1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wilson/Baer or custom?

I'm sure some of you know my story. Come January 1, 2002. I will have about $2k to blow (yes, with my wife's permission) on whatever I want, and I want a 1911. Since this is a once-in-a-lifetime event, I'm not going to waste it on a plain ol' pistol.

I started out looking at Kimber CDPs, but disliked the MIM issue. I was also way under budget. So I started looking at Wilson and Baer. A friend suggested I go to Novak's and see about customizing. Roughly the same price range, but a much longer wait. Then the dealer I was gonna buy from said to try out this other place.......etc., etc.

Anyway, what would YOU get in a 1911 if you had $1,800 (the rest is going to a holster and belt. The ammo is under a separate budget!
)to blow?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have one TRS, and in the process of saving enough to buy another one as a spare. Guess I'd lean toward the TRS. Don't know that you can lose with either though.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think you should send me the money, and I'll send you a large supply of rocks suitable for throwing.

(Then I'll buy a Gunsite 1911.)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, the Baer I'm looking at is the Custom Carry. Why is the TRS (Thunder Ranch Special I assume?) so popular? Why it over Wilson's Protector, or a custom gun?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm pretty sure your two grand would buy a lot of pistol from Heinie or Burns. Of course there is the downside of a wait to get one...

lesthemess

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd go Baer also. I have a concept III, blue slide over a stainless frame. Adjustable night sights and a bevel treatment. I think they call it the tactical carry treatment. I love the gun

I don't own the TRS but all their guns appear to first class. My next one will probably be the stinger model or one on the new style colts. Decisions decisions!!

D

·
0 Posts
AllenTC2,

You won't go wrong with either a Wilson or Les Baer. But, a third choice to consider is the Ed Brown Kobra.

1. Wilson-well made, accurate, reliable, dehorned, all the goodies (gun bag, etc.) you'll end up getting anyway.

2. Les Baer-well made, accurate, reliable. Solid and accurate. For less than $1,800, I think you'll have more choices to select from with the Baer line.

3. Ed Brown Kobra-if these are built with the same level of quality workmanship(and I'd be surprised if they weren't) as the Classic Custom and Limited models, they are an excellent buy. I don't know why the Brown line is considered "semi-custom." The workmanship on the Brown 45's is outstanding. Many "custom" smiths use Brown parts. And, if someone makes a better slide to frame fit, I'd like to meet him.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ed Brown Custum 1911's?

I have just started hearing of these, they look fantastic and the "Bobtail" seems to make a lot of sense.
A major concern with buying any semi-obscure firearm is the stability of the company and customer service.
I assume Colt and Springfield will be around when/if something goes wrong with my 1911.

Has anyone else have information to share on these?

------------------
"NULLUM VINUM FLACCIDUM"

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'd find a shooter grade series 70 or earlier and send it and 1000 to my favorite smithy to get it "right"...Or...

I'd just get a new SA or Kimber or Colt and buy lots of accessories and loading components and after I'd shot 2000 rds and broken the pistol in...I'd go to Thunder Ranch and have me some fun!!!
...Or Gunsite or any of the "good" schools to learn and practice! Oh yeah...I'd get a couple or three Alessi holsters and mag carriers...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
"Since this is a once-in-a-lifetime event, I'm not going to waste it on a plain ol' pistol...... So I started looking at Wilson and Baer. A friend suggested I go to Novak's and see about customizing. Roughly the same price range, but a much longer wait."

Because this is a gun of a lifetime I would suggest you look and think long and decide exactly what you want. If it If a Baer or Wilson are what you decide that you want then buy the one that you are most impressed with. If on the other hand neither of them is wuite it, I would not let the longer wait of a good custom shop stop you. In the long run a several month wait will not be a big issue, regretting not getting what you wanted for that amouynt of money simply because it would take longer might be. Whatever you choose I would try and get the opportunity to handle and see if not shoot examples of the different guns and or custom shops' work you are interested in. I think in this situation making the decision based upon immedieate availability would be a mistake.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dennis, I think it's hard to find a new Ed Brown Cobra for $1,800. The ones I saw at a gun show last weekend ran around $2,600. They were nice.

There are the usual suspects in that price range--Baer, Wilson and a gun that gets overlooked, the Nowlin. Nowlin has a short lead time (about 3 weeks the last I heard) and it's a great gun. I saw one a while ago and was very impressed. Dawson Precision also makes a single stack but I'm not sure what their lead time is. Rock River is another possibility if you can wait a year.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those of you who think I'm rushing it, I've been researching, "window shopping", pestering dealers, etc., since June. Time is a major issue for me, as I am practically salivating over the 2001 Wilson catalog even now! I'm not sure how much longer I can resist!

One day down the road, I may be able to wait to, dare I say it, grab a Heinie, but that will be awhile (maybe I exaggerated when I said "once-in-a-lifetime").

Wilson and Baer are still the contenders. I checked out Gunsite, and I'll look at Nowlin, but I am impressed with Wilson's customer service. I have been e-mailing them daily, and getting prompt replies. Baer's customer service is a little lacking, but they obviously have a strong, supportive customer base, indicating a quality product.

Ed Brown is a contender (and I think they are a well-established, stable company) but they are a little pricey, and I'm unsure if I'd like the bob-tail grip. Call me nostalgic, but it doesn't look like a .45!

Anyway, thanks for the input! Keep it comin'!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts