1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howard Dean is now on the record as opposing any assault weapons ban, saying that the government should not restrict citizen's second amendment rights. Followed by, I was governor of the only state that has no state firearms laws.

Apparently the democrats are trying to make a case against Dean for his pro-gun stance. I just know I'm voting for an educated doctor who supports the second amendment.

George W has been a HUGE disappointment and has even said he will sign a renewal of the AWB. Too many lies from GWB for me.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
angus macfuff said:
I just know I'm voting for an educated doctor who supports the second amendment.
Who's that? Dean? He doesn't support the Second Ammendment. Being uninvolved (calling it a state issue) and support are very different.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I am with you SSR, jsut because Dean comes out a little differnt from past demos, is not a chance to jump on his bandwagon.

You are playing into his hands, he is working the crowd, and buying his retoric.

Bush supports the 2dn ad. HE says somethings that he know he will never have to follow through on, Dean calls firearms a "state" issue, which it clearly is NOT. It is a federal issue, it is on the Bill of Rights. IS FREE SPEACH A STATE ISSUE? Can I bash Tom Dashele in Washington, but not in New York? well why not? Its the FIRST ADMENDMENT?

MAke sure you are vothing for who you vote for for the right reasons, not becasue you see relief.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why the double post? OK, he's the double reply. From Dean's website...

DEAN CRITICIZES GOP PLANS TO LET ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN EXPIRE
Wednesday May 14, 2003
By: Communications Office

Calls on President Bush to "Keep His Word" (May 14, 2003)

BURLINGTON, VT--In the wake of an announcement by Congressional Republicans that they plan to allow the federal ban on assault weapons to expire, presidential candidate Governor Howard Dean (D-VT) today called on President Bush to "keep his word" and fight to reauthorize the ban on deadly semi-automatic weapons. Dean says there is no legitimate sporting purpose for assault weapons.

"Sportsmen know they don't need an Uzi to hunt deer," said Dean. "These weapons are not favored by sportsmen. They are favored by criminals and terrorists, and we need to keep them off our streets."

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Here is what it says on Dean's website, copied and pasted from his website:

I believe the federal gun laws we have -- like the Brady Bill -- are important, and I would veto any attempt to repeal or gut them. The Assault Weapons Ban expires next year, and it should be renewed.

After that, I would let the states decide for themselves what, if any, additional gun safety laws they want.

http://www.deanforamerica.com/site/PageServer?pagename=policy_statement_civilrights_sensiblegunlaws

Sounds like just another democrat to me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is a great post placa105. I hope people on this board know not to be taken in by candidates saying anything just to get elected.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dean appears to be quite clever. He's now playing down the AWB stuff, since he won't have a chance to influence it's renewal anyway. He has realized that the gun control issue has probably not won a single vote for democrats over the last ten years, and has undoubtedly lost them many thousands of votes.

But given his earlier statements, there is no doubt about his trustworthyness (or lack thereof). There is just something "off" about this guy...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Dean also supports the AW ban, if you read his website.

http://www.deanforamerica.com/

Go to "On the Issues", then "civil rights and justice", then "sensible gun laws". He says right there that he is for the Brady Bill, the AW ban, and whatever laws any state wants to pass.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Angus

Do you have a link to a story where Dean says he opposes the assualt weapons ban? All the evidence presented here seems to point to the contrary. Where did you get your information from?

·
Registered
983 Posts
In analyzing gun control, you have to really think about what a candidate can do, and would do.

Does anyone here buy imported rifles? Remember the arbitrary import bans? Remember the ban on barrels and receivers the day Gore was given the Democratic nomination for President? Remember the NICS shutdown on the weekend of the million mom march?

If two white people are shot, and it makes national news, a Democrat will call for federal gun laws, and squeeze us anywhere he can arbitrarily (as in import procedures of ATF, or maybe squeezing FFLs out of business). Anyone see any of this happening under Bush?

Anyone remember the 9/11 attacks? Who was the biggest threat to national security during Klint's watch? Gun nuts, home schoolers, southern baptists. . . . I still remember Democrats calling for more gun control in response to 9/11, and you can bet there'd be a squeeze under a Democratic administration. Heck, they were trying to use 9/11 to repeal any sembleance of privacy on NICS checks, and tried to get hunting season banned in several states (people running around with guns hides terrorists). A "temporary emergency" import ban of ammo would not have been a hard sell for a president who wanted to go the extra distance to shaft gunowners.

I don't believe Bush's TALK on guns, and I don't believe Dean's TALK on guns. I believe ACTIONS, not every day; but on the day of a mass shooting. It would not have been hard for Bush to get some gun control; but he didn't even whimper about it.

I question Dean on guns. . . . that a marxist will tell me I don't have a right to my own property. . . . oh, except guns.

Whether it's knowing who his core support is or genuine belief, Bush is, effectively, pro-gun. Someone can shoot up a school and he won't go on TV calling gun owners murderers. I don't consider Dean a man of principle - he'll go with the wind - he's pro-gun because he wants southern pickup truck owners and to win them over to professional voting - fine. But his core support wouldn't be so kind if he didn't push for some "sensible gun control" in response to an unrelated terrorist attack.

The AWB going away is not contingent on Bush opposing it. It is contingent on Bush not leaning on Delay and another Republican or two on the committee. Somehow, I don't see Bush running a full page ad bullying Delay into supporting the AWB, or going on TV and doing same. Do you?

·
Registered
940 Posts
George W has been a HUGE disappointment and has even said he will sign a renewal of the AWB. Too many lies from GWB for me.
A lie would be saying that Dean is pro-gun or opposes the AWB. What Bush did was cite an intelligence report that the Brits developed and which they still stick to. Misinformation versus deliberate falsehood.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I believe it will take a couple more election cycles to finally drill into the national Democrat party that publicly slamming gun owners is a big mistake. I'll never forget during the AWB hearings in '94, either Biden or Schumer sitting there stating that the only people who own "assault weapons" are either criminals or future criminals. Well, I owned one then and, ten years later, I have barely broken any highway speed laws - much less any other criminal activity and my "assault rifle" inventory has grown some in that time.

I really don't think that the Republican party is quite solidly pro RKBA but they do realize the political advantage of taking a pro position and leave it alone. From my perspective, the results are what matters and, for now, the Republicans are generally delivering those results.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dean obviously learned a lot from Clinton. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
angus macfuff said:
Howard Dean is now on the record as opposing any assault weapons ban, saying that the government should not restrict citizen's second amendment rights. Followed by, I was governor of the only state that has no state firearms laws.

Apparently the democrats are trying to make a case against Dean for his pro-gun stance. I just know I'm voting for an educated doctor who supports the second amendment.
That makes two of us.

angus macfuff said:
AMEN. I reached the too-many-lies threshold about 9 months ago when they were shoveling all the BS about why we had to stampede into this war. Glad to welcome another convert over to the sanity side.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Re: Re: Dean opposes AWB

bountyhunter said:
That makes two of us.

If you think you're supporting someone who supports second ammendment individual rights, you better go to his web site and read what he really stands for. He is for the Bady bill, the AW ban and any restrictive laws any state wishes to pass. He is definitely not someone who will stand up and support second ammendment rights.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
bountyhunter said:
I'll bet he learned how to send a Bush running back to Texas with his tail between his legs as a one-term loser.
How much would you be willing to bet? I bet if Dean even gets the nomination (which is doubtful because even the people in the Democrat party know hes a left wing lunatic) that he gets his ass handed to him and wins only a very few states. I bet it will be a vicious beat down in the McGovern/Mondale tradition. In fact its what has happened everytime an honest Democrat (in other words extremely left wing) has run for president.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It is unfortunate that some small number of folks in this country, even several who participate on this forum, only have the capability to watch one TV channel news program (Peter Jennings), read one news paper (The New York Times), be unable to communicate with anyone who is currently participating in the efforts in Iraq, and therefore generally remain unable to reap the benefits of being truthfully informed.

I know, just know that any person who truely votes freedom first could not possibly even consider Mr. Dean. I remind you of Pro RKBA Senator Al Gore, who did a prompt 180, and then lost his own state in the election.

Vote Freedom First!
Join the NRA!

Tapper out...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
angus macfuff said:
Since Bush has been there , there has been no more substantial talk about increasing gun control. And we have an Attorney General and administration which has changed the official stance on the collective vs. individual right. I'd say that's good. What, you wish we would have gotten Gore?

I say we need to look at true actions, not phony news cast sound bites.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.