1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the way the Hogue grips feel, but I really like the classic "Officer" look.

I found some original Officer's hard rubber grip panels and installed them.
The gun was fairly controllable with the Hogues.
Will it be much different with the slim grips?
Hope to shoot it again this weekend and find out.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a defender about a year ago,for some stupid reason or another I sold it.I very briefly put a set of checkered wood grips on it.I noticed that it was much more difficult to control and the checkering tore up your hands after shooting it awhile.Needless to say I put the hogues back on and the recoil control came back with them.I never did try any other rubber ones.I always liked the feel of the hogues.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
No. I first replaced the Hogue (for size reasons only) for checkered rosewood. No difference in controlability (I find the Defender very controllable). Then switched again for a set of CT Laser Grips. Still very controllable.
Mr. O

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.
I know recoil is a subjective thing.
I hope to shoot mine with the thin grips in a few days and am hoping it will shoot as sweet as it did with the Hogues.
Normal grips just look so cool!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I changed to the Alumagrips and I feel they improved my grip. Maybe the Hogues were just to thick or round or something. Now everything feels more streamlined. Didn't notice a recoil difference but my wife says I don't notice a lot of things I should.:rolleyes:

Trog

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trog,
I wondered the same thing.
My hands are not really large, and I wondered if smaller grips might allow me to get a better grip on the gun.

I was hoping to shoot it Saturday and find out, but decided to take the wife out of town.

It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a set of grips from Carbon Creations on my Defender and haven't had any problems. The color matches the frame color almost perfectly, making it look more like a custom piece.

·
Registered
434 Posts
defender grips

I put on a pair of checkered rubber grips with no finger grooves and didn't notice much change if any. Used grip tape on front strap and I like it. Shoot safe! skynyrd1911

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just picked up a CCO model with the same grip as the Defender. It seemed a little bulky for a CCW so I purchased a set of smooth rosewood grips to try both out. The Hogues are big, bulky and a real pleasure to shoot with. The grip is VERY tacky (I mean sticky here not bad taste) on the grip surface and that is both good and bad for me. Good because it doesn't slip around at all, bad because it doesn't slip around at all when you want to readjust my grip. I shot about 100 rounds with the big rubber grips before I switched to the rosewoods. Recoil was a little more of a factor as was expected but not bad. I left the rosewoods on for carry as they will help it to conceal better and control was a non-issue.
After 100 rounds of USA and 40 Hydroshocks, I feel confident that the smooth grips are a better choice for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got to the range to try out the Officer's grips.
No noticable difference in recoil or controllability.
I only fired 7 mags (49 rounds) this time, but there was no wrist pain after this trip.

I worked on some of the sharp edges on the gun last night, but getting rid of them completely may require more patience than I have.

The gun looks good with the thin grips, but more importantly, it shoots well, and conceals well.
The Defender rocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts