1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than David Buehn (who always has an extensive listing of collectible Semi-Automatic Colts) and the dealers listed under "LINKS", are there any others on the Web who carry a good assortment of 1911's?

I'd like to start adding to my collection and have a real bad pre-war 38 super itch right now.

Thanks for the help,

Roger

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Pretty rare gun which you mentioned. I don't have a name but some advice. See and feel the gun and know what you are looking at and for.1929-1942 is pre war years of the 38super. There are probably 30,000 to 32,000 floating around in original good to great condition. Let that be your price objective as much as the gun itself. For instance I have bought many Colt 1911s, 70s and 80s. No A1s but I could get someone down on their price. Thats what the current A1 market is now. An A1 rate adjusters market. Good luck and I'm out. aka Redzone

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redzone:

Thanks for the good advice - yes the pre-war 38 supers are relatively rare - but they are around and can be found in excellent condition. (Its funny how once price starts getting up there, all these "98% originals" come crawling out of the woodwork. Makes you wonder.) I think I'll read-up, handle a bunch of guns and proceed slowly.

Best regards,

Roger

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
There aren't any actual "dealers" because there is no constant supply of them. D. Buehn is an obvious exception, but that's likely because his "collectible" guns are somewhat in question.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks hoser and dsk for the reply. Whats up w/ D Beuhn that his collectible guns are in "question". Given the number of pistols he routinely has for sale, extensive advertising, descriptions and the prices he asks, you would think his stuff ought to be accurately represented/vetted.

I'm doing the reading and looking at as many examples as possible, but at some point, I'm going to have to start trusting someone who sells these things. What's a guy wishing to collect these fine old guns to do?!!?

Thanks again,

Roger

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
D. Buehn has been accused by many people of faking "original condition" 1911s. In other words, there have been cases where a beat-up old .45 changed hands in the collector's circle, then months later there it would be in Buehn's ad, only in like-new condition! Collectors often take note of serial numbers as it helps to document variations of the particular firearm. While there is nothing wrong with rebuiding and refinishing guns, to do so and then pass it off as a mint specimen constitutes fraud.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dsk:

Faking/Fraud are NOT the kinds of things I would have expected. Thanks for the info. Now, any general advice on how one should proceed without a high risk of being ripped-off/scammed?

By the way, outstanding job on building the web sight on the 1911. Its very informative and a GREAT RESOURCE.

Best regards,

Roger

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I would look for a couple things. I saw a colt this weekend, 1918 gun, the pitts in the bushing were a nice blue? there was a ding in the gun, also blue.(asking price was 3K) feed ramps that are untouched but the bolt face shows rounds feeding in the gun is interesting (or wear around the primer on the bolt face) . barrels pitted badly inside but the outside of the gun is perfect? I would just look really hard. Sold a 1932 super a couple month's ago the gun was soooo clean. the back of the slide blended perfect. the blue was deep and blue. that peroid gun is some of the cleanist stuff you will ever find, the 1918 are a hard looking gun in contrast.
hope this helps.
geo ><>

PS
We do some work for a guy that restors some really expensive guns. Henrys and Saa with 3 digit ser #. He is asked to do this gun. he does case color work and rust blue and some amazing work. BUT The guy he does the work for knows what he is paying for. What that guy does with the gun my restoration friend has no controal over. Some of the stuff you KNOW will show up somewhere with a story this came out of an attic in some remote area.
1886 deluxe half mag half oct barrel 99% gun.
The guys that are into it have templets for all the winchester markings pattent dates where what goes and so on. You have to find a guy that has integrity.
good luck.

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
Originally posted by Roger D:
Faking/Fraud are NOT the kinds of things I would have expected. Thanks for the info. Now, any general advice on how one should proceed without a high risk of being ripped-off/scammed?
Arm yourself with the facts. The ones who get burned are almost always the first-time buyers who get giddy the first time they see their dream gun but don't know the subtle details. I remember the first Remington-Rand I bought. I paid full market price for it, and later sold it to someone else for nearly the same amount when I finally found a Colt M1911A1. But looking back now I realize that the wide-spur hammer and parkerized barrel were incorrect, and who knows if the finish was actually original. It means I paid too much for it, and the guy who bought it off me was none the wiser either. Although I obviously didn't get burned, I know now not to shell out that kind of money until I know if what I'm looking at is the real thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts