1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks,
Need some help. I'm fairly new at 1911's, and am considering ordering a Springfield.

Need advice on whether to get basic Parkerized loaded (local shop selling for $719) or TRP in Armory-Kote (local shop quoted $1199).

Other than the finish and mags with pads, what are the important differences between the two, and how do those prices sound?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
Steve.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Steve,

I also live in the land of lost wages. What shop gave you the quote? Just curious. You can e-mail off line if you want.

Tim

·
Registered
366 Posts
Steve,
American Shooter Supply has the HIGHEST prices in town!!!! The two dealers you should call/visit are The Gun Store on Trop and Discount Firearms on Boulder Highway. Regarding 1911s, The Gun Store leans towards Springfield and Discount Firearms prefers Kimbers. I have dealt with both. They are both honest & reliable merchants. I would suggest you visit both and handle both brands.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discount has that Springfield with the light rail ( TRP ???) if you look close you can still see the drool marks on the slide from when I was there last week !
While you guys are out price shopping sheck out Bills Buy N Sell on Fremont near Maryland. They have some good prices as well.
check out Desert Sportsman for a submachine gun match this Sunday.

be safe...be alert...be armed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My advice would be to buy the best 1911 you can afford. I have taken the cheaper way out before and kept thinking of the one I should have bought. Hope this helps.

------------------

·
Registered
58 Posts
Chico,

With all due respect, you aren't in cahoots with the Gun Store are you?
The price difference between them and Discount is pretty substantial. I've done business with the Gun Store too, but come on! I mean if you really want to compare prices, I know of a dealer in a county very close to us that will beat our local store prices hands down.

I do agree though that American Shooter's prices are steep.

Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim C (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice so far, folks.

I would also like opinions on whether the TRP has enough extra features and value to justify spending another $4 or 5 hundred.

I can afford either, but would like to knoww if it's worth it.

Steve.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What is the name of that dealer in a county very close to us? I may feel like that TV commercial, "You pay too much!" I am in cahoots with who ever offers the lowest price for the same article or offers the most value. I'll drive to Pahrump for a hundred dollars. $20, now you are talking gas money & time.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sorry to be off topic, but I see where this is heading.

I'm going to be in Vegas tomorrow through Monday. Are there any cool shops near the strip I can check out. I'm not much of gambler, but I can't help going to this, it's for a bachelor party.

Just so I don't get tossed for being off topic. I'd spend the extra money for the TRP, I bought my loaded a couple months ago, and i'm thinking of sending it back for the TRP conversion. I would have saved $100+ by getting the TRP in the first place. Not to mention, Springfield doesn't give you the nice mag well on the conversion (go figure)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Shops with on-site ranges include:
American Shooters Supply
The Gun Store
Discount Firearms
Nevada Pistol Academy (operated by Front Sight)

The Gun Store is the closest (if you are taking a cab) & along with Discount Firearms the most reasonably priced.

NPA is the most expensive.

American Shooters has the biggest & longest range, accomodating rifles.

All 4 offer machine gun rental.

As long as I am in the recommendation mode, Cheetahs is the most reasonably priced Gentlemens Club for bachelor party type activities. IMO the others are not any better & not worth twice the price.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ive finally trashed the idea of buying a base gun and dumping a bunch of money into it making it a custom. In theory its cheaper to build a high quality 1911 this way. However, after doing this several times, the Ed Browns/Wilsons/Baers have started looking not so expensive.

Get the TRP, no question. Its the gun that Ive been trying to make out of my base Springfields and Kimbers for the last 2 yrs. $1199 isnt bad. Im not comparing it to a Brown, Wilson, or a Baer, but I think its the nicest 1911 Ive seen in its price range. Ive seen them slightly cheaper and slightly more expensive than that. The only thing I can even think of doing to the gun is to have my smith do a complete trigger job on it, replacing the sear and hammer with some tool steel parts. Everything else is right.

Out of the box, without cleaning, I ran over 500 rds of hollowpoints and ball through it with no failures.

Ive got a slightly tricked out Kimber Classic Custom. It has a Ed Brown 1 piece FLGR, ambi-safety, big button mag release, and bushing. If I added a S&A magwell and put a set of night sites on it it would bring the total invested price of the Kimber up to par with what I paid for my TRP. The TRP would still be the better pistol of the two. The action of the slide on the TRP is considerably tighter and smoother than my trick kimber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts