1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I cock the hammer on my 1911, the grip safety must be depressed to return the hammer to an uncocked position. If I hold the hammer down PAST the cocked position, so that it is touching the top of the grip safety, and pull and hold the trigger, I can decock the hammer without pressing in the grip safety.

Is this normal? I have never tried it before, so I was a bit surprised that it bypassed the safety like that. Does my 1911 have a safety issue? I'd appreciate any advice I can get. It is a stock RIA full size.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There's nothing wrong with your 1911. When you do as you described you are pushing down on the gripsafety thus engaging it and releasing the hammer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am so stupid.:eek: Yep, that's it, my grip safety only has to move slightly to work, and I didn't notice the movement. I think my sear spring is not tuned correctly, as the grip safety has a lot of slop.

Thanks.:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to worry marvl, the slide wasn't on at the time! :biglaugh: I do appreciate your concern, though.

I DO think the gun is unsafe, as the grip safety requires only the slightest pressure to release the safety. Like I said, the hammer was touching the safety, but since the movement was so slight, I did not believe I had released the safety.

Is there a special or preferred technique to properly adjust the sear spring? Or do you just "bend it"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think your pistol is unsafe. You could do this on gov't issue 1911A1s when the Army still issued them.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
No offense meant, but the 1911 is not meant to be"decocked". This is a single action weapon, and is meant to be carried in condition one--cocked and locked as there is no provision for DA use. Carrying any other way is slow and ineffective.

As for safety of your particular blaster, its not a problem. I can do the same thing with a new Kimber/SA/Colt, etc. When you over cock the hammer and pull the trigger; you are slipping the grip safety. I don't advise doing this since it can cause where on the half cock notch or sear. Just drop the hammer on an empty chamber or leave it in C1.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
abnranger- None taken. I understand you are not supposed to do this, that is why it came as a surprise to me when I did do it. As I stated, the slide was off, as I had just re-assembled the pistol, and I will not dry fire the pistol without a slide on it, that causes wear/damage too, right?

I bent the sear spring a little, and now the grip safety has little to no slop to it, and now I can see that I am moving the grip safety when I preform that similar action. I will not continue to do this as per your recommendations.

Thanks for all your input!

P.S. My favorite pistol platform = 1911. Nothing comes close now.

:rock:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Agrippa said:
I am so stupid.:eek: Yep, that's it, my grip safety only has to move slightly to work, and I didn't notice the movement. I think my sear spring is not tuned correctly, as the grip safety has a lot of slop.

Thanks.:)
If it makes you feel better I do the same stuff all the time. For some reason I try to make up stuff thats wrong with my guns, then try to fix it and then realize it was never broke.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greg1911 said:
If it makes you feel better I do the same stuff all the time. For some reason I try to make up stuff thats wrong with my guns, then try to fix it and then realize it was never broke.
Thanks, but my cheeks still burn.:) The movement was small, less than 1/32", but I still should've looked closer. It is great now, I measure just over 3/32 of movement, and it feels much more positive. Nothing was "wrong" but now it feels a lot more "right".:D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Agrippa, yes dry firing the pistol without the slide on is a bad thing. It could cause the hammer strut(right under the spur or oval) to break.

The leaf spring can be bent to: give better activation/deactivatio n of the grip safety.
: give more sear engagement(left most) if you have problems with hammer follow
: give more resistance to the trigger bow-take up a tad of slack/overtravelm, reduces trigger bounce

You are doing good, the 1911 is a time tested and nearly idiot proof system. Amazing though, folks still screw it up; gotta have a lighter faster slide, ultra light trigger pull, etc, and sacrifice the reliability of the system-gotts shoot xyz bullets etc.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
abnranger said:
Agrippa, yes dry firing the pistol without the slide on is a bad thing. It could cause the hammer strut(right under the spur or oval) to break.

How can this cause the hammer strut to break?

What will break, is the hammer itself, as it crashes into ledge of the frame. The hammer is not designed to impact in this area, and you will ultimately break your hammer, and/or deform your frame.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
sorry I meant the actual strut on the hammer, below the spur/oval. yes this is part of the hammer, the strut runs in the mainspring; sue me for not using totally correct verbage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts