1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be old news, but I just started reading the most recent James Bond novel, "Double Shot", and saw that Del Fatti was mentioned as the creator of Bond's holster for his P99. I used to know the author, Raymond Benson, who lived in Austin for a time. Thought it was great, sitting on the plane, reading my little Bond novel, then suddenly seeing the Del Fatti reference. Has this been mentioned before?

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The DelFatti line is abbreviated...but absolutely tops in quality...and I love the look of just about everything that they do !!!

I visit the site regularly just to drooool!

And in comparison to "some" high quality manufacturers out there, the prices "do not" break the bank!

They will supply me with my next "leather" holster.
Decisions...decisions...!

Stocky

------------------
Anyone who isn't a paranoid schizophrenic now-a-days, just isn't thinking clearly!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Milt Sparks holsters gets mentioned in my very favorite fiction book of all times, Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Good choice Stocky...I have the ISP-3 for my P7 with a matching mag holder...top notch.

[This message has been edited by P7 (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Inspector Harry,
I loved Point of Impact! Maybe it's b/c I'm a Marine or maybe b/c Stephen Hunter seems to know a lot about firearms and shooting, unlike that other guy Tom Clancy (like his books but what's up with the MP-10SSD - no such thing and a Beretta .45 in Rainbox Six?).

Read any of Hunter's other books? Another good author that you may enjoy is David Morrell. The Fifth Profession was my favorite.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pointman--I just picked up the Hunter books in his series. Haven't gotten to them yet. Have you read them all? What's your reviews (not to get away from the original topic, but what the hell, it's my posting)?

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Pointman, there is a Beretta .45, called the Cougar. Been out for years. Clancy is a big .45 fan, and a Beretta fan, so he thought the Cougar would be a nice melding of the two. Not my personal choice, but not bad.

As for the MP10SD, what's the big deal? Is there an MP-5 in 10mm? Yup, and in FBI service, although it's no longer being manufactured. Is there a suppressed version? Probably, but my pay grade is too low to know about such things.

Besides, Clancy is entitled to a little artistic license since his books aren't really set in a given time period. In one of his books, he wrote about a Beretta 10mm, when the 10mm was the hot item, and he thought Beretta would go for it. Too bad they didn't.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Paladin,
I've read all of his books except the Spanish Gambit. Of all of them, I still think Point of Impact was the best. After that I'd have to say Midnight (can't remember the title but it has midnight in it). Third choice would be Dirty White Boys. Dark Light's not bad as well as Time to Hunt. Hot Springs was a little lame but worth the read. If you like this type of genre, try Third Option (recent book-can't remember author) as well as the David Morrell series I recommended.

Buzz_Knox: Pay grade has nothing to do with knowledge. There is no HK made MP-5/10mm that is integrally suppressed. In addition, you'll note that almost all major US CT teams use 1911 .45's (of course in R-6 they were based in Hereford). I'm still a fan of Clancy but for an author that is known for his technical accuracy in these areas, I was a little surprised.

I read in another post that Clancy also doesn't beleive in carry a round in the chamber. This leads me to believe he knows more about writing than shooting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by Pointman:

This leads me to believe he knows more about writing than shooting. [/B]
One more: to go back a few books further, in "Without Remorse," Clancy has his hero modifying a 1911 .22 conversion to take a suppressor -- by threading the barrel to take the suppressor. Is there some way to do this without either a longer barrel or modified slide or something else that's not obvious to me?

I may have missed something obvious -- I'm not a gunsmith; I don't even play one on TV. But this seemed odd.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Anyone know where I can get those cool rocket skates that Willey coyote uses to chase the roadrunner...I called Acme but the number was disconnected.....

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pointman--Since some of his books are a series, is there a particular order you would suggest reading the Hunter books in?

P7--You can get those skates at K-Mart now, I think they have them on sale, next to the anvils you drop off cliffs.

------------------

·
Registered
92 Posts
P7 - LOL

Paladin,
Well, I just read them as they came out. I think Point of Impact was first, then Dark Light, then Time to Hunt, and finally Hot Springs. Actually, Hot Springs (the newest one) I think talks about Swagger's father, the MOH winner. Perhaps that should be read first even though it was written last. Enjoy.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Pointman, I was sort of kidding about the MPs. But I would never claim that a particular variant of a known weapon didn't exist. I've seen too many special runs and special contracts to claim that.

As for Clancy's being a shooter, how many people do you know who have a private range as an addition to their house? He did. He may not carry with one in the chamber, but a lot of others don't. Maybe he just talked to one too many Israelis or Mossad agents.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I've been reading Harlequin romance novels for years and there has never been a refernece to any holster, delfatti or otherwise...who's this Clancy fellow and does he write steamy southern love stories with holsters? I can only hope...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buzz_knox - Yeah, I know what you mean about special runs on certain products.

Didn't know Clancy had his own shooting range at his home. Thought about doing this one day. Wonder what type of legal hoops I"ll have to jump through.

I believe the Mossad carry their Glocks in Condition 3 not by choice but due to govt. regulation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts