1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the SAFE Act limits rounds in a magazine to 7 unless you are at a range (even then, you are limited to 10), would you rather use a .45 or 9mm for personal defense? I am not trying to beat a dead horse and I know there is a large debate between the two, but I am not sure this topic has been touched on in this specific way.

I understand the lower recoil of the 9mm would allow for faster follow-up shots and the .45 has more punch to it, but you will be carrying the same amount of ammo per magazine with either weapon. Faster follow-up shots of the 9mm will burn through those 7 rounds faster, making you have to change mags sooner. Since you are limited to carrying the same number of rounds per mag, doesn't it make more sense to carry the round that packs more of a punch?

·
Registered
236 Posts
USMC-

I carry both .45acp and 9mm and if in NY I would carry the pistol that I shot the best with. If I shot both pistols equally well I'd opt for the .45 unless I was going to an event where I needed a smaller profile pistol and would opt for the 9mm. Good luck in NY.

best wishes- oldandslow

·
Registered
8 Posts
In December 2013 a federal judge rejected the SAFE Act's 7 round limit as unconstitutional (limit remains at 10) but upheld the assault weapons ban. In May 2014 NY State Police guidelines amended to ignore the 7 round rule after this ruling.

If you must defend yourself or your family with lethal force, it seems that whether you have 7 or 10 rounds will be the least of your concerns. In NY the use of ANY force MUST be seen as reasonable and justifiable, and pretty much a last resort. Castle laws here are much different than other states (FL for instance).

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
easy decision for me...45

My shot timer and targets tell me there's no practical difference in times and COM hits between 45 and 9

That may or may not be true for you.
Only one way to find out

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
13,176 Posts
I'd choose a Winchester .30-30 over a vest-pocket .25, regardless of follow-up shot speed.

This silly comparison is just a more exaggerated version of the same question.

Go big. ESPECIALLY if round-count is limited!

·
Registered
13,176 Posts
10 yards? That's pretty far for defense shooting, in my opinion.

Five yards or closer are more likely.

So the OP should be more than ok with a .45 cal weapon.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
For me the actual choice is dependent on the attire required for the day... as my pistol options in 9mm are smaller and a little more discreet. When there is no dress code- I prefer the .45.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. I had already decided on the .45 prior to the original post but I was curious as to others' opinions on the situation.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You are correct that this topic has been beat to death. You carry the round and the gun that you shoot best. 45 will always be bigger than 9mm. Todays 9mm ammo, however, is fantastic stuff and closes a lot of the size gap. But like I said, 45 will always be bigger than 9mm. If you believe this is a significant enough difference, then carry 45. But only you can determine what YOU are comfortable with. Personally, I'd feel just fine carrying 7 rounds of Federal HST 9mm.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Since the SAFE Act limits rounds in a magazine to 7 unless you are at a range (even then, you are limited to 10), would you rather use a .45 or 9mm for personal defense? I am not trying to beat a dead horse and I know there is a large debate between the two, but I am not sure this topic has been touched on in this specific way.

I understand the lower recoil of the 9mm would allow for faster follow-up shots and the .45 has more punch to it, but you will be carrying the same amount of ammo per magazine with either weapon. Faster follow-up shots of the 9mm will burn through those 7 rounds faster, making you have to change mags sooner. Since you are limited to carrying the same number of rounds per mag, doesn't it make more sense to carry the round that packs more of a punch?
One of the excuses for carrying 9mm was always, "I can carry more rounds."

With limited round count, I would just use the heavier round - .45.

·
Administrator
73,086 Posts
A lot of it also depends on what the gun/situation is. For concealed carry you can easily find a 7 or 10-round 9mm that'll be easier to CCW than a .45, but of course given New York's laws even getting a CCW permit might be a magic act in itself. For home defense I see little advantage of a 10+1 9mm over a 7 or 8+1 .45, even less so for a 7-round 9mm, so if I were trapped behind enemy lines it would be a .45 1911 for sure. But living as I do where the loonies haven't taken over (yet) I keep a Glock 19 loaded with 18 rounds of +P 9mm, since I don't plan on being able to do any reloads while battling in the buff at 3am.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I thought all disputes in NY were to be settled by a tickle fight followed by a group hug and everyone sharing their feelings...

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
.45acp or 9mm

I like a 1911 that holds 10+1 rounds without the mag sticking way out of the frame, so I carry a .38 super Commander with hot +P+ loads.

For me, I shoot the .38 super slightly faster with my hot combat loads compared to using hot .45acp loads, plus, I have the advantage of two extra rounds using the .38 super.

Fortunately, I live in FL where there are no ammo restrictions for handguns used for self defense.... I have many different guns to choose for concealed carry, high capacity .45's. .38 super, and 9mm guns, various single stack 1911 guns, and easy to conceal very small 9mm guns, so I may vary my choice of gun for any given reason. However, I never carry any gun caliber less than a 9mm+P round......anything lower than a good 9mm self defense round is not an option for me. My smallest gun is a Kel Tec PF-9 loaded with 9mm +P ammo, which I sometimes use for deep concealment or as a back up gun in a pocket or in an ankle holster. I seldom have the need anymore for carrying two guns, but did when I was a LEO, and also with some higher risk security jobs......

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
I own a lot of 9mm but haven't shot a 9 in years,. A lot depends on the gun and since I don't own plastic guns to compare to steel & stainless steel 9s & 45s I will limit my comment to steel and stainless, the 45s felt like a soft punch or push while the 9s felt like a hard slap which (for me) made the 45 easier to control. My personal preference in controlling recoil is the 45. Maybe the lighter plastic guns do not absorb recoil as well as a heavier steel and stainless steel. For me a .45 ACPs recoil s not an issue.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
USMC-

I carry both .45acp and 9mm and if in NY I would carry the pistol that I shot the best with. If I shot both pistols equally well I'd opt for the .45 unless I was going to an event where I needed a smaller profile pistol and would opt for the 9mm. Good luck in NY.

best wishes- oldandslow
I would not bring a gun to NY, It is probably OK to drive thru but I would avoid NY if possible

1 - 19 of 19 Posts