1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time for my first Kimber (and any 1911 for that matter) purchase is approaching. however i still cannot decide what to get. the Eclipse looks nice but kinda out of my price range. What i'm thinking i'm going to get right now is a Custom Royal. i've never seen one so could all of you give me some info on it? how does the blued finish look? does it really look that much nicer than the regular black finish on the standard Custom Classic? also how durable is the blued finish? i've heard several of you all mention the finish on parts of your Eclipses is wearing of quickly. i want the finish to last at least a respectable amount of time on the 1911 i'm about to purchase. also how much is the Royal going to cost me and how much more is the Eclipse than the Royal? i might just get the Custom Stainless if the finish either doesn't look that impressive or isn't durable at all according to all of your recommendations. also i'm going to put an ambi safety on the gun i get and possibly in the future checker the front strap. will this bring the cost of the Royal so close to that of the Eclipse that i should just get the Eclipse? thanks in advance for all help any of you can offer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My one and only Kimber is a full-sized stainless. I have always been partial to stainless due to their appearance and durability. I put the wood grips that come on the Royal on my stainless, replacing the black rubber standard grips. It has about 9,000 rounds through it.
Find a Kimber Master Dealer to see and handle the guns. Definitely shop around. Here in Las Vegas there was as much as a $100 price difference among a number of gun stores. Your town/area will likely be the same. That price variance could "pay" for the extra features you want. Unless you are a lefty I would pass on an ambi safety.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went shooting at the range and while i was there i looked at some 1911s. they had a Custom Eclipse there for $990, does that sound like a decent price? they didn't have the Custom Royal but he told me it would be about $790, how's that price? i liked the Eclipse but didn't immediately fall in love with it. it has such a modern look to it (that's the best way i can describe how it looked to me) and i would kind of like a more traditional blued 1911. so right now i'm leaning towards the Royal if $790 is a decent price. oh BTW i am a lefty so i'll need an ambi safety on my 1911 whether it comes with it or i get it installed afterwards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Royal is a beautiful gun. It is one of the best blued pistols still made today. I usually go with stainless because I shoot alot and holster wear on bluing drives me crazy. They sure do look pretty when they are new. $790 is a good price for a Royal. I bet you can talk him down to $750.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You can find Royals for $720

1 - 5 of 5 Posts