1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one to get?

Colt Defender - supposedly one of the most reliable sub compact 1911's. Lightweight, it's a Colt.

Dan Wesson CBOB - Stainless, Commander size. Extra round, bobtail, super cool. Series 70 style trigger.

Isn't much difference in cost, so that is out. Both are very concealable. Dan Wesson is a little extra fire power. Could we consider the DW possibly more reliable since it is a commander size firearm? Durability?

TM

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'll leave my opinion out of it but I'll tell you that my daily carry is a DW cbob and I have several other guns I could choose from.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
our local gunstore got 2 Colt Defenders on sale for 760$/each. According to the sales clerk(owns one himself), the Defender is quite particular in the type of ammos/mags used. It took him about 500 rds initially to break it in reliability wise.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
count me in the DW CBob crowd....

...mine is a joy to shoot. Hang around this forum long enough and you'll see more than one of my posts going on about how great they are.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
CBOB over Defender, mostly for the longer slide stroke.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, my kind of feelings too. CBOB over the Defender. Not knocking it since I have read so many good things about them, but I just think the CBOB is a little more original 1911 design and simpler with the 4" barrel. I just wanted to see if everyone agreed with me.

The Defenders are suite. I shot a friend of mine's and it worked very well. My issue was this was a very "custom" firearm from the recoil setup to the bull barrel. I keep things a very long time, and since manufacturers change designs overnight I wanted something a little more standard. Other than the bobtail, the CBOB seems to be a pretty standard Commander type 1911.

TM

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a CBOB and would choose one of those but even better than that is a lightweight Commander, such as the Smith & Wesson PD or the Colt lightweight Commander and have it Bobtailed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Both good guns but slightly apples and oranges. Have you carried an all stainless commander sized gun for extended periods of time before? It weighs substantially more than a three inch alloy 1911. Thought it was worth mentioning. You will like both guns for sure. Checking lightweight commanders like the Colt XSE is a good suggestion prior to your decision

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have both a DW CBOB and 3" Kimber Ultra CDP II. And, based on my experience, reliability with either is a non-issue as neither has failed to fire with various brands of ball and HP ammo. And, up to about 15 yds one is as accurate as the other. I'm not sure how they'd compare at 25 yds as I haven't tried them both on the same day at that distance. Although individually they're both very accurate at that range. I really think they'd compare favorably with the DW having a slight edge at ranges over 20 yds. Both are just superb guns, but if I had to just choose one it would likely be the DW. It is a tremendous value in a 1911. :cool::cool:

Tom

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had a Defender several years ago and it was a fine gun. It just did not carry any easier than a Commander sized gun for me.

The CBOB is my current duty gun and I do not see it going anywhere for a long, long time.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The Defender and any Commander size 1911 have the same slide stroke - 1.5 inches. I have measured it myself.
That is interesting, and I did not know that.

I will now turncoat, and say "Defender". :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I would go with the DW CBOB. I can tell you it has a very low profile
and is a lot of gun for the money. You also have the option of getting
it in 10mm if you like. I carry mine, it's a great gun.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts