless, 100% engraved with aged ivory grips. The serial number is on the bottom of the grip and on the the cylinder. I was warned not to place the entire serial number on here. I was just trying to get the date of manutacture for the Trooper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RE: model 60?

The first of the SS model 60's were made in 1965 and would not have the Ser.# on the face of the Cyc. as seen when loading. Sounds like you have a nickle Chiefs Special, a Model 36. If so, based on the Ser.#, I'd say 1954ish+/- hhowever S&W didn't model mark their guns till 1957. Pics and a further description would help such as: is the Ser# on the underside barrel flat, how many screws, flat latch? Etc. Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts