1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Ruger SP101 with a nice set of Hogue wood grips I carry IWB. The grips fit my hand better than the smaller boot ones that came with it but the increased size means it prints more. I'm sure others with snubs and more comfortable grips have this issue so this isn't SP specific and would like to hear from the S&W, Colt and other crowds too.

For this gun the only IWB holster I have for it is a Bianchi clip on and it rides a bit high. If I go without the holster and have it deeper in the pants held by belt pressure along and roughly 3/4 of the grip above the belt it prints considerably less, leaves enough to grab and draw but I am afraid it will slip further down and drop out my pant leg onto the floor at the worst possible time :eek:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent IWB snub revolver holster that rides deeper than normal? I have some nice leather for my 1911 but for this I am ok with something off the shelf and not having to wait long for a custom order.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks but I was thinking of something more like

Galco's "Ultra Deep Cover Inside the Pant Holster" which is the same as their "USA Inside the Pant Holster" except the mouth is reinforced for reholstering.

I found one photo of the non-reinforced version for a snub revolver although the owner modified it because it rode low and to give it a forward cant. In his photo you can still see where the j-clip use to be attached to get a sense of how deep it likely is. I want something lower so it is more concealed but probably would want more of a forward cant. If only I were skilled to fashion myself something. :bawling:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=1449566&postcount=21

Apparently they do not make it for the SP101 yet. I inquired as UDC158 lists Taurus 85 along with a number of Smith J-frame and saw some other Galco holsters (eg Ankle Glove) that list the Taurus 85 and SP101 for same model.

Are there any Smith or Taurus owners that have one of these and can give an opinion and ideally a photograph? I saw a few fans of it on a Smith forum. If other Ruger SP101 people here request it with the link below Galco will make it for this model.

http://www.usgalco.com/Request.asp

I am also still interested in other suggestions for low carry.

Pictures to help explain what I'm looking for although I think most understand. This first picture is how high up many IWB holsters would hold the SP101.

I want it lower, like in this second picture which provides enough of a grip to grab and is more concealed.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
Cripes! With those grips, you could be carrying an 8 shot 327 and not have more to hide. Gotta love em, though, they're fine looking grips. If you like the gun, you like the gun.

I also have a tough time finding revolver rigs that sit nice and low. What I have turned to is a Comp-tac C-TAC, which I can adjust for a lower ride. I then skinned the back of it with leather for a more comfortable situation.

It seems like a lot of the leather holster manufacturers like to keep the revolver high on the body to keep the bulk of the cylinder above the belt. I prefer to carry at about the same level as you.

Oh, yeah, the wait time. You can have a C-TAC, or any Comp-tac rig within a week. The only thing is that you need to be "kydex-friendly".

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here's my 640 in the Galco 158.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems better than I thought

Thanks gunsmoke92, it looks like it rides slightly lower than I thought/estimated in my photo, better than I expected. If only it were an option for the Ruger SP101, if you think you might be interested please fill in the request form.

http://www.usgalco.com/Request.asp

Mac10, thanks I'll check out the Comp-tac. I'm partial to leather as it is more comfortable but am open minded. Yeah grips are on the large size but I hate having my pinky dangling in the air like somebody daintily sipping a cup of tea. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yup, you ain't stylin' with a light-walkin pinky. You could always use the C-tac while you continue your search for the perfect leather. That's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Make yourself a "string" holster. Use a piece of para cord with three loops. Start with 3.25, 2.25 and 3.25. Put the end loops thru your belt and the barrel, etc thru the center loop. Won't drop thru. You might have to adjust the loop sizes and spacing to get it just right, but when you do, it works fine. AND it's CHEAP!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts