1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

I love my TM to death and in fact, it might kill my right thumb one day. Some months ago, while shooting in a USPSA match, I noticed that my right thumb had lost some meat from it and was bleeding. It was due to those razor sharp slide rear serrations cutting my thumb as it moved back and forth. I had to put it down until further notice.

Since I love it so much and want to use it, I am looking into de-horning the edges. I see SA offer "standard carry bevel" and "Radical carry bevel" through their custom service. My questions to those who have gotten one of those done on their gun are:

How much do they remove from the edges for "standard carry bevel"?
Would it be enough to prevent my thumb from being cut?
Do they require some kind of refinishing on a SS gun after de-horning?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would first ask about your thumb placement before I make a suggestion. Are you right-handed and using a thumb on top of the safety grip, or a lefty with your right thumb being the support hand? I'm trying to picture where it is being cut.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I took mine to a local gunsmith, showed him everywhere that I was irritated with. I thought that was a critical piece. I did have to take it back, because the de-horn wasn't as aggressive as I would have liked and he did the re-work. My issues are with being left-handed and a little different preference. I don't know if you have someone that you trust for the work, but if you do, it may be an option.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
If it's the slide serrations cutting you I don't know that the issue is with the gun. However, the edge of the slide is notoriously sharp on the stainless Springers, I cut myself on mine just during a cleaning! (Only the once and that was enough-out came the stone!)

It doesn't take much to break the edge of the slide and done gently on the stainless it doesn't require any refinishing. I did it with about 6-10 passes of the small sharpening stone that is in a "survival knife" sheath...you can save yourself a bunch of money in postage and custom work if you want to.

Case XX did a very nice job dehorning his but it doesn't take removing that much to just dull that edge so it won't cut you-on mine you have to hold it just right to see that the edge of the slide was broken and it's not even worth a picture.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks. I am right handed and put my right thumb on the safety. I have another 1911 from a different manufacturer and do not have the problem with it as the edges are broken/ rounded very well. I do feel that my thumb is in light contact with the slide but that does not cut my thumb.

My thumb might be placed too closed to the moving slide and could move it a bit away from the slide but I do not want to pay too much attention to that during shooting matches.

I would get gunsmith stones and try to break the edges myself. I have read a thread about it here. If that does not work well, then I would send it out to a gunsmith or SA.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I ran into the same issue with my PX9130LP :bawling: (I wish I still had it)

my BIG A__ fingers and I ride atop the thumb safety was causing malfunctions rubbing the slide.

I stoned my edges of my very sharp grasping grooves and it improved greatly however you need to mask the inner flats so they don't get scratched.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Get some Mother's Wheel Polish to takeout any scratches on the flats.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check your safety. When my SS loaded was new the thumb safety was so sharp that I cut my thumb. A few passes with a file took care of it.

I like the look of the media blasting, might have to do that.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If the inner flats of the grasping grooves are bead blasted. Polishing them away removes the two tone look.
Are you talking about the cocking serrations? I am talking about the flats, not in between the CS.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes....the inner flats of the cocking serrations.

I found out the hard way and had to bead blast the innards of the cocking serrations.
Gotta keep those rags out the cracks SW!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts