1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching ole Charles Bronson take care of some thugs tonight. I noticed the big pistol he had. If anyone saw or remembers what kind of pistol was that let me know . I thought he said the caliber was a 458 rifle cartridge necked down for a pistol. I wasnt sure.
I love the scene where he is reloading. There or other threads going around about stars being anti. At least Bronson wasnt a anti. I read somewhere when he was still alive he was an avid gun owner.

·
Administrator
73,786 Posts
The original movie wasn't too bad, but the sequels were ridiculously over the top. I mean, in the original he was given a nickel-plated .32 revolver that he used to shoot at least a half-dozen bad guys (and drop each one dead with just one shot, how's that for .32 stopping power). In the sequels he ended up playing with weapons that would make Rambo jealous (LAWS, anyone?)! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Dammit now I want one.... I guess my Gold plated DE .50 will have to wait....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Was it DW2 or 3 where the guy had the slide action zip-shotgun? I wonder how many pieces of 1/2" schedule 40 steel pipe were burst due to attempts at home-making one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You must have missed some of the movie because his character made reference to the Wildey name several times.

They were cool guns, and you can still find them fairly easily... but EXPENSIVE to shoot because of the ammo, and expensive to maintain... they were finicky pistols.

·
Registered
951 Posts
YA Death Wish 3 is a favorite here, I love the Wildeys, thought it was a .45 Win Mag, either way one helluva gun. My buddy has one, I want one too. The Wildey is a gas operated system, the .45 Wim Mag seems very mild in it, Humongus gun, no one hand holds on it I will say. The model Charlie used in the movie is the 10" Survivor. Look on Gunbroker there are quite a few if you have about $1400.00. Actually I have been seriously thinking about one for some time. Hmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In the movie, Bronson picks up the package from the Post Office and opens it in his apartment. They show the top of the presentation box as the brown paper comes off and there is an engraved brass plate on the top of the box. It clearly says ".475 Wildey Magnum"

Wildey is still in business and making 4 versions of the pistol.

They are available in .45 Win Mag, .45 Wildey Mag, .475 Wildey Mag and .44 AMP (Auto Mag Pistol).

The link I listed in my previous post is the manufacturers' website. All the configurations and MSRP's are there too.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Correct on the calibers. I still want one for my safe.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
"Its like killing roaches: You've got to kill them all. Otherwise, what's the point. "

Gotta love that line!:rock:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was it DW2 or 3 where the guy had the slide action zip-shotgun? I wonder how many pieces of 1/2" schedule 40 steel pipe were burst due to attempts at home-making one.
It was 3!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The Wildey feels like a 2x4. And the corners are "barely" rounded where the web of your hand meets the grip. I've shot one. I know. It's not fun.

Couple that with the frame mounted safety that you need to push UP to fire.

No thanks!

Could someone with money PLEASE resurrect the .44 Automag????

Or at least the Grizzly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow. I watched most of that show last night on AMC. I assumed it was a made up name and a prop gun. Looked like a Hollywood-ized Automag to me.

I figured that "Wildy" was short for wildebeast or something like that.

It did have a rather impressive magazine capacity, given the number of BG's he was dropping without reloading. Their body armor was very advanced too. Rounds bounced right off of it without transferring any shock whatsoever to the wearer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That movie is classic. I love it when he's talking about his friend Wildey coming to help them out and they're expecting a person and he pulls that hand cannon out.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Did he die of cancer or was it a heart attack? He will be missed. As far as I know he was a real gun lover and a 2nd Ammendment supporter.
You know I think when the first Death Wish movie was made the crime really was as bad as the movie portraid in that location. Seems to me in the movie he was trying to show how defenceless the people in those city's really were..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts