1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around for a sight set for my edc Kimber, and I have heard good things about Dawson's fiber optic front sight. I see they sell a complete set here: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001B52-1410882585

I haven't heard anything about their rear fixed sights. Can anyone share any pictures of them installed on their gun? Is there a usable ledge on the front for one handed racking?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Dawsons front FO sights are the best out there by far. But I don't like their rears. .125" rears are too tight and slow, and the loose light gap between my sights helps me center them better than tight sights, for better accuracy. I prefer the Warren Sevigney Comp rear with a wider .150" notch, and a .105" front.

But those aren't available in a Kimber cut IIRC. My CDP uses a Heinie .140" wide rear, and a Dawson FO .090" wide front.
http://www.heinie.com/3505rl-heinie-kimber-ledge-rear-all-black/

.090" is a hair too narrow for a 5" Kimber IMO. It's super accurate with that setup, but sometimes the front sight can get lost. Try .100-.105" wide fronts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On dawson's home page, they do claim that they can provide custom notch widths. I wonder if they would charge additionally for that. I like the heinie/10-8 style rear sight style more, i may just go with one of them. Do you have the u-notch, or square?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Sweet. Then have them make a .150" wide notch and combine it with the .105" wide front blade.

I run square notch only. U notches draw my eye to lining up the front dot to the U, while square notches tend to bring my eye to the steel of the front sight.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
I have TroGlo TFO's on my Super Carry Ultra. They also have regular FO sights as well. I have about 12 sets of them and they have performed admirably on all counts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dawson just installed a front sight on this Gold Match II. I have their FO sights on a couple of guns and they make a huge difference from stock black sights. They do protrude perpendicular to the muzzle with sharp corners and could snag. I like the sights but wouldn't put them on a carry gun.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is good to know. I may look into a brass bead sight instead

1 - 7 of 7 Posts