1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the whole 1911 scene, I have had my new Kimber PC HD II for 5/6 week and have 1,750 rds thru it to date.

I have been eyeing a Colt Defender for a couple months. The gun is used but looks nice. What would you guyes consider a fair price? What's the MSRP on a new one?

If I do buy it, and it doesn't run, can it be cured economically?

This last question is off topic and doesn't belong here, but I'll ask while I have your attention. What is a Glock 17 w/ 2 17rd mags worth as a trade in?

TIA for any answers/sugestions,

I know I should do a search, I shouldn't even be on here, goeing out of town for a couple days, I got paper work to get in order, just can't stay away from this site, so much info in here...

Later guyes...

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
what are the sights like on the Defender, are they the blade type or Novak style (XS) like these?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, not sure, they are asking $700. The shop I am dealing with are always high, can't blame them, they are trying to make a living, it is up to me to know what I am spending my money on.

What is the differance? Other than 100 bucks more for nite sites?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I'd say you are right, that is a good price, thanks UdontnoME!

I will inspect the Defender closely in a couple days, one thing I can tell you is that it doesn't have the grips with the finger groovs I keep seeing posted!

Anyway thanks for the quick replys, got to go.

Later...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man, that is high.
Call Fugate's Firearms in Calhoun, and drive over to East Tennessee.
They just ordered me a new one for $629 +tax.
Another shop over here has new ones in stock for $699.
If new ones can be had in our state for those prices, then a used one should be what; less than $600?
I would run quickly to another dealer.

I put 130 rounds through mine at their indoor range.
(1/2 hr range time, free with each gun. :) )
I haven't posted a review yet, but I am very pleased with mine.
Recoil was lively, but not painful.
The gun was accurate, and fed Winchester, UMC, S&B, and Wolf 230gr fmj ammo, and Wincheter jhp.
No failures at all with factory mags, or two Shooting Star mags that I was trying out.

Looks like a keeper!

I can't speak about getting a used gun running, but if you do decide to do a search, you'll find less problems with new Defenders than any other compact 1911.
When factory service has been needed, Customer Service response has been very good.
A coworker bought a new one several years ago, and it did have some problems. Colt got it running 100%, and quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts