1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been carrying the 200 gr Gold Dot HP +P
in my Defender, but recently read about a test where they performed rather poorly. I don't imagine using them in a short (ie 3-3.5") barrelled .45 like mine helps at all.

Any suggestions? Seems like everybody on other boards use the 185 gr +P Golden Sabre in a short barreled .45.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
For that short of a barrel I would drop down to the 185 or 165 grain loads. Might even check out some of the +P's. I don't have time tonight but I will get you some info. Tomorrow. Seems like I just read something about the 200gr +P Pro-Loads. Anyway I will have some info for you later.

------------------
"Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
See the March 2001 issue of Shooting Times. Page 36 starts an article entitled "How to pick the optimum load for your compact pistol" and they are using 1911s.

They did not use Speer Gold Dot HP+P 200 gr. However, they did use a variety of defensive ammos and tested them in 3 inch (Kimber's 3.16" actually), 4.25", 5", and 6" barrels. In general, the 4.25" barrels were about 30 fps slower than the 5" barrel. The greatest difference was about 50 fps and the least was 10 fps - depending on the brand and weight.

Try to track down an issue. It has some good information.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My personal perference is the Federal HydraShok 165 gr. "Personal Defense" ammo.This round has performed without fail in my Springfield Champion. Also, I have good groups in practice.Luckly, I have not had to find out how it works in an actual defensive situation.Try some, you'll like 'em. 1911 FOREVER!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I usually carry a 4" 1911. I personally witnessed a demonstration by Triton staff in gelatin informally to INS protocol, thru window glass, heavy clothing, car body metal, and just bare gelatin, and against other brands, types and calibers of ammo. I am personally convinced the Quikshok best fits my self defense needs. I chose the 165 gr. vs the 230 gr. because I like the velocity which I have chrono'd consistantly @ 1175-1200 FPS from my 4" pistols. In the Triton test, the 165 and 230 performed virtually identical. My OTHER mag is stoked w/200+p Gold Dots which I generally get about 1000 fps from. Gives me the smorgasbord on my person, if they don't like one, their bound to like the other!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another way to go in the compacts, to ensure ballistic performance is to do what my friend did to his officers model and have a 5' bar-sto barrel installed. left it big on the end for lockup. Carries like an OFF. MDL., hits like a GVT. MDL.!

------------------
"Always place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark"
Lazarus Long

·
Administrator
10,928 Posts
While I am not a big fan of the muzzle flash from the Federal PDA ammo in 45, I've seen it shot into gelatin by pistols of different barrel lengths. As the barrel length shortens, and muzzle velocity goes down, penetration did not vary greatly. The recovered bullets showed less expansion from shorter barrels, but the rounds did not fail to expand and overpenetrate. They are a neat piece of engineering.

TB., NC

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
My personal choice for my Colt Defender is the Federal 165gr Hydra-Shok. I have tried several different brands and just keep coming back to the Hydra-Shok. There is no real reason for my choice other than the absolute reliabilty that I have experienced with this round.

I guess the best way to look at it is to decide which mfg/load you trust the most.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
There's a guy on Pistolsmiths named David Difabio who has done extensive testing on various calibers.

His posts have been interesting and informative. Can't remember what his views were on the PD 165, but he definately had some good info on 230's that was posted here... http://www.pistolsmith.com./viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1636&forum=24&start=0

Worth reading any of his reviews...

Doube Naught mentioned a good article, and one I read with interest.

It's true, you will give up some when you use the shorter barrel's, but it's a tradeoff. It's also one reason I choose to stay with the 5", and nothing shorter than a 4". For me, the difference is concealment is negligible, and the increase in sight radius is a plus.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by jaydee:

It's true, you will give up some when you use the shorter barrel's, but it's a tradeoff. It's also one reason I choose to stay with the 5", and nothing shorter than a 4".
Also, take a look at Ford's post in this thread - it shows that 4 1/4" barrels are the clear winner with certain loads. I have also verified many of the same results personally.
http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000054.html

·
Registered
538 Posts
Harken to the big slow bullet. I would rather use a 230 gr and not worry about expansion from short barrels. As a personal point, I do not use .45 in less than 4.25" barrels. Barrel length has never been a problem for me in concealed carry. Officers lower with commander top is a great combination.

Just because it expands in K&K gel, does not mean it will expand in people. I have a friend that has shot gel for more than 20 years, thousands of rounds, and states that ammo that fragments in gel normally shows expansion in autopsies.
GLV

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hornady XTP. They come in both flavors, slow and heavy and light and fast. They always feed well for me. Top with a Glaser for safety.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts