1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting a Dawson rail on my 5" Kimber Custom Classic I. The lights I'm considering are the Surefire X200, X300, and the Streamlight TLR. I'm curious to see how these lights will fit up underneath the dustcover and where it will place the light switch in relation to the trigger. I haven't ruled out the remote tape-switch, but I'm leaning towards the normal rear switch at this point based on other pistol-mounted lights I've used in the past.

If anyone has pictures of any of these lights on a Dawson rail would you please post them? Also, if you have pictures of how the adapter piece fits on the lights I'd like to see them as well.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pics and the info everyone.

Can the SF lights slide on and off the gun without having to remove screws?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again.

·
Registered
633 Posts
No problem and nothing but praise for Dawson.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Heres mine........Pics (and work) by Chuck Rogers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can one of you pull the weapon light off and take a pic of the adapter installed? I am trying to figure out of the SSL-1 (previously mentioned) can be used with that adapter, mostly out of curiousity. There is only about a $25 price difference on eBay.

Thanks Nomadz, I was very vague upon reading that again. Could you post a pic of the part that is mounted to the flashlight also? That was what I was looking for but didn't clarify it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You have to switch the rail on the light itself to fit the Dawson rail.

THey only make them for the X200/300 series. If one will fit a SSL, I don't know, but if i get the time I'll look.

You could always contact dawson.

Bob

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dawson contacted

I can't really afford a 200 dollar light, so I called Dawson to see if their rail would fit a TLR-1. The very nice lady there informed me that the rail was designed for, and only fits, the X200/300 light.

Sorry.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That narrows down light choices for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, that answers that. Oh well, those x200's can be had on eBay for decent prices. Anyone have a pic of the rail adapter fitted onto a X200?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Whats the advantage to the dawson rail as opposed to a standard picatinny rail?

I know Force Recon uses them on their 1911s as well as MEU(SOC) units but not sure why

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I checked the SSL, the hole pattern is different, so it doesn't look like the adapter will fit.
Price aside I think your better off with the SureFire, my TLR on my work gun, soiled the sheets for no apparent reason, and with not alot of rounds/use.

The Dawson rail, is good to mod existing frames with no rail. Its lower profile and lighter then other add on rails, which by using the right light, will get you into more holster choices. Most people say you can stretch a leather holster for a standard dustcover 1911(like you probably already have) to fit a dawson rail equipped 1911.
I didn't bother and just bought a Kramer already molded for teh dawson rail.

Being limited to a SureFire light, does not bother me, as I think they are about teh best you can get, and x200/300 will do everything I nedd apistol light to do.

BTW:pat Rogers told me, they(USMC) would've went with an integral rail had they'd been out, but they were'nt, so they went with the Dawson.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for checking. That sucks btw but oh well.

Looks like I'll stick w/ the X200/300.

I guess you can get them pretty cheap on ebay

1 - 20 of 22 Posts