1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update on an earlier story. The Teflon finish was peeling off of my new Defender, so I returned it under warranty. I was afraid that they would try to do a spot treatment on it that wouldn't cut the mustard. I was pleasantly surprised that they did a very nice, full frame refinish. Got it back, looks great:

Now the full story :(

I dropped the gun off at the dealer that I bought it from, with a complete explanation on 7/11/09. Two months later (on 9/11/09) I called the dealer to ask if he knew anything about my gun. He said that he hadn't heard anything from the factory, but he'd call me as soon as he did.

I called the factory on 9/14/09 and told the rep that I had sent it in 2 months prior and would like to get a progress report. He punched in the serial number and in a quizical voice says "It's in the recall department, it was received today". I told him that Defenders don't get "sent in" for the recall, it was supposed to be returned under warranty for the finish peeling off of the frame. With an air of skepticism, he says "I'll see that it goes to the right department when recall finishes with it".

Another two months later (1st week in November), the gun shop calls me to come and get my gun, it just came in.

Being 4 months without it, under questionable circumstances (I wondered if I would ever see it again), I did a quick visual inspection of the finish (it was great), did a full function test on it (it passed) and left, with nearly the same feeling as if my grandpa had been resurrected, LOL.

Got it home, stripped it down, lubed it up & ran a couple of mags through. I had noticed while I was cleaning it prior to firing that the sights appeared to have been repainted (they looked new, but the ones I sent in were shiney silver on top from holster wear). I had also noticed that there were some very light, full length, figure 8 looking not-quite-scratches on the ejection port side of the slide that were not there when I sent it in. The trigger and the grips were also brand new. I noticed at this time that the grip safety had been replaced with a brand new part (Anyone who knows Defenders knows that the factory GS is NOT contoured to the frame, there is a corner that sticks out over 1/16th". I had recontoured mine to blend with the frame & powder blasted it so that it looked like factory finish). Lighting in the picture makes the cut area look a different color, but it wasn't:

It shot very well, no malfunctions and the trigger is better then when I sent it in. Picked up my brass, & the red lights, bells & whistles started going off. There is a very deep, rectangular impression down one side of the headstamp of every one. No, it didn't do that before. Closer inspection showed what was stamping the brass. There is NO WAY this is the slide that I sent in. New brass is on top, old brass on bottom. It's pretty obvious where the damage is coming from, by the transferred brass on the breechface of the slide:

So I called Colt to ask what they did to the gun while they had it.

Rep: Ticka-ticka-tick: "Looks like they refinished the receiver, replaced the barrel bushing, and performed recall". (Just like it says on the repair order that I got back with the gun)

Me: "Yeah, that was one of my questions, Defenders don't HAVE a barrel bushing".

Rep: "Well, it's the cap thing inside the slide, on the end of the big spring".

Me: "The Recoil Spring Bushing?"

Rep: "Yeah I guess, but they call it a barrel bushing".

*Now come on, most of the 1911's they make have a barrel bushing. Why on earth would they call a completely different part, with a completely different function (and it's own name) by that name?

I asked specifically what was done when they "performed recall" and was told that the recoil spring was replaced (the slide that was on my gun when I got it back has the pre-recall spring in it). I explained that when I got the gun back, it had a new grip safety, a new trigger, new grips, and a different SLIDE, with a pre-recall spring.

At this point, the rep says "Hold on & I'll track down the physical file on this". Comes back 9 minutes later and verifies that the only things they did to it are what is listed on the repair order. IF they had replaced the grip safety, the trigger, or the SLIDE, it would have been noted in their file, nobody just goes & gets parts out of a bin and puts them on a gun without documenting it. Rep suggests that I take the matter up with the gun shop.

This is a big shop, with an occasional clown working behind the counter.

EDIT: I just got a call from the shop owner. Though he probably should have been really ticked because of a shopping review that I posted about this experience, he was in fact, quite polite, reasonable & respectful as we talked for about 40 minutes concerning the discrepancies. We came to the conclusion (as G. Freeman suggested) that the parts were changed out at the factory. I'm pretty sure that I got a completely new gun, on my refinished frame. Even if someone at the shop wanted my slide or contoured grip safety for their own gun they wouldn't have had brand new parts to replace them with, let alone all of the internals as well.

Anyway, like I said, it function tests fine, it shoots fine.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Next time you need to return a gun to Colt, return it to them yourself. Colt can return it directly to you. Call them up and they will tell you how to do that.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Your preseverance paid off. Ultimately what matters is your gun came back in a better condition than you sent it in.

BTW it is not uncommon for technicians not to accurately write what was fully done to the gun. In my experience with a couple of other manufacturers, some major parts were changed out but this was not noted on the work order. All in all, as long as it was done, it's good enough for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts