1911Forum banner

Have you used a firearm for a defensive purpose?

• Yes, and I legally carry.

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • Yes, and I do not carry.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • No, but I personnally know someone who has defended themself with a gun..

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • No, neither I nor anyone I personnally know has defended themself with a gun.

Votes: 26 36.1%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some data for a debate.

Have you ever used a firearm for defense? This includes firing, brandishing, or displaying (i.e. in holster) to end or prevent a crime.
On-Duty LE does not count for this poll.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
You might want to think a little more about your question.
Using a firearm for self defense might mean you pulled your gun and the threat ran away without a shot fired.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I was not specific enough. Please include situations where no shots were fired.

If someone threatened you, and you moved you jacket so they could see your pistol. That would count as a "yes" for this poll.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
I replied Yes, but no shots were fired (in my civilian life that is).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Awww, I clicked the wrong one. Stupid down arrow key.
I meant to click "Yes, and carry", but clicked "Yes, and don't".
So subtract one from the "yes & don't" and add one to the "yes & do", I guess.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's probably not going to help the debate much...a self-selected group of gun owners on one small forum on the web is not what you'd call a broad, statistically valid sample.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
I voted "No, neither......", because, although I do carry concealed and so do many of my friends, none of us has ever had a need to "use or display" our carry weapons.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Yes.....saved my life and another person's.

Know multiple folks who have used their weapon in defense of their or another person's life.

In a no fire situation a good friend (who I suggested buy a Springer 1911) stopped a robbery of his business by simply pointing that nice big barrel opening straight into the BG's face. He would have followed up the pointing with a round but the guy was out the door before you could spit.

I don't currently carry (but would) as we are in a non carry state. Gun is as close as the car though.

Be safe, shot well. :rock:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Yes Once several years back.. A few of my freinds where in a Bad area in West Memphis Arkansas very late at a fast food place.. While we were eating the table across from us had about 4 thug looking guys sitting there.. They were talking about us .. We were all pretty sure it was something about robbing us. The smell of dope and beer was powerfull come from them.. All of us were packing. So 3 of us we mearly pulled or jackets back to reveal 3 fully loaded pistols! Needless to say they left promtly and stared at us nomore. All I could say was thank goodness we were armed and did not have to use our weapons!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Handgun Guy said:
Yes Once several years back.. A few of my freinds where in a Bad area in West Memphis Arkansas very late at a fast food place.. While we were eating the table across from us had about 4 thug looking guys sitting there.. They were talking about us .. We were all pretty sure it was something about robbing us. The smell of dope and beer was powerfull come from them.. All of us were packing. So 3 of us we mearly pulled or jackets back to reveal 3 fully loaded pistols! Needless to say they left promtly and stared at us nomore. All I could say was thank goodness we were armed and did not have to use our weapons!
That serves them right. I love when BGs come face to face with people that refuse to be victims.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Counting out duty use yes, 3 times

1 Attempted Carjacking

1 guy road raging who decided he was gonna beat me to death with a tire iron

another time though i forget what it was :grumble:

·
Registered
166 Posts
brandishing

I would not call brandishing a proper self-defense technique.

Either you are fearfull enough to go for your gun or not. Brandishing will get you into hot water when the guy runs off and calls the police on you for brandishing no matter what he did.

Brandishing is nothing more than a pissing contest. Mine is bigger than your type thing.

Either use it or keep it in the holster.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
abaldeagle said:
I would not call brandishing a proper self-defense technique.

Either you are fearfull enough to go for your gun or not. Brandishing will get you into hot water when the guy runs off and calls the police on you for brandishing no matter what he did.

Brandishing is nothing more than a pissing contest. Mine is bigger than your type thing.

Either use it or keep it in the holster.
I disagree, if showing your pistol allows to get out of a situation where you must shoot someone, it's a good thing.

It is not a pissing contest. It is a means of getting out the door without having to kill someone first.

It's not so black and white.

·
Registered
874 Posts
What do you mean by 'brandish'? Like showing while its in the holster? Or are you saying if you draw iut you should always shoot the aggressor?

All three of my cases I 'drew down' and they decided to look for other targets so are you saying i shouldnt have done that?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Brandishing is frequently used as a legal term that implies "waving it around like a fool" or threatening, and is a judgement of the legitimacy of showing a weapon. Drawing a gun in a ready position against a legitimate threat is technically "brandishing", but is not charged if the there is a reasonable cause. Pulling a gun when there is reasonable cause is smarter/better than waiting until the last minute according to the "only pull it if you're going to shoot" mentality, and lots better than shooting someone who might have ceased and desisted at the sight of an armed and prepared citizen, which is apparently how most of these CCW situations work.

JMO,

Ben

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I voted the last option. I have never had to use my weapon for self defense. But I was prepared to do so one time. My gun was in an open briefcase facing me when an upset gentleman entered the building I was in with a shotgun. After a few tense moments of discussion, he calmed down, set the gun down to continue our conversation in a responsible manner, and that was the end of it. He never pointed the gun in my direction...he was simply holding it in an upright position. I never had to bring my gun out of the briefcase and he never even knew it was there.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
A discreet "peek" has stopped countless situations.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BillD said:
I disagree, if showing your pistol allows to get out of a situation where you must shoot someone, it's a good thing.

It is not a pissing contest. It is a means of getting out the door without having to kill someone first.

It's not so black and white.
+1

(from personal experience)

·
Banned
129 Posts
I voted "Yes, and I legally carry." and let me clarify my situation. I was in my car and a victim or road rage. When got off the highway (unfortunately we both used the same exit) he had me blocked between curbs with a car behind me then exited his car charging back at me with something in his hand. I reached in the gun pocket of a 5-11 Tactical Coat which he saw me do and immediately turned around and got in his car. He had a cell phone and I never had to show my gun. he yelled out the window he was going to call the cops about the incident and I encouraged him to do so (which someone said the first caller has an advantage and in the future I need to call first; especially if I draw). Still going in his direction, he flagged down an oncoming cop who didn't stop till he got beside my car LOL, I told the story first and just drove on while the trouble maker waited in his rage to speak to the cop.

Funny how road rage people think their screeching sideways to a halt or driving up a lawn to summons a cop gives them some sort of edge. Somehow I think the cop sees it as who the obvious offender is. Road rage sure makes you think poorly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
wboggs said:
I voted "Yes, and I legally carry." and let me clarify my situation. I was in my car and a victim or road rage. When got off the highway (unfortunately we both used the same exit) he had me blocked between curbs with a car behind me then exited his car charging back at me with something in his hand. I reached in the gun pocket of a 5-11 Tactical Coat which he saw me do and immediately turned around and got in his car. He had a cell phone and I never had to show my gun. he yelled out the window he was going to call the cops about the incident and I encouraged him to do so (which someone said the first caller has an advantage and in the future I need to call first; especially if I draw). Still going in his direction, he flagged down an oncoming cop who didn't stop till he got beside my car LOL, I told the story first and just drove on while the trouble maker waited in his rage to speak to the cop.

Funny how road rage people think their screeching sideways to a halt or driving up a lawn to summons a cop gives them some sort of edge. Somehow I think the cop sees it as who the obvious offender is. Road rage sure makes you think poorly.

Yes it does, good thinking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts