1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the preferred method is for decocking a Kimber? I'm assuming they don't have an actual decocking lever.

Obviously decocking the hammer itself is a no-no. So what's the procedure? Drop the mag, rack the slide to eject the chambered round and then dry-fire? Any dangers associated with this?

· Registered
44 Posts
I just drop the mag and fire the round in the chamber... works for me

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, right, but let's assume you're in a situation where you really can't do this? Let's say you fire 2 rounds at an intruder in your house and he runs off. Now you've got 5 rounds left and a cocked hammer. You don't want to leave a cocked-and-locked 45 laying around, no? You can't just run into the backyard and fire the last round.

· Registered
389 Posts
Kayser,
With the thumb safety ON it is impossible to rack the slide. The proper clearing method is as follows:
1) Point gun in a safe direction
2) Drop magazine
3) Pull slide fully to the rear ejecting chambered round.
4) Pull slide to rear again and inspect chamber and ride the slide forward.
5) Once determined empty, pull trigger.

Decocking is not an option on a 1911 and you DO NOT want to lower the hammer on a live round.------------------

[This message has been edited by oldcolt (edited 10-21-2001).]

· Registered
25 Posts
Kayser,
"You don't want to leave a cocked-and-locked 45 laying around, no?"
You never leave a firearm "just laying around". But cocked and locked is the way the 1911 was designed to be used.
BTW, Bill Wilson in his book on the combat auto recommends holding the trigger to the rear when you drop the slide on an empty chamber to protect your hammer hooks and sear angles. Sean

· Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by Kayser:
Let's say you fire 2 rounds at an intruder in your house and he runs off. Now you've got 5 rounds left and a cocked hammer.
By my count you should have 7 rounds left, if you top off the magazine after first chambering a round. Most full size 1911s are 8+1. Now you have discharged 2 rounds in your home in self defense. If you feel you must, reengage the saftey and consider putting a fresh magazine in. The bad guys won't tell you the fight is over. Don't expect them to yell "TIME OUT!" once shots are fired. You certainly shouldn't clear your weapon if you have just had to defend yourself. Otherwise, oldcolt is spot on on the clearance procecure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.