1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Dan Wesson discontinue the dave pruitt model. Been thinking of one lately. All you dave pruitt owners tell me about your guns likes/dislikes.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
114 Posts
PMDP

Love mine. I'm over 2000 rounds thru it and never a jam with ball ammo. You will have the most unique 1911 at the range if you get one. The serrations are cool, and make it more 'non-snag' than my other pistols with front and rear 'standard' slide serrations. I locktighted the rear sight in place and put Hogue grips on it and that's about all I'll ever do to it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
PMDP

Mine is my favorite shooter in my collection.
After the break in, there has not been a single bobble
in function.

Stock out of the box:

After adding a Wilson Ambi Safety, S&A mag well, and flat bottom Ahrends grips:

No other mods wanted or needed.

Grab one, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love my PMDP too. Shoots great.

The only thing I am having a little trouble with is installing a mag well -- but I will get that worked out.

No regrets at all -- great gun for a great price.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got rid of mine as soon as I found out about the religious connection. I was allowed $375 on the trade at my favorite store. They have a hard time moving them, according to the owner, so your resale isn't good. I think the old saying of "you get what you pay for" holds true.

As far as funcionality, I didn't have many problems after the initial break in period of fte's and ftf's.

If you don't mind the cross, it will do you as good as a Charles Daly or another lower end pistol and looks better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What "religious connection" are you referring to? What cross?

I have had several knowledgeable people tell me that they think DW could give Kimber a run for their money.

Personally, I think its an example of getting more than what you are paying for. There is no problem moving these guns around here and it will only get better as more people realize DW is making 1911s.

It is certainly a step above a Charles Daly in my mind. Maybe several steps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There is a small cross above the DW logo. That is the religious connection.

My brother and I rented a Kimber Gold Match yesterday and shot it alongside my Patriot. I would say the guns were equals. Of course the price on them wasn't equal, with the Kimber costing several hundred dollars more. The Kimber was a very sweet gun and I don't know which one I'd pick out of the two, but factor in price and the Patriot is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
religious connection

I'm not a very religious person, and the cross doesn't bother me. Heck, I paid for the gun with money that says, "In God We Trust" on it. ;)
I guess it's a good thing it doesn't bother me, or I'd have to get rid of my "religious connection" money, too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The difference is that everyone knows about the label on the money. I'm sure you can find a story about it on the US Treasury site. Also, you can quite plainly read the words on the money, it isn't tiny. Finding out about it after you spent the money on a pistol is another thing altogether. The gun shop owner of the place I frequent wasn't aware of it either.

I would feel the same way if I spent money on something and found a devils mark on it, and it was not advertised by the maker. Very misleading and not good business. As I said earlier though, I don't have anything bad to say about the pistol itself, it's a good entry level pistol for new shooters, if you accept the other nonsense.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Garymac,

you vented your feelings about the cross already on another thread.

You traded your Dan Wessons.

You seem to be pursuing the "religious connection" thing with missionary zeal.

Why not let it rest?

·
Registered
250 Posts
The thread starter asked a question. I answered. Someone else commented on my statement. I answered. You commented on my statement. I answered.

As always, I'm done unless someone comments on my statement.

·
Registered
377 Posts
garymac said:
... it's a good entry level pistol for new shooters....
Oh well.....

In my opinion, the fit, finish, and function on my PMDP is better than my Springfield Loaded at half the price, and some Colts I've owned.

It's also good for seasoned shooters, too. :)

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Garymac, you are Wrong:

garymac said:

If you don't mind the cross, it will do you as good as a Charles Daly or another lower end pistol and looks better.
I have a Charles Daly and while it is a good pistol for the money, it has no where near the fit and finish of my Dan Wesson Patriot or ANY other DW I have seen, and I have seen alot of them at my dealers. Anybody that compared the two brands in person would be able to see the difference.
I think maybe your perceived "problem" with the cross has clouded your objectivity. DW has NEVER made a secret of the cross.
Just uninformed people making a judgement based upon what they think was something done without their knowledge which is far from the case has caused some concern. DW has been very forthright about their putting the cross on their pistols. Do alittle research.
Your opinion is as valid as mine and I respect that. But get your facts straight first.

All the best,

Art

·
Registered
250 Posts
DW has NEVER made a secret of the cross
I'll just say that my main gun shop owner, the manager at my indoor range, and everyone there found out about it from me. I personally know of no one that was aware of it. I remember no explanation in the literature that came with it. I just did a quick check of their web site and found nothing. If you show me where it is, I'll stand corrected. In the meantime, I'll stand by my "facts".

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sure, there's information available to me now. When I bought the thing, I wasn't aware of this place, And I already had it before that thread started anyway. There was a person who found out about it in this very thread, so it is not "common" knowledge at all. It may be known by some, but most people buying firearms don't check here to see if there are crosses or devil marks on things before they buy.

A post on page 3 of a thread by the company president stating that a cross goes on every pistol they make hardly makes it "common knowledge" to the buying public. That still doesn't say what the cross is for.

I know that in the discussions I have had face to face with people at the range that most think it should be noted in the literature and on the web site, and we agree that sales would suffer as a result if in fact they did do that.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
OK OK.. Dead Horse Meat gets mushy!

We have been over this and over it... Nobody is going to change their minds.
'
They don't need to... It's a free country!

Let's just drop it AGAIN!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Prospective buyer asks for thoughts on a potential purchase
A negative (among positives) is brought out by me
Supporters argue with me
Another wants to drop it.

Typical.

The guy didn't ask for only good things, he asked for "likes/dislikes" and I tried to help him. You need to hang a "spin-zone" sign at the door I think.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Garymac:

You seem to want a "Warning Lable" Like a cigarette packs."Caution: Cross involved"
Do you know that KARH pistols are made by the brother of the founder of the Mooneys and that he contribtes to that church? And that Colts new CO is a retired Major General of the Marine Corps?
I have a Walther P38, am I a Natzi?, Of course not.
Where do you draw the line?
If you are going to buy a pistol, no matter what brand, read about it and know what you are buying. Don't come back after the fact and say you did not know about this and that.
You dropped the ball, not the company you bought it from. The Info was there, whether you choose to read it is another matter.

Mach1: Sorry to have hijacked your thread. It needed to be done.

All the best,

Art

Edited to add: Iggy, of course you are right. It just gets old hearing the same disinformation over and over again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.