1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
traded for a defenderlast weekend ,brought home and testfire to check function/reliability . fieldstrip to clean and was surpiised at guiderod and recoil spring construction . has anyone shot one of these enough to determine the durability of these parts ? thanks , Rick

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've only put around 800 rounds through my personal gun, so I can't tell you long term.

The design is not a new one though, it's a LW Seecamp design that Colt licensed, and is in use in Glock's mini-guns, as well as Kimber & ParaOrdnance's 3" models, as well as Kahr's MK9/40 and the Pocket 9 Colt.

I've only seen one failure of the system, in a Kimber Ultra Carry, and believe tht one to be a fluke, but I also don't believe that the guns were meant to be shot for 10's of thousands of rounds either.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just to ease your mind a bit....I purchased a Colt Defender over a year ago, and I had the same concern. So I called Colt and spoke with "Cindy" who assured me that the plastic parts were just as durable as metal for their intended use. I go to the range often, and so far...no problems. Come on, it's a Colt!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
1000 round, looks like new inside.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
So far I have about 700 rounds thru my Colt Defender and there are no signs of wear. I asked the same questions about the springs & guide rod set up and even asked about an aftermarket replacement. Firearms Plus basiclly told me the same thing and to shut up and shoot it. I did, so far no problems at all, recoil is very managable, the springs look good as does the guide rod.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm saving up for a Defender. How is the guiderod and recoil spring contructed, that makes it an issue?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for lack of a better word it just looks flimsy compared to what you're used to seeing inside a 1911 type pistol, has a captive spring inside a sleeve surrounded by a regular size spring .I'm gonna shoot mine and not worry about it. Rick

·
Registered
892 Posts
It may look flimsy, and I may not like they way it scrapes the aluminum frame, but it sure works. I have had a Defender for about 3 years. Once I junked the Colt mags and used Wilsons, I really don't have anything to complain about. I can make head shots at 15 yards all I want. My hands get fatigued after about 50 rounds, but this little guy follows me just about everywhere I go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine came with a single Colt marked mag with an orange painted CMC follower.I had only one chance to fire it so far didn't get to shoot it enough to be able to judge the recoil but it didn't feel that bad. Rick

·
Registered
81 Posts
I filed my slide down a bit to accept the Kimber recoil guide that comes with the ultra compact. I like how it fills in the gap with the barrel. I also put on the Heinie straight eight sights. Bar-Sto barrel and ambi safety. Gun is durable so far 7-800 rounds. My only problem is it feeds ball and GDHP but not hydra-shok. I'm working on it.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
EOS1D

1911 pistols can be tempermental with ammo, particularly 1911s with short slides like the Officers Model and the Defender. If your Defender is reliable with Gold Dots, I would not worry about its ability to feed Hydra-Shoks. You are well armed. You might try other brands and grads of JHP ammo to see what will work if you are interested. But I do not reccommend altering your pistol to get one brand of ammo to feed when it is reliable with another, as you run the risk of losing its ability to feed either, or any JHP ammo.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's mainly selfish, I can get all the hydra-shok I need from my department. It hurts to have to buy a lot of some other brand. But I did start carrying that new Federal EFMJ and being similar to ball, it feeds fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EOS1D
Are the Kimber parts you used only available from factory? Were the necessary mods of the do it yourself kind? Rick

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
ParaOrdnance also uses a similar system in their P10, I think their bushing plug is closed in, and might be an easier fit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
RBerry
The parts were ordered from the Kimber factory. I don't remember the price, but they will re-spring them when your ready for about $20.00. I did install them myself. I filed the slide down because the recoil plug was a litte shorter than the original. I did not find it that hard, but remember when you do it you can't go back.
I personally thought it was worth the risk because it makes for a cleaner looking package.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts