1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long wait I finally laid claim to a Colt Defender and was able to get on the range with it. It is with a heavy heart that I report that it farted and fell. Third shot, from the third mag and thats where it stopped. The empty was in the chamber, the slide was to the rear and the extractor had failed to pull the fired case out and a fresh round was butted up to the empty in the chamber.

I cleared it, did a quick field strip and a mini clean, and went back to shooting. That was the only problem out of 250 rounds.

I did notice the extractor was pretty rough, but that should not be a problem on extraction, it was on the tip and could be a feeding problem but that did not happen.

Back at the ranch and a real good cleaning, a little stoning here and there and all is well, except for the twelve pound trigger, that is another story.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Are you sure you didn't limp-wrist? I've had the kind of malf you describe before because of limp-wristing. One thing I've learned about 1911 pistols to to always check the software (me) before blaming the hardware (gun) because of problems. --Brian

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parker,,,,

No limp wrist here. I have some brass for my reloads that are ready for the scrap heap. On checking the offending case it was obvious that the case was the culprit.

I ran another 250 thur the Defender today and never had a bobble with extraction or ejection and it fed everything.

It is a royal pain in the butt to only have one mag for this gun. I took a hand full of my full size mags with me and everyone of them worked without a hitch. You have to be carfull not to over insert the full size mags, you can lock things up.

This little Colt is slick. Very good accuracy at 25 yards, shoots a little left and on closer inspection noted that the rear sight is drifted to the left.

Overall I like the Defender, I need to work on the heavy trigger pull and move the rear sight but thats all it needs.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
There's a company (A&G) that makes a little slip over plastic piece so you can use the gov mags in the smaller guns without over-inserting.
I assume this is the new one with the blade sight?
I've had a Defender since 98, and (though I don't shoot it as much as I should) it hasn't given me a problem yet. I'm glad to here there wasn't a problem with yours also.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a new Defender, standard 1911a1 styled sights, no front dovetail. The sleeve for using full size mags is interesting, I will have to do a little research and see if I can locate some. Thanks

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Ken, you ran across something that many of us who do volume reloading do - chewed up case rims from dozens of reloadings!

For those of you that reload, or use reloads, check the condition of any reloaded case that fails to feed. "Burrs" get thrown up on the case rims that cause the gun to hang - bad ammo, not the gun's fault, whatever the brand. This is another reason that your carry ammo should be brand new factory ammo, of a brand you have throughly tested in that gun with your carry magazines!

But for practice, many of us get dozens of loadings out of our old brass. Some of mine you can't read the headstamps any more!

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits and Patent Infringements"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts