1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Put another 100 rounds each of FMJ through them today plus shot up my old scratched-up defense ammo (~30 rounds). No malfunctions and got the sights dialed in. Things are finally looking up. I wish I could buy some extractor springs as spares though in case the problem comes back down the road. It's still scary to think that such serious malfunctions were caused by the failure of a .50 cent part.

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The concern I have is that Taurus seems to get their springs from a sub-par source. Extractor springs shouldn't be giving out after only a few hundred rounds. In most pistols they last the life of the firearm. Your light primer strikes could also be due to a weak striker spring... I guess we'll find out when you get yours back.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Well, after being scolded vigorously on another forum for expressing my opinion of Taurus products (based on prior ownership experiences) I felt I needed to take a second look and see if things had improved. Still, the only way I was going to buy a Taurus was through Gun Genie, which provides its own lifetime warranty. Gun Genie has the G2C (black slide) shipped to my FFL for $262 (out the door.) So, I was seriously thinking about it...and in fact, I was just about ready to click the "Accept Offer" button, and then I read this example of Taurus CS and products. I'm not wasting my time or my money with them. I've had excellent luck with S&W and Ruger, and their CS is overwhelmingly regarded as excellent. I'm sticking with them for any future purchases (if I make any more...I've been divesting, instead of acquiring.) I'm sure there are some other gun companies that make good products and have excellent customer service, too, but being retired I just don't have the disposable income to experiment anymore.

While I'm sorry you've had all the problems, thank you for posting your experiences here...it's certainly helped me!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've heard all the horror stories about Taurus,but believe it or not,the two PT1911 pistols that I have are working perfectly.
I learned a lot about 1911's by tinkering around with the first one,and the second one only got all the springs replaced.
They are both 100% reliable,and never skip a beat.

I wish I could say the same for the two RIA garbage pistols that everyone seems to rave about.Pure crap with horrible customer support.My dealer quit carrying their line of products.He said they were worse than Taurus,both in quality and service.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I wish I could say the same for the two RIA garbage pistols that everyone seems to rave about. Pure crap with horrible customer support. My dealer quit carrying their line of products. He said they were worse than Taurus,both in quality and service.
I've had both the Taurus PT1911 and multiple RIA 1911's. Gotta say I prefer RIA 1911 pistols. They don't have the ridiculous firing pin safety and I've never had a part break on a RIA. The MIM extractor on my PT1911 cracked. Luckily I was able to convince Taurus to send me a new one so that I didn't have to send in my pistol for this. I did have to send them my cracked extractor though...

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Both Colt and Kimber learned a long time ago that MIM is the wrong material to make internal extractors out of. Amazing that Taurus still hasn't figured that out yet.

·
Registered
896 Posts
your 24/7 in 45 ACP is gone. you will never see it again. you will be given a PT111 G2 in 9mm and you will like it per Taurus USA.
OMG, the news is even worse than that. The .45 is gone, and my only options for a replacement are a .380 Curve or a $200 compact G2C 9mm.

Never should have sent that .45 back to Taurus...

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
How much did the 24/7 cost you? If Taurus is replacing a model with a different one it should be about the same retail value. From a quick look on Gunbroker it seems the 24/7 is at least $100 more than the G2C.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
The concern I have is that Taurus seems to get their springs from a sub-par source. Extractor springs shouldn't be giving out after only a few hundred rounds. In most pistols they last the life of the firearm. Your light primer strikes could also be due to a weak striker spring... I guess we'll find out when you get yours back.

Noticed that back when I was in the retail end. Especially their revolvers. Springs would be bent , stacked (too long) , weak , etc. I always recommended if a Taurus would be used for self-defense , a QUALITY spring kit be installed and an action job.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Because of the class action case and settlement, Taurus was given a few viable options. NONE of them benefit the customer. If you've got a $400 PT145 stainless and Taurus offers a G2C in black that's selling around 200 bucks, contact the judge in Florida handling the case. He's growing real tired of their BS and how they're handling this. You may be able to get back your original firearm (sans repair) and get it done by a good gunsmith if it's got an actual problem. Taurus will as part of that deal void any future repairs on it but since they only offer a crap replacement, it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I bought two Rock Island 10mm 1911s. One a government size has not had any issues. The Railed Commander, on its first range visit, sheared the ejector off.

At first, RIA sent me a new ejector; but I couldn't remove the broken leg from the frame so Rock Island said "send it back, here's a pre-paid return authorization." Less then two weeks later I received a brand new Railed Commander to replace mine. It had, obviously, a different serial number.

At first I thought they couldn't do that without going through an FFL but after checking the BATFE Website I found that they can ship another gun to the owner, without going through an FFL (unless your state requires it). The replacement pistol has been flawless.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Re: My .45 24/7

I somehow got hold of a nice woman at Taurus customer service and told her I didn't want either of their replacement pistols, just to send me back the original pistol I had sent in. They said they would send me back my .45 with a letter saying it was not fit to fire with any ammo ever. It's been a long time and I'm still waiting for it to come back.

No more Taurus for me, ever.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have rebuilt some of their 1911's for customers and they were all a cobbled mess inside. Absolutely no attention to any detail and very poor craftsmanship.

·
Registered
23,159 Posts
I bought one of the PT1911s when they first came out (at least in my area) back about 2006 for $499 from a LGS. I thought the finish looked crappy. Sort of like you could rub it off with your thumb but I couldn't. Also there is having the serial number on the frame, the slide, and the barrel.

Also I sort of went HMMMMMMM about the lock in the hammer.

Anyway I have never has issues with mine. I let many of my shooty buddies shoot it and lots of them went out and bought one. Almost to a person they had problems with them from various types of jamming to the ambi safeties falling off, etc. And when they dealt with Taurus customer support it was horrible I guess.

Somehow many of my friends blame me for their bad experience so I am very careful who I go shoot my PT1911 with these days when I do rarely shoot it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well welcome to the wonderful world of CQ/CS/warrenty work. What you said about Taurus could easily be what I went through when returning guns to Ruger (Horrible service! NIB three scew came back scrathed to hell, screws chewed up, can't talk about it any more! Too peeved), Kimber (MAY have improved the last few years, not worth my finding out), Henry (so bad it amazed it. They got great guns and TRASH! If trash, throw it away to save time and trouble, they will probably screw it up worse if returned!!),Ithaca (many,many,many years ago, company sold a couple times since), Lee Presision Reloading (always, constantly, universally HORRIBLE! Do your self a favor and buy QUALITY! If it doesn't work do yourself a favor and throw it away! MUCH easier that dealing with the lies, BS, agrevation and costs). I could go on, but blood pressure making be grey out.

Sorry, had to quite and come back a few times and now back again. The PT1911 I bought (close out SS w/gold trim - $450 delivered) great. Had a few other Taurus revolvers, .22s and the like that were quite accurate, so took a chance on the Taurus NGR model. GREAT trigger pull! OK, not as good as the Shooer's Arms 1911 (which has the BEST trigger pull on a 1911 I've ever tried, and Les Beur (yeah, not right, brain locked up) and SA are right down the road, so I've seen a few 1911s. Keep hearing ambi-safety falls off, not yet anyway. Has rail I hate, wanted to try a railed 1911, don't like them. Too hard to get good holsters (have a few for it) and finding a holster that allows laser/light/etc., just ain't gonna happens, so why have the rail?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My G2C experience

Purchased a G2C last fall and have put about 500rds through it without problems. Cleaned the pistol put it back into the safe since 9mm ammo is scarce. Went back to the range just the other day and put another 150rds through it and this time had trouble.

First twenty four rds. no problem, after that every 5th rd I had a FTE and had to eject the mag and cycle the slide a couple times to clear. I reinsert the same mag again without touching anything and finish emptying without problems.

I continued to have the same problem through the rest of the session. I didn't have a spare mag with me so I couldn't isolate the problem. I want to do some more testing to try and pinpoint the problem.

I was really happy with the gun up until the problems started. And for me the jury is still out until I can test some more. I definitely wouldn't count on it to save my life right now, it's not 100% reliable.

By comparison I have a Sig P6 which I bought used. I've put about 500rds through it 100% reliable not a single issue.

Anyway I'll post results after more testing.

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It sounds like you're having the same problem I did, with the case not extracting from the chamber. With both of my pistols it was a weak extractor spring. It's easy enough to replace, but with Taurus not selling parts separately you're stuck having to send it in for a lousy $1.50 spring.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A guy i know just bought a new S&W revolver, after a cylinder full of ammo, "it started dragging on the rear. Even unloaded it was dragging in the rear and scrapping the rear all up." Typical S&W quality if you ask me.

Back when Dirty Harry was big, a dealer friend had to order about $2000 worth of assorted S&W junk in order to get a M-29 .44 Mag (Harry used a .41 Mag in the movie of course) and to quote him, he "put two cylinder fulls through it, pulled the side plate off and poured out the broken parts!" Massad Ayoob stated in print that he liked the S&W 29 so much he bought three, one to shoot, one coming back from S&W, and one going to S&W.

The guy mentioned above also bought a Taurus after the S&W went typical, "and so far it has been perfect, unlike his last two S&Ws" that he bought recently.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts