1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a number of searches here and on other boards looking for advice on selecting the best suited frame assembly for a 22 conversion. Looks like a number of people have considered getting a dedicated lower.

I have a Ceiner Platinum unit and want to find a nice cheap lower complete with all parts and a good trigger pull. Some options that seem interesting are:

CDNN is selling a Griffon for $349, while not a 5" gun, I believe the frame will fit gov't size conversion and mags. This is expensive though, I wish I could stay around $200 for a total project cost of $450.

The Dealer Warehouse in Modesto, CA supposedly selling a gov't type frame assembly for $195. Does anyone know what this is all about, and if they still have it?

Perhaps a used gun? Ideally, I'd like to stay away from used guns or buying parts. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was looking at just such a project for a Ciener unit I had. You may want to look at an Essex frame which averages around $150.00 It is a cast unit but since it will be dedicated for .22 rimfire, this is a non issue.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My "dedicated" lower for my Colt .22 Conversion Unit is a refinished 1942 Colt USGI frame. Only mods are a lighter mainspring and Videcki aluminum trigger...

Also have a Colt Series 70 .45ACP upper for it as well..

The .22 Conversion Unit spends the most time on this frame, though.

:cool:

NAA.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
These look great. An Essex frame also sounds like a good idea, although my primary choice would still be an assembled lower for around $200.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I still think your best choice ($) would be a used 1911, unless you should stumble upon a complete lower somewhere. Most any of them would work just fine...even a Sistema or one of those Chinese 1911's...can't think of the name right now. About the only one I'd shy away from is the Rock Island, or any of those ones built in someone's backyard in the Philippines. Trying to change parts doesn't always work because of the pin hole locations.
BTW, that Essex idea isn't all that bad, either. Nothing wrong with the current production frames and if you can get one for 150, the trigger group, mainspring housing assembly and grip/thumb safties plus slide stop would probably put you into it for 'around' 250 if you shop carefully for parts.

Bob

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems I have an opportunity to pick up a NIB Charles Daly complete lower (beavertail, extended ambi, etc.) for around $200, probably going to be $250 with FFL/shipping charges. What do you think, good deal, no? Should I worry about the quality, etc?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If it's one of the Daly's that are made in the Philippines, I'd pass. You may get lucky and have everything built to SAAMI specs, but you may not. I've found that the internals need to be fit to the particular frame, and even then the aftermarkets may not fit. I'm sure there are lots of guys who have had good luck with them, but I wouldn't have one if I was going to do any customizing.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts