1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was any others this guy is booked in 2004 the next available slot is in 2005....

I'm not really wanting to wait that dang long to learn it.

Any other options??

Grinch

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Cylinder and Slide offers a class, but not online.
Or you could do it like me: the hard way.
A pile of books, a lot of research, a metric ton of elbow grease, and a few thousand bucks worth of trial and error.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! expensive...

The parts no biggy but the course its self is 1500.00

Wish I had the money to go though I'm in San Diego and they got a class hear soon too but my itty bitty miltary paycheck makes it difficult to get by. I cant seem to beable to raise 4000.00.

Bummer

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
I think Dave Sample may have a few openings for the 2004 class.
The completed guns I've seen look great (photos only).
His phone number might be 928-771-9272 or try directory
information for Prescott, AZ.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I'm part of Dave's 2003 class, working on my Patriot bit by bit (probably won't be done till '04), and I recommend the class for anyone interested in learning the basics of making their own 1911. "No previous experience required", or even wanted, since professional machinists or gunsmiths aren't allowed to take the class! (We "tinkerers" are welcome, though.)

You can pretty much work at your own pace.
Dave is a great old guy, and always available and open to questions.

He worked a couple "extra" people into our class, and it sure wouldn't hurt to ask if you could still maybe get in on the '04 class.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cant get the web page to come up any more???

Any one else having this problem??

Anyone got his #??

·
Registered
14,931 Posts
Yep, I wouldn't think that ol' Dave would be too comfortable with a real gunsmith or machinist in his class, nor would a real machinist or gunsmith be likely to find Dave's class of much interest.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
As though you'd know anything about it, Walter!
That was a "catty" thing to say, and completely uncalled-for.

·
Registered
262 Posts
if you're in NC, you might want to look at the NRA gunsmithing program at Mongtomery Community College in Troy, NC - their web page is here

I took a 4 day 1911 class with Jack Weigand last year. Course was 8 hours a day, cost was $300. When you showed up, they gave everyone a starter pack worth about $125 from brownells (punch set, bench block, barrel alignment block, bench mat, etc.)
The other visiting instructor at the time was a guy from Tennesee who was teaching some class about single action revolvers. Turns out it was Hamilton Bowen.

They don't have their 2004 course schedule up, but looking through the classes from last year, they had a 10 day class with Ron Power on action jobs ("Ruger single action revolver, S&W double action revolver, Ruger 10-22 and Ruger double action revolvers"). Class ran from August 11-20, 2003. Cost? $60 + $30 supply fee.

Jared

·
Premium Member
8,296 Posts
Jared,

Awesome price on that course. Too bad I wasn't closer to NC.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,296 Posts
Dean wrote:

"Plus room, board and travel. "

Exactly why I didn't go...those "hidden" costs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
No Gunsmiths?

WalterGC said:
Yep, I wouldn't think that ol' Dave would be too comfortable with a real gunsmith or machinist in his class, nor would a real machinist or gunsmith be likely to find Dave's class of much interest.
I wondered about that too. Why wouldnt he want a gunsmith in the class? I always heard that gunsmiths like to network and
exchange ideas with other gunsmiths so they can all learn
things just like musicians like to work with other musicians.
Maybe I missed something though.

C-Buff

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Re: No Gunsmiths?

ColtBuff said:
I wondered about that too. Why wouldnt he want a gunsmith in the class? I always heard that gunsmiths like to network and

C-Buff
I don't think Dave plays well with others.:)
Unless of course, they agree will him all the time and praise him to the heavens.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Coltbuff;

There is no deep dark reason for Dave wanting to teach students who are not professionals. He teaches the construction of ONE type of a handgun using a careful selection of parts that he has put together for the beginner to be able to succeed with. He does not have the time or the inclination to deal with those who want to change the specs or use different methods of construction. The learning curve is high, but not so steep that he loses anyone along the way.

This course isn't designed for the advanced student. The skills taught are the basics with very little use of mechanical implements (dremels). The VAST majorityof the work is done by file, stone, and paper. Not something a skilled machinist would want to take up their time with.

Walter has no idea what he is talking about, but that never stopped him before. This course is hard enough to teach without having to UNtrain people who are used to doing things their own way. Students with no previous gunsmithing experience don't come to the table with any pre-conceived notions or habits. The success rate and the finished product have been phenomenal. ALL in the gun community who have had the occasion to examine completed Patriots have been universal in their praise. They are all surprised at the quality of the product turned out by Dave's first-time students. And these are people with a great deal more acumen and knowledge about 1911's than Walter could ever hope to have.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Couldn't have said it better than that Sean. The proof is in the pudding and we've gotten a lot of praise from those that have seen the results and tremendous support from the industry, for the third year in a row, and the support is gaining and not waining.

The course is designed to take someone with limited or no knowledge of the art of building a 1911 from totally unfitted parts and building it to completion without any comprimises. A practicing gunsmith couldn't afford to put 80 hours into the creation of one pistol and feed his family in the process. If he could invest that much time per copy, I'd hate to see the price of the pistol, but would be proud that he could sell 26 or so a year.

The class is booked for this year, the final orders have been placed with the 9 manufacturers, so now any other addition would cause a delay and there are 18 motivated men that won't hear of that. God willing there will be another class next year.

Now for the previous graduates, we will be doing another pistol in the spring, but that will be on the class forum so as not to cause any more contraversy here.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Re: No Gunsmiths?

ColtBuff said:

C-Buff
I guess you did. Next thing you know we'd all be fitting sears to hammers and getting pople hurt, that wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Without experience

I guess that makes sence. Its kind of like my drivers ed teacher told us. He would rather teach somedy that never drove a car
than somebody who has.

C-Buff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts